When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something seems off (eBay Case)

omgiv

The insert is trash, the LEC on the crystal can be seen easily, and the bezel just looks wrong. The case engravings look stamped like gen, but also look sloppy like you said?? There are also no end link "rub" marks on the case engravings like most all rollies I've seen. It could be an NOS replacement case with aftermarket bezel, bezel insert, rep crystal??

Overall I'm confused? I know I wouldn't buy it because of the inconsistencies I mentioned but I also wouldn't say it's gen or rep because I can't tell?

I see nothing fake about this case to be honest. Insert has a flat 4 so is older than 2006 I would say. I have a gen insert that has a pearl that looks as rough as that too!

Case is correct as is crystal, crystal retainer etc!

You will also notice the slightly higher than centre crown tube position which is also correct and not seen on any rep case that I know of.

Just my opinion of course!

I don't doubt your opinion at all Watcher, but there are just some things that I can't wrap my head around. The watch looks like a mixed bag of parts to me. The font of the insert looks okay to me but the pearl looks like a WM pearl. It looks as if the insert is not seated into the bezel though in the side shot showing the tube. I also don't like that you can see the LEC in the picture without any magnification (as Duke said). The case back does look good except that it has 16610 engraved instead of 2160. I would expect a Z serial sub to have the newer style case back. I have seen the 16610 case back on older subs with lug holes. Which brings me to my next gripe. I would expect a Z serial sub to be engraved 16610T instead of 16610. Rolex changed that designation when they went from a lug hole case to no lug holes.

I have an etaswiss case that has a high crown tube like a genuine case.

IMG_0148.jpg

The crown tube is only a problem on TW and Noob cases, the ETASwiss case is correct. The ETA Swiss case also has the incorrect 16610 engraving so I'm guessing that is what this is, with an older gen caseback. ETASwiss casebacks are notorious for incorrect engraving too though so perhaps the Z-serial had "16610" inside. That LEC looks just like my ETASwiss crystal too. As does the insert...

Everythings looks gen to me, even if mixed from different sources. Caseback sticker is definitely an old style one, as well as the insert. Etaswiss has longer lugs and If I remember right it's marked M, I doubt it was re-engraved but everything might be.. I agree that it should have the T but if they re-engraved it, why not adding a T?

guys guys he assured me that his CAMERA is distorting the details and that I should buy with confidence...here I was thinking this case was fake when his camera simply was just distorting those minor details!!! :bangin: wheres the camera that does the opposite and make my watches look more gen like :)

Just got this from the seller:

"16610T is a 40th anniversari submariner with green vezel the insert i had recheck and is ok the best test on an inset is the material

that is made no insert replasement has an strong aluminum they bent easiky this one is hard and the font is ok too and dont worry any body

that buy it has its time to check it and if something its wrong they can send it back i say no return but garanteed autentic

- josecanaan"

Over $1000 with three days left. I would just continue saving my money for a gen complete watch at that point. Unless someone gave me all the other parts to make it completely gen. Even then, I still don't think I could pull the trigger at that price.

Just got this from the seller:

"16610T is a 40th anniversari submariner with green vezel the insert i had recheck and is ok the best test on an inset is the material

that is made no insert replasement has an strong aluminum they bent easiky this one is hard and the font is ok too and dont worry any body

that buy it has its time to check it and if something its wrong they can send it back i say no return but garanteed autentic

- josecanaan"

Hahahah. I won't feel sorry for the buyer. Let the trf boys who look down on ALL of us rep enthusiasts help them.

Z series "would" be 16610 T....Rolex wouldn't forget to engrave that.

To me the engraving looks like a skillful DIY job. The 8's don't look correct nor is the word "stainless".done the same size.

With what people are capable of doing to aftermarket/sterile cases these day I wouldn't touch it.

It doesn't look gen to me.