When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 1:1 42mm Explorer 2 vs Gen - pics

hilts

My new Trusty 1:1 arrived (after some faff - see here) so I've taken some pics against my Gen for comparison.

There are others more experienced at this than I am, so I'll only post a few impressions and leave the pics to do the talking.

Overall, I'm happy with the watch - feels good out of the box and no glaring errors. Movement is smooth and lume, while not Gen quality, is very good for a rep - possibly the best rep lume I've seen easily legible after 6/7 hours dark.

Couple of things I've spotted - bezel numbers on the Gen are slightly thicker/bolder. Numbers on the datewheel on Gen are slightly smaller, although rep lines up well which maybe doesn't come across on these pics. Explorer II is a slightly lighter shade on the rep than the Gen. These things are spotted when you're side by side with a Gen (if you look closely) but with the Rep on its own you wouldn't pick these up (apart from the missing barcode on the side of the case).

All in all I'd recommend it although with some minor tweaking this would be a real dazzler of a watch.

PS the Gen is the one on the little cushion ;)

post-5410-0-49324000-1329391586.jpg

post-5410-0-39658100-1329392017.jpg

post-5410-0-34104900-1329391591.jpg

post-5410-0-33295400-1329391594.jpg

post-5410-0-59732000-1329391597.jpg

post-5410-0-36270500-1329391600.jpg

post-5410-0-00046400-1329391603.jpg

post-5410-0-35484100-1329391606.jpg

post-5410-0-26399200-1329391609.jpg

post-5410-0-82183800-1329391611.jpg

post-5410-0-64489300-1329391580.jpg

post-5410-0-83935100-1329392019.jpg

This is your gen, but you weren't aware the barcode is only on the clear protective sticker? Hmmm… Why no side-by-side?

Anyways, nice pics! I wish the lume was a little closer to pure white in daylight, the grayish hue is my biggest gripe. How's the crown / tube? I got an early version, also 21j, and it was rough winding & screwing down.

This is your gen, but you weren't aware the barcode is only on the clear protective sticker? Hmmm… Why no side-by-side?

Anyways, nice pics! I wish the lume was a little closer to pure white in daylight, the grayish hue is my biggest gripe. How's the crown / tube? I got an early version, also 21j, and it was rough winding & screwing down.

Yep is indeed. No wasn't aware it was just a sticker! Doh - I've never worn it (that's what the rep is for - I'm keeping the gen as new in case I have to sell it if funds are needed). I'll take a side by side specially for you!

Agreed on the lume - it is very slightly off colour whereas the gen is really pure white. Again, you might notice it side by side but on its own the rep is fine.

Tube seems OK - smooth winding - but the threads as often on rep seem a bit rough when screwing in the crown - gently does it!

• 3 weeks later...

Yep is indeed. No wasn't aware it was just a sticker! Doh - I've never worn it (that's what the rep is for - I'm keeping the gen as new in case I have to sell it if funds are needed). I'll take a side by side specially for you!

Agreed on the lume - it is very slightly off colour whereas the gen is really pure white. Again, you might notice it side by side but on its own the rep is fine.

Tube seems OK - smooth winding - but the threads as often on rep seem a bit rough when screwing in the crown - gently does it!

You've never worn the gen Explorer? What's the purpose of owning a watch if you are going to keep it in the safe? Watches are meant to be worn on the wrist and enjoyed. If you are looking at watches as an investment vehicle, there are much better choices available. While a watch may not lose value over the years, it will not gain as much as stocks or bonds.

I reckon rolex will out-perform bonds - 3% yield for a 30 year bond is absolutely ridiculous

There are several high yield bond funds that are doing quite well at the moment. Much better than the 3% you quoted However, the point of my post was that a watch should be worn and not hidden away.

I do like this new explorer II . Think i have to order one and try out how it looks compared to the older version.

Anyone has experience with the 42mm explorer compared to this new beauty.

Carpe Diem

Cats

I have said many times:

Take this new EXP ,fit a good DW and trim the CG's .You will have a super Rolex rep for less than 250$...

Definatelly the best copy of Rolex modern range!!!

Where would you get a better dw from? I'll definitely get one of these if they're easy to come by!

--

Thanks for the review by the way, great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have the Black dial version of this watch and the yellowish lume on the hands and dial markers is much more noticable against the black dial. Note sure why the makers would have had problems with this as the DSSD models successfully have white lume markers that are blue in the dark! Perhaps it is a way of being able to bring forward a NEW and IMPROVED 3rd version.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the overlay from BK, got the watch too. Really nice apart from the slight blue AR tint on the cyclops. It's bugging me!

Anyone know how to remove it? Is it on the cyclops, underneath the crystal or between the two?

Currently waiting for a gen crystal to be sourced in the next week or so. Again does anyone know if it'll take it?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk