When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 He Valve, home made

FxrAndy

In My Rail dial build about a month ago, i took a short cut, I made something that looked like a separate HE valve in the case but it was just a glued in plug in a shallow drilling, nothing but a fake, not even a replica of what it should be, Faux

I realy wanted to fit a Helium valve but i did not have one, i know there is no need for one, it will never be called to work, it is an extra hole in the case that is not needed be me ever, alot of work to dril out the case and lets face it they are not cheep to buy, $100 from yuki or somthing like that, that is a lot of cash for something that will never be asked to work and that i dont need.

But there is a big difference between need and want!!!!!!!!!!

So what do you do when you want something but dont want to pay for it and you cant steal it (well you could but it would not be worth flying to where ever yuki is)

You make it!

So yesterday i set about making one on the lathe, If any one else does this the mesurements on the yuki ones are wrong, it states 5mm

1665hevalveyuki.jpg

I would say that this is about 0.4 mm to long and if any one noticed my post last night, Ziggy picked up on that straight away, even with only a spring bar for reference!

So here is the rough shape

fx1665he11.jpg

And a bit more fine work

fx1665he12.jpg

Then i forgot to take any more photos untill it was finished

fx1665he14.jpg

Then was the drilling the case stage and making the spring (the gen one looks like brass but i have been infrmed it is bronse as brass is not springy enough, i used part of a unitas main spring, great funn trying to drill a 1mm hole in hardened spring steel and then cut a 0.6mm wide slot in it.

On the drilling my short cut made this a bit hard as i hade removed too much metal before for the plug so i had to back fill with metal epoxy and re drill.

I forgot again to make any photos untill i made this film of the WR test to 5 ATM after a couple of failed tests and some fine tuning of the valve seat it was Water resistant. Success!

And a wristy or three

DSCF3321.jpg

DSCF3320.jpg

DSCF3319.jpg

So i can see a bit of difference from before

16652.jpg

And a Gen

valvefitted2.jpg

Was it worth the work, well yes bacause i know it is like the gen and it works, is it worth it just for looks well yes it looks better, and also it was worth it for the learning experience.

Andy,

That looks great. I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run.However, I bet there were times in the building process that you didn't think it was much fun at all. Any plans for going into production on these? I don't need one, but a lot of folks building a franken 1665 would love to have one, especially if they were a little cheaper than Yuki's.

I had to mod one of my collets to take the 1.65mm bar u was working with just to get that far. Turning the valve was not the big problem but making the spring. Also getting orings that small is not easy I had one in my spares pack. If any one knows of a supply of the orings I will be great full