When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Black Bay Inspired Fantasy

jmb

I believe this experiment has reached it's conclusion. Although it's by no means accurate I think I've captured the "essence" of the original. Someday when there are more "in the wild" pictures floating around I may attempt to brew up something a bit more accurate if it hadn't been repped by then. It would be a shame for this not to be repped as 90% of it would likely be stock "off the shelf" parts.

I took a run-of-the-mill sapphire Submariner case and ground off the CGs and then filed and polished the crown size to shape. I then added the red insert to a "paperclip spring bezel" from some vintage case and it snapped right onto the mid-case, this gives me an bi-directional bezel. I sacrificed a Maxi 14060 dial, applied a modified 7928 gilt decal, and then reattached the hour markers. The Tudor font is not correct for the Heritage but is a throwback to the vintage model, a future decal may contain the correct fonts. I then modified a set of ETA snowflake hands and mounted the dial and hands to a DG2813 movement. These hands are a bit short for this dial so if anybody that has complained about getting hands that were too long for their gen dial could tell me where they got them from I'll get me dome!

I chucked up the tube in the lathe and machined the area smooth where the big O-ring sits and then turned a thin red plastic ring to slip over this area. I then chucked up the crown and thinned it by about 50% so now when the crown is fully screwed down you see the portion of the tube with the red spacer. This red is not dark enough so the search will continue for a better material to make this red spacer from. The build is topped off with an Oyster bracelet with a Tudor signed Flip-Lock style clasp. I have not seen any pictures of what the clasp on the gen looks like so I don't know if this is even close.

Here's some pics of the outcome of this experiment:

Her%20Blk%20Bay%201.jpg

Her%20Blk%20Bay%202.jpg

Her%20Blk%20Bay%203.jpg

Her%20Blk%20Bay%204.jpg

Her%20Blk%20Bay%205.jpg

Thanks for looking...

• 11 months later...