When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

F#ck you noob! Where is the courtesy?

Rolexman

Hi all,

A newbie here and (at least I hope), a polite and educated person. I agree 100% with all the things that have been contributed so far in the thread. I nonetheless would like to point out that as a newbie in your wonderful forum I myself have been experiencing arrogance and ignorance only, it did not come from another "noob". This is to say that in my (humble) opinion we basically all are nice and kind but there are good days and bad days for everyone. It takes a *lot* of strenght to go through anything and everything and still find the will to smile.

• Like 1

I think the problem is more extensive than Reps/Noobs/ RWG, etc. The world seems to be getting less civilized in terms of

everyday manners. I don't know exactly why, I think the explosion of Facebook & all the gadgets people have may be part of it.

I thought because I live in NYC it was mostly a geographic thing- many high powered dicks here- but I think its more widespread.

Too many self absorbed, self-entitled  a-holes  running around. I have to admit sometimes I get swept up too.

+1 here.

Use the phone to TALK and hear a voice.

Then set up a meeting, like in the good old times, and shake hands!

The world today is making humans looking more and more like aliens.

All is virtual.

One of these days, s e x and love will lead to virtual babies...and then we will be erased from the planet!

• Like 1

We were all noobies once, and much as I agree, that a significant percentage of noobs are the thankless variety, there are those that blossomed into full-fledged, giving members of this community. I would hope to be a veteran member here someday :D

I would like to thank RWG crew and members like Nanuq, Maxman, Teejay, etc for being kind and obliging to me when I was still new and green. Now I am less new and a darker green. :lol: 

There are shades of green!? Man what a noob I am! :blush:

apparently some of us are greener than the others. You and me, bro, we belong to the same shade of green I guess? One tinged with, say, the metallic sheen of platinum? :lol:

My view is the same as some of the guys have already said, we get a fair mix of people on here, some of them will not have the slightest thought to say thanks for something you have shared or indeed done for them, but tbh I'm pretty used to that bringing up 2 teenagers at the moment ;)  what I don't like to see is when a noob (much like myself) comes on and asks a question that is easy to find on the boards, then if they haven't had an answer within an hr or so they start posting smart arse comments like 'supposed to be the friendliest forum on the net, no help to me' :huh:  Note to Noobs with questions.......we will all do our best to help but we do sleep ya know  :inverted:  read, read, read and a bit of patience is all you need to get along in the forum, that and the common courtesy of saying a polite 'Thank you' when someone goes out of their way to help you.......my 2c

Oh and another thing too..............................Thank you to all the people that have helped me in the past, you know who you are :notworthy:  and that's the 2nd time !     

• Like 2

I have experienced the same ill manners from noobs more times than I care to mention and yes it does grind you when there is no acknowledgement let alone any courtesy... indeed you can see that lack of courtesy in the initial PM and you know there and then that this guy is one of those described above....but regardless I still reply..in the hope that maybe I am wrong but mainly because they maybe like that but I aint so i aint going down to that level...

BUT.....

I have also experienced the same discourtesy from the more senior members on the forums..one of them was even a mod on another forum!! With him I sent some very long emails with diagrams and photos with annotations etc and ..after that ..not a word not a nothing!! And to add insult to injury using my advice he had  gone ahead and then posted about all about the research he had done and used all my info to beef up his thread and then took the positive comments....

I dont care if he doesnt acknowledge his sources or that he only achieved what he did on the back of others..that never bothers me but all I would ask is a simple thank you just something to acknowledge the time and effort I put into giving him the best answers I could...

So although I agree with the OPs initial comments I dont agree we are just talking about noobs.... I have dealt with a few noobs who have been great in their quest for info and advice.. and just as many ignorant 'senior' members as noobs...and its been like that for a few years not just recently...

• Like 2

There are shades of green!? Man what a noob I am! :blush:

Well at least it aint 'Grey' !!!    That would be another forum !!

;)

Edited by PeteM

I have experienced the same ill manners from noobs more times than I care to mention and yes it does grind you when there is no acknowledgement let alone any courtesy... indeed you can see that lack of courtesy in the initial PM and you know there and then that this guy is one of those described above....but regardless I still reply..in the hope that maybe I am wrong but mainly because they maybe like that but I aint so i aint going down to that level...

BUT.....

I have also experienced the same discourtesy from the more senior members on the forums..one of them was even a mod on another forum!! With him I sent some very long emails with diagrams and photos with annotations etc and ..after that ..not a word not a nothing!! And to add insult to injury using my advice he had  gone ahead and then posted about all about the research he had done and used all my info to beef up his thread and then took the positive comments....

I dont care if he doesnt acknowledge his sources or that he only achieved what he did on the back of others..that never bothers me but all I would ask is a simple thank you just something to acknowledge the time and effort I put into giving him the best answers I could...

So although I agree with the OPs initial comments I dont agree we are just talking about noobs.... I have dealt with a few noobs who have been great in their quest for info and advice.. and just as many ignorant 'senior' members as noobs...and its been like that for a few years not just recently...

I've run out of 'likes' for the day, but that is so true.  Courtesy is courtesy, regardless of who it is extended to and by :good::drinks:

• Like 3

Tee how do you run out of likes, use them quit prodigiously at times never ran out. There's a limit ?

I'm a prolific facebooker...  I tend to 'like' a lot of stuff if I agree with what a person's said, but can't necessarily contribute an answer :)

No problem T....have one of mine. :drinks:

Mike

Thanks, bro :good::drinks:

• Like 1

Wow... been away for a little bit.  As TT mentioned in an earlier post, life happens, and it has certainly been happening with me lately ;)

Been super busy and finally have gotten around to spending some time reading through old threads.  It's saddening to see threads like this one.  It wasn't that long ago that Ubi posted a similar thread.  Unfortunately, it's just the nature of the forum world.  It amazes me sometimes how people spend a large portion of their lives on forums only to leech information, troll and generally bring the vibe of a great community down.  

Of course, the flip side is when you root through the trouble makers and general pricks, there are some amazing folks to be met!  

Believe me, I know what it's like and it can get frustrating, but as has been mentioned, it's best just to move on and ignore it.  For me, if someone who I don't know asks for input or advice about something, I will do a little research on the member.  When did they join?  Have they posted anything yet?  Is it constructive?  Are they generally polite and/or well mannered.  If so, then I am happy to answer any and all questions (time permitting).  If they haven't posted at all, or posted some negative/silly/stupid comments then I will tend to just ignore them.  

I was a noob once too and I have learned so much from so many folks around here that I like to consider friends.  Thing is, I wouldn't have dared asked any of them a question in a personal PM without doing A LOT of my own research first.  I think the folks around here have been so helpful towards me because I took the time to be courteous and made an effort to learn.  

It's not hard people.  It just takes patience and time ;)

• Like 4

You guys dont know how powerful is the word

!!!!! T h a n k y o u !!!!!!

Not as Powerful as....'Would you mind picking up my soap..luvverboy ?'

• Like 3

I come out where a number of other folks have. To the extent that people have gotten ruder it is symptomatic of both the times and the growth in the rep industry. If people are in society at large ruder, more abrupt and seeking instant gratification in a "me, me" environment which I think most of us would generally agree, the industry itself has also become much more of a hit and run situation. Great out of the box reps are readily available and in large volume. You just need to know where and what to buy. And the ubiquitousness of the internet makes all these facts evermore evident. Go search on your favorite watch and half the time what comes first are the reps rather than the gens. And now all the potential rep buyer has to do is show up, ask a few questions, get what he wants and move on. And it really doesn't take much more than that. There will always be too many jerks in society and with the world moving ever closer to a virtual world where no one has to take responsibility for their own actions this will only get worse not better. The challenge will always be to attract and keep those fewer folks who have a broader love of horology and at some level are looking for some comraderie.

• Like 2

You need to get off your shoe box and pipe down mate. Without noobs, even the "bad ones" ,this board will die very fast. So what if they ask stupid questions and show no commitment. With the right attitude from the elders here a lot of more of them will stay.

Putting you above others is the least flattering thing I can think of .....

• Like 1