When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just another Blue Tudor Snowflake 9401/0

civic4982

This project started about 3 months ago and since then has gone through quite a few iterations and problems. Special thanks to JMB for being an integral part of making this come together.

From the start I was wanting to do a 9411/0 but I had trouble perfecting the colour of the dial and the date wheel to get things "just right."

I did find a "good" dial on ebay from seller Mahand but the datewheel opening had an error and the slight beveling that exists in the datewheel opening is not present in any of the reproductions of that dial. If you look at the gen you'll notice it has a very nice beveled edge that goes down into where the date shows up. I felt that this was a tell I couldn't live with.

Here's the mahand dial which I found the colour to be pretty decent but the date wheel opening was, as stated, off:

DSC08454.JPG

To simplify the situation I decided to nix the date wheel and got another dial from Mahand for a 9401. The colour was a light blue shade almost identical to what I've seen come from Yuki... To me that was not acceptable. You can see it below.

I then contracted out a dial maker named PVirus who is a member on HomageForum. After about 2 months I got 2 dials in hand in 2 variations of the deep dark blue colour that I had been looking for.

So far as the case was concerned well I didn't notice it until I was pretty deep into the project that the rehaut was not properly angled and looked blocky and frankly like crap.

Here's what it used to be to give you an idea (with the Mahand 9401 dial)

IMG_1181.JPG

Anyways...

So gradually it was all pieced together including the following parts:
5513 Cartel case with much modification by JMB including lugs drilled, caseback engraved, rehaut redone, gen crowntube installed.
Gen 703 Crown/Tube
Clark's T19 Plexi
CWP Bezel Inlay
Ofrei lumed acrylic pearl
PVirus custom snowflake dial
JMB hands aged by me slightly
2846-2 ETA from a vintage Enicar to match beatrate of the original 2776 ETA of 21,600 bph.

It's been a fun journey and I won't stop wearing this over the next week I'm sure.

The only thing I may consider doing next is dropping a few shekels on a Yuki Tudor rotor for it.

Gen for comparison:

tudor-snowflake.jpg

And here is my now completed Tudor  9401/0 Blue Submariner "Snowflake"

DSC08693.JPG

DSC08694.JPG

Gen Crown

DSC08696.JPG

DSC08691.JPG

DSC08683.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Looks bloody nice mate   :notworthy:   

Yep, verry nice,

Wow, Very nice, very very nice

Nice results, wear it well!  Any chance we can see some macro shots of the dial? 

Thanks.

Awesome results. Looks great!

Thanks fellas!

I love posting my completed projects here on RWG. I wish I had more time on the interwebzzzz and could spend more time here. A great forum and a great group of enthusiasts!!!

As for macro shots I wish I had a better lens to do Macro. I can't really offer better shots than the ones you've got. I'm not very skilled sadly with the camera :(

Gahhhhhh!!!

Tell me more about that 6200!

*twitch*

Why?  You'd just run over it with a D-9!!!  :Jumpy:

Civic - Like I said on "that other forum", it's not just another Snowflake - it's YOURS!!!

Gahhhhhh!!!

Tell me more about that 6200!

*twitch*

I agree.

Why?  You'd just run over it with a D-9!!!  :Jumpy:

Civic - Like I said on "that other forum", it's not just another Snowflake - it's YOURS!!!

Nanuq and Gavidoc

Sorry I never shared that 6200 over here.

This project has been something around 7 months in the works with several different dial renditions and started out as a 21J and got updated to a ETA 2836-2... Many many MANY upgrades later it is as I present before you.

The project has a thread over on HF : http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11716

JMB: yeah ;) It is my lovely Tudor Sub and I can't stop wearing it at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...