When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Have You Done So Far In Life?

Everythingape

Well, I got into a quite interesting discussion with my mates, talking about all the different kind of employment we've had so far.

In some cases you would really see a pattern from what kind of work he'd done, fitting his personality well.. They all agreed my jobs didn't fit me at all. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. :)

SO.. I thought it would be fun to ask all my fellow RWG'ers to list their jobs/job and see what kind of weird things you all have done and are doing to make those moneys!

Feel free to start with your first earned nickle in a real job, go on to and tell us how you got all the way to the millions you now earn.. ...if you can remember. I know we have some senior members on the board. ;)

I'll hit this off:

First real job:

Delivering groceries to a store.

I had to drive them in a big hand cart because the island I grew up on didn't have any cars, and I was 11.

Hard work for a kid!

Other jobs that I've had for a while:

Lighthouse keeper

Dockworker, unloading frozen fish

Putting up foundations and mounting shore-signs

Fisherman on small fishing vessels, mostly purse seiners

Engineer's School for 4 years

Engineer's trainee on a cruise ferry and a cargo ship.

Engine mechanic in a shipyard

Bouncer in a bar in town(and a pub in greece for one week, we were paid in drinks)

Engineer on a cruise catamaran in the deep norwegian fjords, and on an oil rig support vessel.

Current job:

Engineer on a large purse seiner/trawler, fishing the North Sea, Skagerak, Barents Sea, Norwegian Sea and the North Atlantic west of Ireland mostly.

Those are the ones I can remember right now, I might add a few later. Looking back I can't really say I have done anything exciting, but I've had jobs where I can move around and do what I like.

Your turn!

My first job was as an Electronic Engineer, repairing and calibrating AVO Multimeters. Then I did loads of crappy jobs including bar work, kitchen work, etc., including assistant coach in Women's Self Defence for a very brief period. After this, I worked as a "Mail Order Troll" (real job title) and had some freelance illustration jobs on the side. Then, I did some database design, accounting and typesetting/graphic design. This then led to a job I kept for about 8 years as a writer/graphic designer/sysadmin for a role-playing games company (pen and paper, not computer games) that was then bought by a huge American company (famous for a card game) that kept me on in the same role but added tournament judge and convention rep to my roster. After this, I moved into systems management/administration (IT stuff) full time and have pretty much kept that up for eight years.

Looks like it's about time for another abrupt career change to me.

Mrs Pugwash's brother does rock star for a living. He went to rock star college and everything.

Who is he then?

Jonthebhoy, at least you stuck to one thing! I am sure you are good at what you do.

Stuck is the word. Can't say I love it anymore but the pension benefits are too good to walk away from it.

Mail-delivery of advertising @15 years old

Newspaper delivery boy ( Sunday paper) @17-18

Airforce Aircraft technician on F-16 and P-3 Orion. Four years.

Engineer (MSc), Petroleum Technology.. desk job, system design and project coordinator.

From July 2006, Offshore Petroleum Engineer.

When I have finished Timezones Watch school, I will finally have some formal education in this field! :D

Engineer (MSc), Petroleum Technology.. desk job, system design and project coordinator.

From July 2006, Offshore Petroleum Engineer.

I'm thinking about a transfer over to the oil industry.. Just to try something new.

I want to take an ROV-pilot's course, and try my luck there, maybe start a little ROV-service of my own.. There is enough demand for it around here.. But that first leap is a bit scary.

The pay is great on the fishing vessels, but that might change the next few years.

Building a house I need a few years of steady income!

Selling magazines door to door as a teenager in Chicago; working as a dishwasher in a Chicago hospital; working as a librarian's aid in college; working as a guitar repairman during the folk music boom - still in Chicago - working as a switchman for the Burlington Railroad in the Cicero Yards in the suburbs of Chicago; working as a messboy on a bad-luck Danish tramp freighter just to get to Europe (via North Africa and Brazil); working in the engine-room of an American mixed passenger-frieght ship to get back to the States; working as an editorial assistant in NYC; working as a roadie for the John Hammond Blues Band; working for a friend's macrobiotic food company in NYC; working as an editor and editor-in-chief for a music magazine in NYC; working as the artist-media relations person for Frank Zappa in Los Angeles; long vacation in various parts of the world; English teacher for a call-girl ring in Paris, eventually working my way up (down?) to a stable position at the University - where I entertain my students with stories about the wacky world of replica watches (and show them my pieces) screen great films of my choosing and generally do my best to totally short-circuit the dreadful French academic system.

Plus a lot of other [censored] that better remains unsaid....

Avidly looking forward to a well-merited retirement in Bali (ka-boom!).

That's fantastic ryyannon!

I knew about your escapades on the high seas, but all that other stuff! You could die today (god forbid) and people could say "don't be sad, he's seen more and experienced more than most of us could ever hope for.." Let's hope that's said after 20 years in Bali though ;)

Now where are the call girls that want to learn some norwegian?

ryyannon, I know we are about the same age, sounds like you've had a wonderful life and it ain't over. My turn:

Mortuary / Cemetery handyman - 1st real job at 15

Main profession - Professional musician starting at 18 in 1965 (a great year) all the way through age 45, this ruined my college grades but still graduated, parents were disappointed I never used degree, until I started making more money than I ever could with that particular degree.

Gigilo at 20 (only lasted 6 months but loved the attention and never got a woman to pay my way after that!)

Air Force autopilot tech during Vietnam War (Reserves)

Professional dancer / singer in Los Angeles in the mid-70's after 1st divorce

Waiter

Bartender

Controller for small Silicon Valley OEM for Digital Computers before Apple Computers came on the scene

Restauranteur - out of business after a year (There are much better ways to lose money)

Commercial Real Estate Agent after 2nd divorce and 3rd marriage that stuck

Limousine Company Manager

IT Manager

Commercial Property Manager

Mortgage Brokerage Owner

Real Estate Brokerage Owner

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Fulltime Husband, Dad and Grandpa

About to semi-retire in a year (Would go nuts if I fully retired)

Will stay put on my tropical isle :victory:

And I agree with ryyanon, a lot more colorful [censored] as a hippie dippy musician better left unsaid......

Your not going to believe most of this, but its all true

Drummer - Band - "the mad anarchists"

movie theater usher

Drummer - Band - Norvac's Enworb

Drummer - Band - Broke [censored] Dog

Puppiteer at Universal Studios

Camp Counselor United States Space Camp

elected official, president of the student body of a major university

clerk to Legal Aid (poor people)

clerk to state attorney general

clerk to district court judges

bankruptcy attorney

Guitar/ Drums Band - PHO

Web Designer

Senior lobbyist

medical disaster

campaign consultant

vice president of regulatory compliance for an international investment enterprise

radio show personality

husband

father

special consultant to Cantor Fitzgerald LLC

Owner and Proprietor for Buy my Damn Dragon Pens Inc. :)

and i'm only 32 yrs old and poor

now i'm look for a nice quiet job that pays the bills. Thought i had one - and got screwed out of it.

Which reminds me of the old Chic Murray joke (in a broad Scots dialect).............

"I was wandering about the Olympic Village as you do and I saw this chap with a long thin stick.

I said "Excuse me, are you a pole vaulter?"

He replied, with a quizical look on his face, "Nein I am German, but how did you know my name vas Valter".

JTB