When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex GMT original or redialed face ?

alterego

Hi fellow Rolex Forum mmembers:

I posted this question in the general forum and I thought I'd do the same here, an instance that gathers so mny Rolex fans. I hope you give me your opinion. The watch looks a lot better than the pics show.

Thank you for reading my post.

Best

A friend is thinking about buying this GMT and he asked me about the dial condition. I told him it's a gen dial (as well as the watch) but it looks the hour markers or the entire dial have been retouched. I could be wrong but the texture of the stark white markers for an old watch like the 1675 is suspicious to me.

What do you guys think ?

Your comment will be welcome, even if they are not encouraging.

Thank you allfor taking the time to read this post.

Best.

"

post-1234-0-77041300-1327285992.jpg

post-1234-0-71801400-1327286051.jpg

post-1234-0-47907900-1327286111.jpg

It's a genuine MKI 1.6mil series to mod 2mil series

I have the same dial in my Franken.

9d11aa89.jpg

about the lume markers, it's hard to say.

It's not so much the colour that puts me off, but the wobbling outline.

But since the hands are way darker, I'd say refinished dial!

Agreed. See the tiny serifs at the corners of the 6:00 and 9:00 markers? And the distinctive sharp points on the 12:00 triangle? Compare them to the original photos. Definitely redone.

also if you look close you can see some light spotting (tiny white pinpoint dots) on the dial; i'm guessing this one was flooded at some pointed, at the very least relumed and as nanuq has pointed out, potentially repainted as well.

i'd tell your friend to keep looking; there are plenty of great 1675s out there. this one is a particularly nice set (albeit pricey for a normal 1675); throw some new hands on there and you have a watch for the ages ;)

deltatahoe

Thank you guys. Your comments coincide with my impression. They tried to "clean" the hour markers and ended up with this porous chalky surface on them. I'll tell my friend the watch is fine but he deserves to get a good discount for purchsing an untouched dial, if he wants to buy this watch.

Thank you all for your valuable opinions.heers

Definitely has tritium migration and "foaming" going on, but I disagree with the retouched lettering comments. Nearly every "long E" Mk 1 dial I've seen has goofy lettering on it. The "O" in rolex looks like it's cocked a bit, the spacing between all the letters in rolex is off, the L is practically touching the E. The SCOO is all off too.

Have a look at these. There are several Mk1 dials.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/539585/message/1172274032/1675--Various+dials--posted+by+Morgan