When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

date wheel overlay glue?

yeldarb

Hi everyone I just fixed my ETA 2836-2 as I messed up the key less works. Anyways as you may know with a date wheel overlay it's nearly impossible to get the date wheel off so I had to peel away the date wheel overlay. Anyways I want to put the overlay back onto the date wheel and was wondering if there's a recommended glue for this?

Thanks

Brad

5 min epoxy for me, good luck its a challege

same for me, Araldite Rapide, red tube epoxy,

it lets the time to ajust. Not necessary to put a big amount.

a tip :

don't ajust with a day set via the date setting position. Use the time setting position, pass a day but don't stay at midnight sharp, turn again the crown, pass a few hours.

Use the stem line as ajustment reference

Edited by Rolexaddict

5 min epoxy. Use only a very very small dab in about 6 places. Be sure to put the small dabs towards the outside of the original calender wheel. If you put it to close to the inside of the calender wheel, it could run down to the inside causing big problems. I use a small flat screw driver to apply the epoxy to the calender wheel. It leaves a hershey kisses type dab, which is perfect when you put the overlay on. Be sure and only turn the ovelay counter clockwise to align it, if you turn it clockwise it can change the position of the calender wheel and make your overlay off just enough to piss you off. LOL good luck Next time you you need to remove a calender wheel with an overlay, simply slide a single edge razor blade under the calender wheel where the positioning spring is, rotate the calender wheel slightly clockwise, push the spring in very gently and it should pop up and off. When its off you will see the spring and the 2 slots the teeth come through, reverse the procedure to reinstall.

Next time you you need to remove a calender wheel with an overlay, simply slide a single edge razor blade under the calender wheel where the positioning spring is, rotate the calender wheel slightly clockwise, push the spring in very gently and it should pop up and off. When its off you will see the spring and the 2 slots the teeth come through, reverse the procedure to reinstall.

+1 It is not necessary to remove the date wheel overlay, as some have said, to take the date wheel off. I have an old business card that was printed on some type of celuloid, that is very thin that I use to press the jumper spring. While you have the date wheel removed, note the location of the jumper spring and mark the edge of the bridge with a scratch.

Edited by preacher62

Personally, I use a white glue called "Tacky Glue". It has just the right amount of stick, yet work time that I can maneuver and fine tune the placement of the overlay before it sets

is the same kind of glue here is a challenge to get the DWO aligned before the glue dries. no epoxy for me it sucks