When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cheap and Dirty Tudor 7928

jmb

sgtguk mentioned the fleabay sterile vintage cases from HK and I remembered picking up a couple a few months back out of curiosity - I believe he has these listed at $69 plus $10 S&H. I decided this would be a good excuse to test out my "new" hand and see if I could do stuff without tearing anything up.

The case is set up for a 2836 (or equiv) and comes with a sterile Snowflake Date type dial (ETA), movement spacer, a set of axe hands (ETA), sterile trip-lock style crown, and three NATO straps in Grey/Green, Black and Blue. Have I ever mentioned that I'm not fond of straps? :whistling: Although the bezel attachment is not gen like (uses octo-paperclip spring) it does come with lug holes and the stock crystal is so poorly glued in that it's extremely easy to pop out. This is a completely sterile case without lug engraving or any engraving inside the case-back. The CGs don't look all that bad (these haven't been touched) but the "pearl" is just sort of painted on

In it's stock form it comes with a crystal with magnifier but since I was building a no-date type watch I popped it out and started digging through the crystal box for something that would fit without a whole lot of effort. Imagine my surprise when a T21 dropped right into the milled crystal slot just like it was made for it! I mixed some clear epoxy and laid it in the milled channel for the crystal, seated the crystal, and set it aside to cure. After the glue had cured I reassembled the bezel onto the case and moved on to the innards.

I had a 2836 which I had never gotten around to reassembling after cleaning it so I figured this would be a good test for the fingers. I reassembled and lubed the movement and I was pleasantly surprised at how much easier it was without numb fingers!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: It actually runs although I seem to have lost the "hack lever" over the past 1+ year it's been torn apart!!! I stuck on one of my "decal" dials and a ratty looking set of hands and popped everything into the case. I then stuck it on the timer and adjusted it to .1 msec beat error and -2 sec/day and called it good 'nuf and screwed on the back. I then threaded on the NATO strap and pronounced it a watch.

All-in-all I don't think it turned out too bad and I would actually wear it if not for the strap so it'll probably show up in the for-sale section or get disermboweled and go back into the parts box.

Here's some pics:

post-24124-0-68754800-1329256821.jpg

post-24124-0-84728900-1329256834.jpg

post-24124-0-80982700-1329256847.jpg

post-24124-0-86992700-1329256864.jpg

post-24124-0-98850100-1329256890.jpg

post-24124-0-05887900-1329256906.jpg

post-24124-0-60457300-1329256926.jpg

post-24124-0-67998300-1329256949.jpg

post-24124-0-53608100-1329256965.jpg

post-24124-0-56394800-1329256978.jpg

The "pearl" is just a spot of lume paint so to really do it righ it needs to be popped off, a hole drilled, and a pearl dot glued in...

We have the technology!

Great little beater you made there J!

You should send a pic of it to the eBay guy selling these kits :)

Oh, gag! No straps - PERIOD!! =@:bleh:

I think you might be pleasantly surprised with the Tropic-style strap, the waffle back and venting makes it comfortable to wear in hot weather, and if it gets wet, they dry incredibly quickly :tu: Failing that, I guess you could just put it on a bracelet :whistling:

sea - Case was a "sterile" vintage style Sub case from fleabay seller onlinestorehk. He usually has them on a "Buy It Now" with "Make Offer" option. I bought a couple and they averaged out to $60/ea with shipping...