When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first ammo strap finished

irate03

FINISHED  :o

this is my first finished strap !!! there are obviously some flaws and errors that I will endeavour to learn to correct for the next one, but please critique away !!
info - French army ammo pouch, not sure of age.
I tried to keep some of the original stitch holes and cracks in to keep the character of the leather.

ammo_1.jpg

ammo_2.jpg

ammo_3.jpg

strap_project_1.jpg

strap_project_2.jpg

strap_project_3.jpg

strap_project_4.jpg

strap_project_5.jpg

strap_project_6.jpg

strap_project_7.jpg

strap_project_8.jpg

strap_project_9.jpg

strap_project_10.jpg

strap_project_11.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, I've made another one !!!

Ok so here are some little pics along with a few from the 24mm strap I made last week. This one is 26mm and very soft. I'm still waiting for a different type of tool to thin the leather, the one I have only really works well on ends. So this strap has stayed nice and thick.

strap_project_14.jpg

strap_project_15.jpg

strap_project_16.jpg

strap_project_17.jpg

strap_project_18.jpg

strap_project_19.jpg

strap_project_20.jpg

strap_project_21.jpg

Nice straps buddy, something I'd love to try,have you done anything like this before? I keep eyeing up all the tools on eBay :) keep up the good work mate ;)

These are my first straps, I've been building the watches for about a year now and I wanted to try straps so I could build the whole package top to bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

finished another ammo strap from the same pouch as the strap above.

Dark Ammo strap fitted with an Elias bronze buckle. I think this will look good with bronze / copper compression bar tubes as you can see them through the holes in the leather.

Both straps below are from the same ammo pouch, the darker brown strap is darkened just with neatsfoot oil.
Not sure if i'll keep this strap yet hence the reason I've not punched buckle holes in it yet, it may look good with a build I have coming soon.

brown_ammo_3.jpg

brown_ammo_4.jpg

brown_ammo_5.jpg

brown_ammo_6.jpg

brown_ammo_7.jpg

brown_ammo_8.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I'm so happy with this one, the tan strap above is a little stiff, I know it will soften with use but this one is made from softer leather to start with, it started out natural veg tan so I've been experimenting with dark creams and stains.
it also stars yet another Elias super buckle, this time a slightly aged and darkened bronze.

dark_brown_1.jpg

dark_brown_2.jpg

dark_brown_3.jpg

dark_brown_4.jpg

dark_brown_5.jpg

dark_brown_6.jpg

This is scary good work for first attempts!  I think you have an opportunity to pay for your REP collection by making straps.

My only critique would be to tighten up the area between the tube and the boxed stitch.  I think these are usually glued around a long pin that is removed after the glue sets up.

Keep up the great work!

This is scary good work for first attempts!  I think you have an opportunity to pay for your REP collection by making straps.

My only critique would be to tighten up the area between the tube and the boxed stitch.  I think these are usually glued around a long pin that is removed after the glue sets up.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks, it would be great to be able to make a few to sell to pay for parts for new builds.

As for the stitching, some vintage straps had a wider gap, i'm also using compression bars and a tube so the strap 'bulks' up a bit when it's fitted.

doppelrot023.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

During my holiday in Spain I picked up an old military leather belt, it was in pretty scruffy dry condition and had a very cracked surface but parts of it were still soft so I thought I'd take a gamble.
I've used saddle soap and leather conditioners as well as some aloe vera hand gel which absorbed and moistened the leather quite well  :D after stitching I gave a couple of coats of tan-kote to try and seal the surface as it does still shed a few bits, over time it with naturally rub of more loose pieces. stitching was kept to a minimum because I didn't want to encourage the leather to split under pressure. I'm very pleased with teh Elias brass buckle, I burnt off some olive oil over the stove then soaked it in salt water and vineger then left it plied up with a bunch of old coins outside in the rain overnight, the finish is really nice. This is a keeper and a little memento of my holiday.

belt_strap_01.jpg

belt_strap_02.jpg

belt_strap_03.jpg

belt_strap_04.jpg

belt_strap_05.jpg

belt_strap_06.jpg

belt_strap_07.jpg