When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your watch is a fake!

dandan118

Have you ever been sat in a public place like in the pub with your mates & someone comments on your watch & asks you "is that a fake?"

If so, what do you tell them?

I personally would never buy a Rolex as nearly everyone will assume it's a fake!

I was taking with friends over the weekend & they think i am mad buying a replica watch for £150 when i can buy a nice regular watch for the same money.

Just wondering how everyone handles the question "Is that a real watch?"

I have never been questioned myself, but if someone would ask in a rude way then the classic "I dunno to be honest - took it off a dead body at [dodgy street name]" would be my choice of answer.. :lol:

Otherwise: "What do you think?" and if the answer is yes then I'd follow up with "..and why is that?" to flip things around (as most people can't point out the tells anyway and those who can would most probably never ask that question). Or just a simple "Yes, it's a just a nice looking $50 knock-off that tells the time".

Person : Daaaamn thats a nice watch!

Me : Yes I reply. Its a replica of a really expensive watch, it looks the same, it has the same weight, its just about as reliable and I love it.

Person : Can I have a look?

Me : Be my guest :)

Person : Can you get me one, I cant believe this is a replica.

Me : Surely I can!! *Sold a watch*

This happens ALL the time....

EDIT : And if someone starts arguing about... Its fake its crap its this & that.. Its fairly easy to convince them that this is FAAAAAR better quality than your average holiday shopped replica...

EDIT : And you can always reply to the question like one on this forum did. But I cant recall who.....

Person : Is that a real watch??

Forum Member : No its a tattoo.

Same here.... never been asked that question. I honestly dont think I ever will.

If someone was to be so classless as to ask me If my watch was a fake. :g: ..I would probably ask them If there shoes or shirt or gold ring/necklace was real...you know..whats good for the goose. ;)

Mike

Guest Gotohavearolexnow

I like the what do you think answer , I've always taken my watch of without answering and then just shown them ! That's normally enough

Most normal people never ask. Most of the time people have no idea.

I've been asked twice so far.

Once in a Omega AD shop, when I walked in with my IWC rep, which lead to a great conversation with the shop owner who happens to be a rep collector as well

The other time was by a very annoying self proclaimed know-it-all fella in front of other people in a meeting, so I answered: "No, it's a figment of your deranged imagination". The people around us laughed and luckily it shut him up for the whole meeting, so we were able proceed without his usual constant blah-blah and smart-ass remarks.

Also:

Annoying chap: "Is this a fake?"

Rep owner: "No it's a genuine MBK 1665/NOOB Pam 390/OMSE57 Planet Ocean from Joshua"

Best one you can give ;)

I think that's a myth, or related to the wearer.

I've been wearing Rolex watches daily for the last four years. I wear both reps and a couple gens, from subs to explorers. I have close contact with over a hundred people from many walks of life every day and that includes the five or six people I work with.....not one time has a single person asked that. I have had many compliments and sometimes questions as to what model....

Maybe if your in high school and wearing a thirty thousand dollar Daytona while eating a sack lunch.... :partytime:

Context is king.

I've been trading watches since college. My friends have seen me with $100 seiko's and 15k patek's and the like. They don't even bat an eye when I rock my Dewitt Academia.

Even when people comment on the Dewitt none of them mention anything about price just that they think its a super cool watch.

Never been asked. And to be honest, people rarely ever even noticed the watch. I did get a compliment once at a bar in vegas. I was wearing my IWC Portuguese Regulateur and a guy down the bar noticed the watch and said "That's a nice looking IWC". I thanked him and that was the end of it ;)

If someone asked point blank, I would say it's a replica and show it to them if they wanted to see it. Not that big of a deal in my opinion.

Never been asked, but I've certainly been complimented on my watches. I sometimes wear a Breguet tourbillon rep that is an obvious rep, but no one has ever said anything other than, "Wow, that's a cool watch!"

Honestly, the quality of the movements in reps nowadays is as good or better than your average off-the-shelf $150.00 "real" watch from the mall department store. And the reps look a HELL of a lot better than a Casio or Fossil.

Great responses so far.

Context, age, and where you are located are all key.

In my geographic location: Gen's are everywhere.

My Age is greater than 35: By this stage in life, most anyone could afford/own/buy a Gen

So, nope. I think I am passed being asked the question. Although,many friends I have handed GEN Rolex's to, that knew they were Gen, all

responded with "I thought it would have been heavier and going by feel would have thought it to be fake!" (Gen Stainless, Hollow Mid's)

Finally, the "It's a Rolex, it must be fake" is so statistically inaccurate that comment just shows ignorance IMHO. Rolex produces around 700,000 watches a year, and there are roughly 40,000 members of the Rep Community. About 1 in 6 Rolex's in the wild is probably fake. A betting man would bet on Gen.

• Like 1