When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

USPS Becoming unreliable?

grew

I have had now 5 priority packages shipped out that have taken about 7 days to reach people. I have had 2 shipped to me that have taken the same amount of time. I have a watch coming in from Australia that reached the US on the 9th and still hasn't been released. Granted my sample size of 8 is small but i'm starting to think I'll be shipping FedEx from now on.

Anyone else been having these problems?

Similar issues here. Started about a year ago with all the cut-backs.

Had a package stuck in NY from August until LAST Week.

Had a $$$$ watch (US Transaction) take 3 weeks (Priority), was quasi-lost, until I started making waves.

Had a Daytona (rep) stolen out of a Priority Small Box.

However, EVERYTHING from China seems to get to me fine. Go figure....

It's only gonna get worse fellas..... I just retired (I say that because I went back to my old profession before the crap hit the fan) from the USPS after almost 8 years of working as a city carrier, sorting and distribution manager, and maintenance. The hatchet is gonna fall really soon and the good ole USPS ain't going to worth a $hit I'm afriad. The politicians are running the post office and they want to privitize it like UPS/Fed Ex so they can make loads of money.

It used to be customers came first and nothing was more important than getting all the mail delivered as quick as possible. Now it's all about part time workers, no guaranteed hours, usually working 16 to 25 hrs a week. They wonder why they can't keep employees?? The average length of employment for the USPS new hires is less than year right now when it used to be employees stayed on till they retired. They are in the process of pulling employees out of the federal retirement system, the federal thrift savings plan, dropping federal healthcare for a new postal health insurance plan. Adding a crappy 401k retirement plan and no new employee will ever be guaranteed 40 hrs a week.

• Like 1

Yes, it's definitely getting slower and the tracking is now the pits... A registered package from WE tracked to some sorting center in NY then nothing until it was delivered about a week later...

I must say my experience has been very good .....I print all labels and it is almost always on time. Only issue I have had is my local carrier is lazy and sometimes sticks a "we missed you" sticker in our community box without coming to our door

• Like 1

Similar experiences. They have no control over their timing. Half the time the cheaper service is faster than the more expensive one. Most things get where they are supposed to go but tracking is worthless and as far as I am concerned USPS has become the Western Union of package delivery - too expensive and only people who have no alternative will use them. It has gotten that bad where I live.(i.e. the largest U.S. metropolitan City). Long live Fed Ex and UP.

Idk, it must be the heavy cuts they are taking, but I usually have a great experience with USPS. The carriers in our town are genuinely happy, and will drop the packages off to my door and before I even wake up. I for the most part enjoy using USPS. If it fits it ships, etc. I agree though, corporatism is starting to invade USPS. The private sector is so iffy half the time, it's always for the good of the company before it is the good of the customers. Hence the government privatizing jails, etc. When you sacrifice customer service for efficiency, that's when you're going to notice some drastic changes. So far I haven't seen those changes though.

I went a little off topic, but tl;dr USPS isn't any different for me it seems

The Post office has always been somewhat frustrating for me, as I live out in the country, My mailbox is half a mile from my house and the carriers refused to bring a package to my door. Even wih Express mail, thye would leave a notice in my box and I could pick up the package the next day, as the mail always comes too late to get the package on the same day. On the other hand, FedEx and UPS drivers deliver right to my door. Another thing, postal rates have gone up by at least 3x in the past few years. Mailing a package to Europe that used to cost around 30-40 dollars depending on weight is now over 100 dollars.

The morale of most postal workers is terrible. I know quite a few of the folks at our local PO, and they constantly complain about fewer people, more work, and bosses that are constantly demanding more output. The old PO from years ago is long gone. As someone else said, the PO is now being staffed by part time workers, much like Walmart. With the USPS billions in debt, no one knows what the future holds. I prefer FedEx or UPS, but using them for International shipments poses lots of problems, especially using them to ship rep watches to other countries.

"The private sector is so iffy half the time, it's always for the good of the company before it is the good of the customers."

"I prefer FedEx or UPS..."

Private sector = FedEx and UPS = get 'er done and make a profit.

Government agency = USPS = waste and inefficiency.

Email, FedEx and UPS have basically killed the USPS, leaving them with first class mail, registered/certified mail, junk mail, a few packages...and the postal worker's union. :ph34r:

Their $$ shortfall was caused this time around by not having enough money to pay for their retirememt/healthcare agreement to meet future obligations, some so far into the future that the workers to be covered have not even been hired yet.

I do not now and never have worked for any Guvement agency. I did work for two first class transportation companies that did an efficient job while making a lot of $$, both in business over 100 years. :pimp:

My latest interaction with UPS was a disaster. Package shipping from abroad disappears off the grid and then shows up as an attempted delivery. I go to the post office where it is theoretically awaiting my pick-up. I get there and am informed that their internet and phones are down. They have no ability to check on the package. Ifact they can't even process a credit card so all transactions have to be in cash. I ask them to check in the back as I have a delivery notice. And 20 minutes later what I hear from them is there are so many packages in the back they don't know where to look. It took them 4 days to get back on line and then my package mysteriously is delivered. And worst of all we are not talking $300 rep.....it was a multi-thousand gen. I won't use them anytime soon.