When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DEFINITIVE. Solved sec at 12 or Sec at 6 - A7750 -

rosnik

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread here.

However, isn't it being just a tad bit optimistic to say that this is the definitive fix? There are some that have had movement @ 6 chrono modules run flawlessly since they purchased them. Others have had catastrophic failures with theirs. I am sorry, but I think I will revisit this in about a years time and see how these modded movements are holding up.

Also, some photos of the mod would be nice to see. Just being the "Watch Modder of the Year" isn't going to make me want to have my watch modified with such an untested method.

Just my 0.02

Interesting technical discussion. I highly appreciate the effort put into the contributions and that you take the time to shear it with the community. :)

We are all here for the love of watches and things mechanical. Improvements and experience transfer by sharing knowledge.

Here is a good example of my details above...

This is a LWO 283 Chrono module, for a movement used in the Genuine AP with Running Seconds at 12.

In this module, the transfer of seconds from the middle of the movement to the 12 position is only via 3 gears, 1 gear on the end of the seconds post on the ETA 2892A2, a flat transfer gear (not unlike the one in the center of the A7750) and a pivoted gear for the hand to attach to.

Please note the following points, look at the jewelling and the efforts to reduce friction, and this for only 2 moveable gears (as compared to 4 moveable gears on the A7750), also look at the design of the transfer gear, it's completely jewelled and also held in position by a small arm and the center is also jewelled, so the gear doesn't move around when the watch is moved (unlike the A7750 where the center gear is loose between the plates).

This is a correct design, if it takes this much work for only 2 gears, how much would we need for the 4 gears on the A7750.

Comments?

Great info. Thanks for sharing. Funny to read the graphite didn't work after a mirror polish. Same here.

Funny to read the graphite didn't work after a mirror polish. Same here.

Strange. I wonder if your metal is contaminated with something containing silicone? I have not experienced any problems at this end & JlC has been using powdered graphite as a 'lifetime' lubricant in their high end watches without any problems that I am aware of (JlC is where I got the idea from).

Strange. I wonder if your metal is contaminated with something containing silicone? I have not experienced any problems at this end & JlC has been using powdered graphite as a 'lifetime' lubricant in their high end watches without any problems that I am aware of (JlC is where I got the idea from).

I use a nano polish as last step. It smoothens out the surface on molecular level.

I just received my AP Roo Gstaad with the new mod from Domi.

It was previously modded and repaired twice by Francisco and once by Domi.

The AP has been a true problem child for me. :wounded1:

Now it’s running very smooth – no jerky action on seconds hand at all and lots of power reserve on first test. Incredible :good:

Gstaad1.jpg

Gstaad2.jpg

Gstaad3.jpg

Gstaad4.jpg

Gstaad5.jpg

Gstaad6.jpg

I don't understand why we can't see the procedure ...

Is it like a super secret patented method that all of us would try to copy afterwards?

I thought this community was about sharing knowledge and not trying to make a profit.

That being said, I think this thread is a sad example of a trend noticeable throughout RWG at the moment. It has absolutely no value at all to the community.

Cheers, Tim

I don't understand why we can't see the procedure ...

Is it like a super secret patented method that all of us would try to copy afterwards?

I thought this community was about sharing knowledge and not trying to make a profit.

That being said, I think this thread is a sad example of a trend noticeable throughout RWG at the moment. It has absolutely no value at all to the community.

Cheers, Tim

now Tim please show me how you supported this community .... ;)

Edited by Star69

I use a nano polish as last step. It smoothens out the surface on molecular level.

I am not familiar with nano polish, but since, ideally, the graphite should be applied very thinly (a molecular layer is recommended), the polish may be the reason it is not adhering. I generally clean the surface with denatured alcohol prior to applying the powdered graphite to be sure it adheres.

The jerky seconds hands on any displaced subdial movement, is caused by the spaces between the teeth of the transfer gears.

A simple and effective way to reduce and sometimes eliminate jerky seconds hands, is to install a very small dial washer over the post of the last gear, the post with the seconds hand attached to it. The dial washer acts as a damper and eliminates the jerkiness in the hand.

In fact, given all the spaces between the transfer gears, less friction will result in MORE jerkiness, not less...the dial washer proves it, it adds slight friction and damping to the motion. The washer is normally found on the latest versions of the movement, it's put there by the factories to reduce jerkiness and slightly increase friction to take up the gaps between the gear teeth...