When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case Comparison (etaswiss vs. TC)

omgiv

I received my 16610 case set from Sean at etaswiss yesterday and was very excited to see what all of the buzz was about. I have been looking for a good midcase and caseback, as I want to build a franken Submariner. The only things I am missing at the moment are the movement and case. I have heard really good things about the etaswiss case and couldn't wait to take it apart. I have to say that communication with Sean was great and his shipping was fairly fast.

I should first start out saying that I will not be using the etaswiss case for this project :( While it is a good case, I could not get my genuine 93250 bracelet to fit. i could get one of the spring bars into the hole, but not the second. I tried several different types of spring bars, but the hole is just a little too close to the middle of the case. The options to modify the bracelet or case are there, but I amjust not open to them. That being said, I think that I will be using the TC case that I received a week or so ago. The bracelet fits that case fine without any modification. The gap between the SEL's is about the same on both cases and I would rather have a genuine bracelet with minimal gap than a cheaper rep bracelet. Maybe if the SEL project pans out, I will look into my options. I just don't like how loose rep bracelets tend to be.

I am not as eloquent as some of the members here and I am certainly not the best photographer, but I did want to share a little side-by-side comparison of the TC case and the etasiss case. I will let the pictures do most of the speaking and leave little commentary to me. The only modifications that have been done are retapping the crown tube on both cases and removing the rehaut engraving on the TC case. Thanks for looking!!!!!

One of the things that people have been talking about is how good the etaswiss bezel looks. I have to say that the bezel teeth look very good compared to my genuine bezel. I did not, however, try to install a genuine insert so I can't speak on that. Perhaps someone else can chime in. The teeth aren't quite as sharp as those on the genuine bezel, but I am sure that the genuine bezel would loose its lines once polished. I snapped several pictures comparing it to my genuine bezel and also the bezel that comes with the TC case.

Genuine Bezel (left) vs. etaswiss bezel (right)

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Genuine Bezel (left) vs. etaswiss bezel (middle) vs. TC bezel (right)

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Genuine Bezel (bottom) vs. etaswiss bezel (middle) vs. TC bezel (top)

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

The case shape of both cases is very good and I can't really see any difference that scream out at me. I snapped some pictures of the crown guards, lugs, etc.

TC case (left) vs. etaswiss case (right)

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

The engravings between the lugs are a toss up. Neither are 100% accurate but at least everything is spelled correctly on both cases:) You can also see that the shape of the crown guards are very similar.

TC case (top) vs. etaswiss case (bottom)

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

The casebacks are also very similar. The TC case has the correct number (2160) while the etaswiss case has the number for GMT models (2180). The TC caseback does have very sharp teeth and fit my caseback removing die perfectly. The etaswiss caseback also fit, but there was a little bit extra hanging out from the bottom of the die.

TC caseback (left) vs. etaswiss caseback (right)

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

TC caseback

DSC_0015.jpg

etaswiss caseback

DSC_0014.jpg

, I could not get my genuine 93250 bracelet to fit. i could get one of the spring bars into the hole, but not the second. I tried several different types of spring bars, but the hole is just a little too close to the middle of the case. The options to modify the bracelet or case are there, but I amjust not open to them.

Thank you for interesting write up!

About Etaswiss/ Gen 93250 ,

On my Sean's 16610 Case, the GEN 93250 fit without problem.

I suppose it's your single case problem .

Thanks for the commenst guys! I do have an update. After reading Rosnik's comment about being able to fit a genuine 93250 to his etaswiss case, I went back to the bench. I brought out every spring bar I had and tried them all. I found one that will let me attach the genuine bracelet to the etaswiss case. It was in a plain bag, so I don't know where I got it from. Ofrei usually writes on theirs, so I don't think I bought them from ofrei. The only rub is that they are 1.8mm instead of 2mm. I would usually not want to use them, but there is absolutely no play in the end links. There is still a slight gap but no wiggle at all. Anyway, since I can fit the genuine bracelet to it I may use the etaswiss midcase and TC caseback combination. Here are some pictures of what that would look like:

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

The etaswiss bezel will take a genuine insert without modification. It is very difficult to get in, much like the TC bezel but it will fit. The etaswiss bezel, however, will not fit onto the TC retaining ring. The retaining ring on the TC case is larger than the one on the etaswiss case. I tried but did not want to push it for fear of bending the bezel or not be able to get it back off. I did try the TC bezel on the etaswiss retaining ring and it slipped on and off.

TC retaining ring

DSC_0001-2.jpg

etaswiss retaining ring

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the etaswiss bezel and a genuine bezel both with genuine inserts installed. You can be the judge of which is which.

DSC_0004-3.jpg

DSC_0007-3.jpg

I almost finished assembling an ETASWISS sub. I put a 2824-2 in it. I too found the retaining ring smaller than the TW sub's and wm9's.

The ETASWISS bezel that I got however is very different from omgiv's. The bezel teeth are the nicest, longest, closest to gen's, beating any other sub rep bezels'. But it is too small for gen insert, by quite a bit. I haven't done it but I will have to file down the edge of a gen insert to fit it. I guess there's variance from one ETAWISS bezel to the next. I'll take pics of the ETASWISS bezel that I got.

bk

Edited by bklm1234