When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Twice in one night!

danhobson17

Saturday night was our anual Christmas bash, mainly old school friends and their partners etc. I was sat next to my best mates brother who ive know for many years but only see a couple of times per year. About half way through the meal he says 'WOW i just noticed that (pointing to my BK DSSD) do you mind if i take a look?' I handed the watch to him while he made coments like 'such a beautiful watch' and 'you can really tell why they cost so much, the quality is amazing'. Finally he came out with 'do you mind if i ask how much you paid for it?' now ive always said that if a friend of mine asks 'THE' question then ill tell the truth, so i did. Amazing how much his appreciation for the watch changed. I explained a little about the watch and the movement etc. (not trying to justify, just sharing my passion) he still thinks its a nice watch but the enthusism just went. Guess some people just dont get it!!!!!!!

Fast forward about 2 hours (and a bottle and a half of wine later) and im in the bathroom washing my hands talking to a guy from our table. He's the husband of an old school friend who ive met 5 or 6 times before, nice guy but dont have mutch to do with him. He's a very successful guy with the business, the cars, the house etc.... As im talking and drying my hands he looks at my wrist with a confused expression. 'What's that?' he says. 'DSSD' i reply, at which point he holds out his arm to show me a Gen DSSD. I could see he was puzzled probably thinking 'how can he afford that'. His test was to say ' does yours do this?' at which point he opened the glide lock. 'Of course' i replied showing him mine. He then went on to tell me he paid 6.5K for his and its the best looking watch in the world etc. I didnt give him the chance to compare side by side or offer anything such as price etc (remember i said if a FRIEND asks) but he was convinced mine was Gen and some what disgruntled said 'look after that watch' as we left.

The highs and lows of rep watches. Next time i'll wear my PAM 111 and see what they both have too say about that. 

• Like 1

Love the story. I wanted to really love my BK PBDAD DSSD.

But I could never decided how to wear it

Was it a dress watch, since it was nice and polished with Rolex over over it ?

Was it a tool watch, that can be taken to any limits. 

BTW way to hold your cool and not lie about the watch in either case. 

Are you in a position where it would be odd for you to be wearing a DSSD?

Hey C.

well it wasnt a party at 12800 ft below sea level ;)

In all honesty, my good friends know i dont have that sort of money to spend on watches,im a young(ish) guy with 2 kids and a wedding coming up so £8-9K on a watch would be a bit unusual. On the other hand i'm blessed with a great job that see's me flying all over the world on business so people who know me but not my entire life probably wouldnt find it that strange. I think the guy with the Gen is just one of those who has money and likes people to know it and he wasnt to keen on the fact that he wasnt the only person with a 'Rolex' on that night.

• Like 1

Nice read, thanks! Love storys like this!!! But i realy dont get the DssD and way its so populare! When i see it i hear like a zonar in my, PIIING PIIING!

Hey ZK

I can totally understand that it's not to everyones taste but I love it. I have a varied taste in watches and like lots of styles and makers. Unfortunetly my collection is only small at the moment cos I'm fairly new to this but hope to make a few new purchases in the new year. Somewhere near the top of the list is a vintage GMT Master with Pepsi insert on soft, distressed brown leather.

Wonder where I might have got that idea from...... Seriously love that watch mate!

Guest zeleni kukuruz

1178972" timestamp=1354559533] Hehehe, thanks mate :)

1178980" time=1354560851]Hey ZKI can totally understand that it's not to everyones taste but I love it. I have a varied taste in watches and like lots of styles and makers. Unfortunetly my collection is only small at the moment cos I'm fairly new to this but hope to make a few new purchases in the new year. Somewhere near the top of the list is a vintage GMT Master with Pepsi insert on soft, distressed brown leather. Wonder where I might have got that idea from...... Seriously love that watch mate!

Hehehe, thanks mate :) but bellive it or not but that regular 1675 and the 1675 pcg are the onely watches i have!!!

But i will get this sexy lady tomorrow, also a JJ (rolexaddict) build vintage red submariner ;)

post-33845-0-53304700-1354561523_thumb.j

post-33845-0-68479500-1354561532_thumb.j

post-33845-0-93787500-1354561542_thumb.j

Hey C.

In all honesty, my good friends know i dont have that sort of money to spend on watches,im a young(ish) guy with 2 kids and a wedding coming up so £8-9K on a watch would be a bit unusual. On the other hand i'm blessed with a great job that see's me flying all over the world on business so people who know me but not my entire life probably wouldnt find it that strange. I think the guy with the Gen is just one of those who has money and likes people to know it and he wasnt to keen on the fact that he wasnt the only person with a 'Rolex' on that night.

I would suggest a Panerai from here on out :1a:

Can I ask the average age at this party? 

In my experience, this sort of "Can I see", "How much $ you pay" talk doesn't happen when the average age of a room approaches 40....  Perhaps with increasing age of the wearer it is either assumed gen, or no one gives a fsck at that station in life.

• Like 1

I would say that the average age of our table of 25 people was around 35. I think you may have a valid point Ronin, i bet if i was 50+ they would not have asked such cheaky questions out of respect.

At the end of the day i like my watches to be noticed :pardon: , i think we all do to some level, but a simple 'that looks really nice' is enough.

Hey C.

Don't forget, he is probably all too aware that you probably know his wife better than he does, so probably secretly views you as a threat ;)  You handled yourself like a Gentleman for sure :good::drinks:

When it comes to the DSSD, I'm not a big fan...  I always love how they look in photos, but when I tried one on, it just didn't do anything for me at all...  That said, one which I do like the look of and might consider, is the fantasy model Deep GMT (although I wouldn't wear the SS/Ceramic bracelet) the only thing which holds me back from pulling the trigger (other than not having the $$s) is the fear that I'd receive it, and have the same response as I had to the DSSD, and then be lumbered with a watch I can't flip... :pardon:

Can I ask the average age at this party? 

In my experience, this sort of "Can I see", "How much $ you pay" talk doesn't happen when the average age of a room approaches 40....  Perhaps with increasing age of the wearer it is either assumed gen, or no one gives a fsck at that station in life.

You are absolutely correct. at a younger age, it's all about "seen and being seen", Everyone is sort of a cross between a peacock and a wolverine, lots of fancy feathers and prancing around, but always on the defensive if someone starts to "one up" them. The older you get, the more you realize, most other folks couldn't give a rats butt about who you are and what you have (Or act like you have). Most folks are content with who they are and what they are, and the need to impress falls off precipitously. I know, because I've been there, played the game, got tired of it and retired.

I used to be really into cars, I have had several Mercedes, BMW's and Range Rovers. All were pretty nice in various degrees of niceness, but we live in a small town about 90 miles from the closest dealer that carries those brands. I realized that I was becoming a slave to my cars, every time one needed service or repair, it was a mad dash to the dealer, usually after work, renting a car and then driving back to the dealer either the next day or two days later. around 400 miles total for a service! Crazy!! I told my wife the last time she wanted a new car, here is the deal. You can have anything that can be bought and serviced here, but I'm not buying anything that requires a 100 mile trip to the dealer. She decided she liked the Lincoln SUV and that's what she got. It might not be a sexy as the BMW, Mercedes or Lexus SUV's, but she can drive to the dealership, they loan her a car for running around town or shopping, and she picks up hers later. Same thing with young guys and watches, how much did it cost? and how the hell can that guy afford a Rolex!! Life is too short to spend a lot of time with the idiots who are so self centered and vain. Most of them think that it's OK for them to own a Rolex, but the other guys in the room just don't deserve to have one! 

• Like 1