When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chapter 2 - Replacement Insert For Rolex GMT Master 6542 Perspex/Bakelite

JoeyB

The 1st run made with acrylic is sold out, so it's on to the next batch, this time made using Lexan. Lexan is used for outdoor sign making, and the bullet-proof glass on fighter jets. The Lexan has a better 'feel', is a bit more dense, and substantially harder to work on! Shaping, sanding and finishing takes more elbow grease! The difference in look compared to the acrylic is subtle, but noticeable when side by side. The Lexan looks more expensive, a tad less shiny but more polished.

These are made using Lexan, engraved, lumed and polished. Individually made, hand finished by me! Made in the U.S.A.

Outside diameter is approximately 37.5mm, inside diameter approximately 30mm, and approximately 1.3mm thick.

I will be listing them on Ebay in the next few days or so at $250 usd, buy it now.

For members of this site, RWG.cc only I will discount to $225.00 usd.

For paying VIP and Platinum members here (not reciprocating to admin or mods from other sites) the price will be $200.00 usd.
So, if you're not a VIP here, become one and get a discount that saves you money on both!

All plus shipping, please PM me if interested.

Please bear with me and my miserable picture taking skills. I'm getting better. Please note the correct font, and the 'grainy' look to the numbers. They are lumed and do glow for a bit (not super lumed) but I can't get that pic to save my life. Being translucent, the red and blue do get lighter and darker depending on the light you are in. I found that fascinating, as the blue will range from Navy to almost a Royal, and the Red from blood red to a hint of orange in varying light. A member recently bought one and specifically wanted it Navy /Blood Red. I explained how the light does change the look. After receiving it he wrote back "The colour tones and lume colour are perfect. Absolutely perfect."

post-16926-0-47368400-1369972342_thumb.j

post-16926-0-86758600-1370032898_thumb.jpost-16926-0-39166600-1370032932_thumb.jpost-16926-0-69586000-1370032949_thumb.j

post-16926-0-14669400-1370204116_thumb.jpost-16926-0-96629000-1370204143_thumb.j

post-16926-0-07576700-1396023424_thumb.j

Nice work Joey! Luv those flat top 4s!

They are flat top in and out, too. The '2' and '8' along with the '4' were key fonts to get right, along with the dots being in the correct position. The 'grainy' look and 3D effect really came out well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is sieta's 2nd insert. Shipping to Singapore from the U.S. in about a week!

Hi Dennis,

I received it last week and it's perfect. The thickness consistency is better. I am using a rolex T16 plexi for this so I had to shave the inner diameter a bit.

Some pics, feel free to use for your marketing purposes. While waiting for the insert, I had spinmaster bevel the bezel assembly a bit.

1b90ad53.jpg

346b8505.jpg

e3256ddf.jpg

eac8a324.jpg

d16b870d.jpg

Thanks for making this part. Its a great offering to the community.

Have a great weekend buddy.

Cheers

Johari

• 7 months later...
Where can I get the case, dial, etc. for this 6542 build? Thanks!

That will depend on how much you wish to spend. There are quite a few builds on site now available through the search button. Everything from all genuine to bargain basement. The one from the cartel is not very good even as a base, IMO.  

We have a good supplier in Rafflestime that has the small arrow hands now and 6mm brevet crown. He has cases that can be used, with some work. 

But they all will need some work to get it right. Even the high end cases from Vietnam need a little tweaking. 

JoeyB,

Can these inserts be retrofitted to work on a gen bezel for a 16750? Saw a mod on TRF where a user did this with a 1675 and I want to do the same to my gen 16750.

Thanks

Gav

All the inserts for the acrylic crystal models are the same inside and outside dimensions. The sapphire crystal has a larger inside diameter, though same outside.  

All the inserts for the acrylic crystal models are the same inside and outside dimensions. The sapphire crystal has a larger inside diameter, though same outside.  

Good to know. Didn't know the 6542, 1675 and 16750 could all use the same inserts. Is the $150 pricing still valid for VIP members? Just noticed mine is expired but I can't upgrade the darn thing again.......

• 2 months later...