When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What does a gen 6263 cost?

sneed12

Just out of curiosity, what would this have cost if it was a gen (and had no historical significance/value or anything)?

a9470614.jpg

I try not to wear watches to work that would cost more as gens than I could plausibly afford, that's why I'm asking.

It's a Spinmaster built on a DW 7750 if anyone was curious. Bracelet is an aftermarket rivet with rep (rolex-stamped) endlinks and rep clasp.

You could have bought it years ago when the prices were more reasonable, depending on your age, and are now wearing it to prove just how savy you were back then... Or, you could have received it from someone like your dad or something like that. Just saying,, you didn't necessarily buy it 3 days ago at today's market value.

Or you could have bought it in the 70's instead of that dj ;)

I only wish I had. Still [censored] about that.

And for you younger guys, just tell them your dad gave it to you. I gave a nice old Sea Dweller that I put together to my favorite nephew who's a fireman and he had several offers to buy it from him from some of the older guys at the firehouse. They were all in awe of his new (old) watch. Thankfully, he didn't try to sell it.

I work in a professional services firm, no one is going to bat an eye and/or notice if I go through a different Submariner every day. I have no qualms about wearing my Subs, GMT II, Omega, PAMs etc in rotation. They're a dime a dozen at my firm.

But if I were to wear a $15k+ watch, that might attract notice. If I were to slip up and wear three different ones three days in a row (HBB, AP Diver, 6263--it's easy to do!) people might start asking.

Would it hurt my career if I was known as that guy who owns a bunch of expensive watches? Or that guy that owns a bunch of fake watches? Probably not, but on some things it's better to just fly under the radar. I'd rather be known for the quality of my work than what watches I wear.

I guess it really depends on the people you hang around with. Ordinarily, I wouldn't think twice about wearing reps of supposedly $25,000 Daytonas. I like the way they look, and most people have no idea that they're anything special.

That changes when, to use your analogy, you become a blip on other people's radars and they become interested in what watch so-and-so is wearing today. Yes, self-confidence is key to convincing people that a watch is real. But what if you end up convincing the people around you have a wristwatch budget that's worth hundreds of thousands of dollars?

I suddenly feel very paranoid, and will be heading straight for the "Where do you hide your watches?" thread for advice!

Or you can be honest and tell people your hobby is building replicas of expensive watches. That's what I do, and people are usually fascinated that it's even possible.

I once saw a documentary of how Ralph Lauren won some exotic automobile concourse show with a 'restored' classic Ferrari. Well it wasn't restored using gen parts. Most parts had to be fabricated. It was a 'franken ' Ferrari at best. Still it won best in show.

P.S. My Spinmaster 6263. Saved $25,000 on it:

ad041b88.jpg

Edited by mir36