When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches and Travelling

ubiquitous

I tend to wear one, and keep a second in my carry on. (But when going thru security, I tend to throw the one I am wearing in the same carry on - so the x-ray person will see two).

Internationally, I would stick with the 2. Just in case you buy a 3rd on your travels.

Domestically, I think 3~4 is still safe. You can even make it thru most metal detectors with either leather strapped, or 40mm and smaller watches.

I also tend to travel with at least one GEN, that I have legitimate papers for. I will often snap a photo of the paperwork into my cell phone just in case. (Internationally)

(edit to add) If you have a nice case for them, dress sharp, and don't look like a shady person, I doubt it matters. I know many women that travel with jewelry pouches in their bag with half a dozen bracelets, necklaces, etc, and never an issue.

Acetimer has some nice travel cases: http://www.acetimer.com/Traveling-and-Storage-Case/?page=2

HTH,

1 on my wrist. Never more.

And, if the watches have Rolex inscribed across the dial, I believe the US gov't (per Rolex's request) disallows more than 1 Rolex to be brought into the US. It is probably unlikely that any airport staff will snatch your watches, but it is worth keeping in mind just in case.

I can't speak for the US but I took my full 8 watch box on domestic here in New Zealand a few weeks back.. nobody at X-ray batted an eye lid.. however they don't like a cluster of watches all bundled together I've noticed.

For my first post, I thought I would just jump into this one. Always travel with one on the wrist and one in the bag, but I tend to travel light. To be honest, before finding this forum I had never considered how many watches I should be taking with me nor did I consider possible issues travelling with a Rep watch. I'm learning quite a bit from the knowledgable members here.

I just came back with 8 watches....2 I took with me and six I bought from MBK.....I didn't have any problem, but then again, I'm enrolled in the Global Entry System (GOES).

Maybe that helped???

I can't imagine ANY issue with domestic flights. Tsa is not involved with copyrights.

Some places around the world do enforce laws about copyrights and reps, but flying in the US....what would be the issue?

The only thing I can think of would be the extra metal detected and getting a second look from Tsa. But not anything to do with reps.

Domestically (and as a U.S. citizen) I never give it a thought. Didn't I once bring a bunch to show you? ;) It is not illegal to own reps (or even buy them). But just out of convenience I carry no more than three - one on the wrist and two in a nice casein my carry on. And I never give it a thought whether they are rep or gen. Traveling abroad I have always gone with the same number. I have had the case pulled a couple of times by inspectors in foreign countries but in a nice case it has always lead to a nice discussion about watches.

I believe the safest place for your valuables is on your person. Although I suppose that's mostly true when you're a big hulking Alaskan behemoth like me. Nobody in his right mind looks twice.

Regardless, I never travel with more than one watch, and it always stays on my wrist. So I pick something waterproof and go have fun.

:snorkel:

I went to Canada from US and back a few times with the most five reps, one on my wrist and four in a pouch in my backpack. When I travel to Hong Kong, I usually bring five gen watches with one on my wrist and come back with another rep. The most I've done was seven last Jan with 7 coming back from Hong Kong, 5 gen, 1 Hublot rep bought in Shenzhen in my jacket's pocket and a hundred dollar ODM watch I bought there which I declared.

i doubt the TSA is concerned about how many watches you're carrying as much as they are about the amount of fluids in your toiletry pouch

in my personal experience i routinely carry 4-6 reps in my media backpack with my notebook, camera, device chargers, etc

and no one cares a tiny bit

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this- I went to SoCal a week or so back, travelling with 4 watches in a travel case and one watch on my wrist.

Flying out to my destination was no problem. Coming home however, TSA did stop me in the security check and asked to inspect the contents of the travel case. They saw that it contained 4 watches, but still insisted on running it through the x-ray conveyor belt twice. After a small group of TSA folks stood around discussing something, they brought my watches back and let me on my way.

Not a huge deal in the end; minor inconvenience, but I can't help but feel that maybe I jynxed myself a little by posting this thread before leaving on our trip?

• Like 1