When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying A Gen

Martyd3

That is what I was thinking. I love my Sub reps, but with the Seadweller, I think you need to go with a gen. Some watches just don't rep well.

Personally, I'd buy a great sub rep and a gen that can't be repped (I operate under the principle that a rep is truly just a rep, but that buying a gen of well repped watch is flushing money away) but if you're dead set on a gen Rolex the seadweller is the way to go. I wouldn't be surprised if an excellent rep of the Seadweller came out tomorrow, but so far, they seem content to use the (incorrect) sub cases for them.

SD with the old discontinued side case holes case. :wub: I can't warm up to the new flush case, not on the SD or any of the sports models for that matter. Unfortunately, the SD doesn't sit comfortably on my wrist with its thick and steeply angled case back.

I'l also a big fan of the 14060, the only remaining sports model to retain the side case holes and thick [censored] spring bars. The simple and clean dial is a thing of beauty IMO, as it was with the original. Reps of these aren't even close, either.

Nice problem to have. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Seadweller is far less common and every man and his dog has a Sub and even the reps are common and so good at first glance that you see them everywhere!

I bought a gen SD just before they went up in price around a month ago and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. The watch has great wrist presence and looks far more purposeful with the thicker case and crystal.

The bracelet is stronger too than a SUB. :)

Try them both on... after you're done wondering why the SD is so much more comfortable than the sub, buy it. I did that a few summers ago... owned a sub... tried on a SD and it was a thousand times more comfortable... turns out it's 1mm thicker in the back so the crown doesn't dig into the back of your hand.

I'll be one of the few voices of dessent and say SUBMARINER every time.

The SD is a great watch but the sub is the one with all the heritgage and call me dumb but I sort of get a kick out of the fact that Sean Connery wore it through all the early Bond films.

Plus I think a Rolex is not a Rolex with out the cyclopse. I can see why some people think they are ugly but it is a MAOR part of what makes Rolex Rolex. Not getting a cyclopse is sort of like buying a 40mm Panerai... what's the point?

Fianlly, and this is just a REALLY small issue I would not worry much about but still. The SD looks SO similar to the sub that a lot of people who see it will assume it is a fake sub since it does not have the cyclopse.