When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 comparisons.........MBW to Gen

Justasgood

Apart from the 1570 is it realy better than a modded MBW? what were the cost involved?

The 1680 with faded bezel is all original and in "as found" condition. Only serviced once, it is a 5.3 serial.

No evidence of ever having a polish. The 9315 bracelet was torn up and really only scrap. I pieced some rep parts to put it back together but it is non functioning.

Selling the head for $3500.00.

Yuki case,NDT dial, 1570 and the usual gen add-ons

Great 1680's guys ....

Cheers

P.

I got a case some days ago from Yuki, I guess from his new source. It is the worsest case I've ever seen in my rep time! Everything is wrong, like lug shape (there is missing a lot of material!), lughole position (some higher some lower), rehaut too shallow, crownguards way too thick - and the two biggest things are, the tube is not centred between the CG's and there are between the lugs only 19,2 mm!? That means you can not put a endlink between the lugs without shaving it down, or the lugs (that's what I did)!

So if you don't have the tools and skills to correct these things, stay better away from Yuki!!!

BTW, there was never a 1680 case from MBK! Thery are all 5513 engraved, also the rehaut and inner case dimensions are made to fit a 5513 dial. I tried often to put a gen 1680 dial in these cases, but the dial diameter is too big. Only a correction on a lathe will make it 1680 like. On my next project I will use a MBK 1680 case, which will be machined to take a gen 1570. After that it goes straight to Phong, he should regrave the case to 1680. I think this will be the best looking 1680...

Also don't underrate the cartel subs! They are also very good. Only the short CG's sucks...

The 1680 with faded bezel is all original and in "as found" condition. Only serviced once, it is a 5.3 serial.

No evidence of ever having a polish. The 9315 bracelet was torn up and really only scrap. I pieced some rep parts to put it back together but it is non functioning.

I sent you a PM this afternoon with serious intent.

Kurt my comment was ref the build that polex Pete has not the gen you are showing

I got a case some days ago from Yuki, I guess from his new source. It is the worsest case I've ever seen in my rep time! Everything is wrong, like lug shape (there is missing a lot of material!), lughole position (some higher some lower), rehaut too shallow, crownguards way too thick - and the two biggest things are, the tube is not centred between the CG's and there are between the lugs only 19,2 mm!? That means you can not put a endlink between the lugs without shaving it down, or the lugs (that's what I did)!

So if you don't have the tools and skills to correct these things, stay better away from Yuki!!!

BTW, there was never a 1680 case from MBK! Thery are all 5513 engraved, also the rehaut and inner case dimensions are made to fit a 5513 dial. I tried often to put a gen 1680 dial in these cases, but the dial diameter is too big. Only a correction on a lathe will make it 1680 like. On my next project I will use a MBK 1680 case, which will be machined to take a gen 1570. After that it goes straight to Phong, he should regrave the case to 1680. I think this will be the best looking 1680...

Also don't underrate the cartel subs! They are also very good. Only the short CG's sucks...

thanks for the info ! :fool:

wanted to order a case for my 5513 :(

Wow thats bad news. I brought my case 12 months ago and only problem was the bezel wouldn't fit the gen insert. You could glue it in but i used a MBW the insert snaps in like a gen. Otherwise very happy with it.

Apart from the 1570 is it realy better than a modded MBW? what were the cost involved?

Andy, as Omega says above there really is no MBW 1680 case so no comparison. 500 bucks for a Yuki case is steep, especially if they are now crap.

Cheers

P.

My MBK 1680 HAS 1680 nicely engraved between the lugs :)

I am waiting for the relumed dial from The Zigmeister to build it ;)

It is from Narika nov 2011 ;)

.Andy, as Omega says above there really is no MBW 1680 case so no comparison. 500 bucks for a Yuki case is steep, especially if they are now crap.

Cheers

P.

My MBK 1680 HAS 1680 nicely engraved between the lugs :)

Pete i think you need to recheck your info as the one i built and the one that Klocklind is building are MBWMBK 1680 engraved and if you see my comparison post they are pretty good with a few small mods

Pete i think you need to recheck your info as the one i built and the one that Klocklind is building are MBWMBK 1680 engraved and if you see my comparison post they are pretty good with a few small mods

Ah gotcha ...haven't ever brought any of the newer MBW's so haven't had a close look. If they're as good as they used to be but with correct rehaut size and engravings that's really good news ...

Cheers

P.

Small storefront dealer in Big market in Thailand (MBK)

Many threads on folks who have visited....

Maria was someone who would buy from the store and resell on the boards (MBW)

He left the seen long time back

Reg (Narikka) started sourcing them on his trips to buy inventory

So, MBW or MBK refers to watches from a certain factory assembled by a small market stand in Thailand's main market

"Ah gotcha ...haven't ever brought any of the newer MBW's so haven't had a close look. If they're as good as they used to be but with correct rehaut size and engravings that's really good news ..."

I have one of the 'new' MBW/MBK signed 1680 and internally it is closer to a 5512/13 than a 1680. It came with an etaclone 2836 and the dial was rough cut (filed?) around the outside edge to fit the case. The dial looks good and the rough cut does not show so it is Ok.

Fit and finish of the case is very good.

A 1530/70 no date is pretty close to fitting but a 1575 date is not a very good fit (in the case I have anyway).

From an earlier post (3-16-12) about this case:

I removed the movement and dial from my 'new' MBW Polex 1680 and the dial window hole is 25.5mm.

There is a shallow step machined under the dial seat cut back from the 25.5mm window opening to 26.25mm.

The dial is between 26.0mm and 26.2mm in diameter and shows signs of having been roughly ground down to fit within this 26.25mm step.

The od of the etaclone 2836-2 is 26.0mm with a 28mm brass spacer.

The od of a rolex 1520/70/75 is 28.5mm.

The id of the MBW case where the movement mounts is 28.7mm

The rolex movement drops into the MBW case just fine.

I used a 1520 with a 26mm dial and it is pretty close to fitting this particular MBW 1680 case. When you add the date works and spacer thickness of a 1575...the movement might sit too high in the case to be workable...but maybe not as I have not tried it.

It looks like this case is pretty close to accepting a 1520 and genuine spec 5513 dial. I may give it a try sooner or later.

Update:

On 4-26-12, I put the 1520 and IG44 5513 dial in a DW 5513 mid case I had along with a home made crystal retaining bezel, 'River' sapphire Exp II caseback, aft/mkt tube, genuine crown, and domed GS PA462-67 crystal. Since I had to make the inner bezel anyway, I used the domed crystal.

Also drilled the lugs,cut a gasket groove in the DW case (because the River caseback was not thick enough to accept a gasket), and smoothed the caseback center edge to resemble a vintage cb.

I should have thrown the case away but I was not going to give up on it.

btw:

I let the cat out of the bag. :animal_rooster:

The GS PA462-67 is the same $10 crystal that many people have been paying $150 for in a rolex envelope.

Here is mine. I bought it in 2009, it's and older MBW. It's been so long, I had to go back and find the old invoices and sales thread to see what was done to it. . It was pretty nicely modded when I got it, but Ii sent up north and had a movement transplant and vintage dial relume.As well as a new movement ring and movement service.

Work performed:

Case smoothed, lug holes drilled, Genuine Crown/tube, genuine "Top hat" 127 Crystal.NOS 2846 movement (serviced), genuine bracelet and 580 end links. genuine springbars.genuine insert (I believe) w/genuine tritium pearl. i toyed with the idea of replacing the movement with a 1575, but it was too expensive, and the genuine dial doesn't fit the old "polex 5513 cases, so i left it as is. It's a great watch, running very close to COSC specs. All in all, I'm sure i have over 1k in this watch, but going all the way would have resulted in probably another 2k for a movement, dial and hands. That's way to much for a watch that in genuine form is selling for 4-5 k.

IMG_6090a.jpg

Rolex1680a.jpg

That's a beauty, panerai153! Did the gen bracelet come with it or did you source it?

I bought it off VRF. It's in pretty nice shape. I got the 580 end links on VRF as well. It's amazing how the prices of all this vintage stuff has gone up in the past 3 years since I bought this stuff.

Here are a couple of Wristies from a Southern Caribbean trip.Aruba8.jpg

Aruba4.jpg