When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A couple of my vintage beauties

eunomians

I took inventory today of my watch collection. During the process, I shot quite a few pics.

Here are a couple of my dear sweet darlings (old veteran members will recall these two I am sure).

Some details...

Circa '65-'66 1675 with original small GMT hand (from the factory). Yes, it came this way from the factory. This prompted an interesting debate 15 or so years ago when folks started coming out of the woodwork with stories of Rolex finding caches of old parts in the mid-60s (and subsequently using them up despite being slightly outdated. Very 1960s Breitling-esque, I might add). Still have the original folded Jubilee bracelet as well. Mov't has been keeping chronometer time specs since it was born. Crazy accurate.

Circa '67-'68 5513 with original Twinlock crown system intact and original T-19 Superdome. I have a NOS Twinlock tube, gasket & crown waiting around for servicing in a few years. I also have a Triplock system for it. I might just install the Triplock to avoid humidity issues in the future. 1520 mov't is also superbly accurate. I've got the original faded bezel insert stashed away that I, from time to time, slap on the watch. I also wear it on its original Oyster bracelet, too. I almost sold this watch a few months ago. Somehow I managed to regain my senses right before closing the deal. What the heck was I thinking!!

What is fascinating about these movements is that they autowind to max. capacity extremely rapidly--more than any other auto-mech watch I've owned to date.

I know that there are some vintage lovers around these parts! :)

img3902p.jpg

img3906ta.jpg

• Like 3

Circa '65-'66 1675 with original small GMT hand (from the factory).

Mov't has been keeping chronometer time specs since it was born. Crazy accurate.

Yes, there is definitely something crazy accurate about these older movements. My '42 is 1 of the most accurate watches I have. Runs well within COSC parameters.

Circa '67-'68 5513 with original Twinlock crown system intact and original T-19 Superdome. I have a NOS Twinlock tube, gasket & crown waiting around for servicing in a few years. I also have a Triplock system for it. I might just install the Triplock to avoid humidity issues in the future.

Definitely, if you have a NOS Twinlock, that is the 1 to go with. Although I would never swim/bath with my Subs, I have never had any humidity issues with them. Remember, the Twinlock was intended to seal out moisture down to 660ft! So, as long as it is NOS & fitted correctly, humidity leakage (via the crown) should never be an issue.

What is fascinating about these movements is that they autowind to max. capacity extremely rapidly--more than any other auto-mech watch I've owned to date.

At least after a full overhaul, I have noticed the same thing. After a full manual wind (40 turns) months ago, the mainsprings in my GMT & Subs are near full charge every time I check them (& keep excellent time).