When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Tudor Mod by Justasgood - highest recommendation

Nanuq

Most of you don't know it, but JAG was approved here as a modder awhile back. He's kept it pretty quiet, and I think it's time to let you guys know what kind of work he does.

My Snowflake fell ill and I was about to send it off to Ziggy as usual, but then I thought I'd let JAG prove his skills. So I asked if he was interested in a repair/mod and he was... so of it went in the mail.

We had a pleasant back-and-forth conversation as he tore into it, and it arrived back in the mail today. And all I can say is I'm COMPLETELY FLOORED by the work he did. Before, it was a very nice Snowflake. Now, he's taken it to a whole new level. I hate that phrase and I never use it, but it fits in this instance. This piece wears, looks and feels exactly like a vintage, well-worn, well-maintained piece would after 40 years of use.

Justasgood reshaped the case, rebuilt the movement (and sent me traces showing it running at +0 per day!) recentered, affixed, straightened..... all the tiny details that bug you, but you learn to live with... he did it all. His workmanship is absolutely impeccable. I mean, there is NOTHING that I'd want touched up a bit more, or tweaked a tiny bit.... this thing looks like I spent a month making it as absolutely perfect as I could. That's the kind of work he does.

So gents, it's time to flood his inbox with repair and mod requests. He deserves the recognition for great workmanship, and he will do great work on your watch.

Now, the photos. These are from my mtn bike ride today, bears everywhere, and now home with a tall icy one to rest and reflect.

On the north fork of Campbell Creek, where the bears cross looking for salmon

toa1.jpg

BIG fricken bear track, photo taken moments after he went by

toa2.jpg

Vintage slate grey/blue insert, 702 crown, the works

sf1.jpg

Lovely dome, insert is correctly set, endlinks fit right, everything's perfect.

sf2.jpg

Look at that case profile. :wub:

sf3.jpg

He asked if I wanted the crystal polished, I said "are you kidding?" I like the gouges.

sf4.jpg

The ultimate Snowflake, in my humble opinion. Made possible by Justasgood

sf6.jpg

Thanks K!! :tu:

Yeah the woods were full of 'em today! As soon as I ducked off the main trail into the deep woods, it stunk of bears and there were tracks and scat everywhere. The tracks of the big Brownie were so fresh that the mud ridges between the toes were still falling over. Yep the hairs on the neck were up today. :tu:

Oh and BTW, a Nanuq photoshoot just wouldn't be a Nanuq photoshoot without a picture of the watch in mud. So, bravo for that!

How about another? Here's a track almost 12" wide, check how far the claw holes are from the toes! BIG fricken brown bear (you can tell from the almost straight line across the base of the toes)

toa3.jpg

It looks very nice, but even so, "another level" still isn't you... ;-)

Gotta agree, mate. Here's what that's shorthand for:

I was in a Rolex AD in Honolulu looking at a delectable 5513, and I was knocked out by the subtle convex shape to the sides of the case. It was subtle, likely from years of service and polishing.

I compared it to my case and my sides were flat on the 9:00 side and slightly concave on the crown side. I don't mean the sweep where the sides flare out to the CGs, I mean the flat sides above and below the CGs were ever so slightly concave. Again it was subtle but if you held it so reflections played across the profile you could see it. Otherwise the case is an absolute dead ringer for a gen. In fact I have no evidence to tell me it's NOT gen. I simply don't know, neither does the gent I got it from.

So those subtly concave sides have bugged me all along, although I'm completely satisfied with everything else about the build. The movement took a dump and Justasgood said he'd be happy to fix it, and tweak a couple other small things... and I asked if he thought it was possible to replicate that "polished for 40 years look". He did, and the result is the crowning detail.

You know how your eye picks out things that don't even register consciously, but they bug you in the back of your mind? Tickling away at your subconscious? That's what I had here. It bugged me in a way I couldn't put to words. His subtle reshaping of the case sides was the trick. Now, my eyes and my subconscious just click together... it's correct somehow where it wasn't before. He literally took it to a new level.... he made it subconsciously acceptable, not just acceptable to the trained eye.

This thing is as perfect to the critical examination and to the casual glance, as my gen 1665 case. The 1665 literally has been serviced and polished for 41 years, and this "Snow Prince" now looks, wears and feels the same. It just clicks now. And I can't put into words what clicks, it's just there now and it wasn't before.

That is an artistic hand. Again, thanks Justasgood.

I know what you mean, I was blown away when I first saw the pic of the side of the watch. Looks exactly as you said, years of wear and polish, its amazing. I plan on sending him mine as soon as I get it. I want that same treatment to the case. Now it looks ok, but I have a feeling it will be amazing as well when he's done with it. Thanks again for the heads up.

post-38788-0-47645800-1344873468_thumb.j