When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How many times have you said the words "This is a keeper" only to sell it a few ..

loupeso

Days , months later . I picked up a piece today I have been eying for 2-3 years and said it in front of my brother and he looked at me with a stupid face and said I always say that . If you have done this what piece was it and do you regret it ?

Honestly, I believe that 99% of WIS are inveterate flippers. We are sort of like the girl, that can't figure out whether the guy she is with is " Mr. Right, or Mr. Right Now"!! we fall in and out of love on a regular basis.

I'm just as bad, I could kick myself now for some of the watches I have sold over the years. How I would love to have back the genuine DRSD, the 1680, the early Daytona, the second 1680, the two 18k Day/Dates, and a bunch of other brand watches I sold/traded over the years. Water under the bridge, because what is done is done.

My advice to you young guys, try to hold on to a few, because no one knows what will be tomorrow's classic.

Honestly, I believe that 99% of WIS are inveterate flippers. We are sort of like the girl, that can't figure out whether the guy she is with is " Mr. Right, or Mr. Right Now"!! we fall in and out of love on a regular basis.

I'm just as bad, I could kick myself now for some of the watches I have sold over the years. How I would love to have back the genuine DRSD, the 1680, the early Daytona, the second 1680, the two 18k Day/Dates, and a bunch of other brand watches I sold/traded over the years. Water under the bridge, because what is done is done.

My advice to you young guys, try to hold on to a few, because no one knows what will be tomorrow's classic.

+1!

Never been in this situation.

But I often seen guys on the forum showing off their fantastic build, they tell it is the watch of their life, their ultimate grail, their exit watch and keeper...

and one week later you see the same watch in the trading area.

Sometimes that makes my think: was all the bla-bla before just PR for selling the watch later?

I know, the journey is the destination, but when I build a watch which sometimes takes more than one year, I can never sell it especially because of that story, all the blood and sweat I've put in...

the only reason why I would sell one of my franken watches would be to fund a (the) gen.

Just my 2 cents

I have been in this situation where I built a franken ap and had it for about six months took several memorable trips with my family and then got tempted with a franken Daytona that I ended up trading it for. I regretted that trade every day I had the Daytona. It took me six months of begging to finally get the ap back and now it will have to be pried off my wrist when I die, it also didnt help that we took a family summer picture so I got reminded every damn day I looked at that picture that was hanging on my wall!

I only miss one watch that I'll probably never get back...

I never saw such a beauty and I don't know to whom she belongs now...:(

That's a good one!! I would try to track that one down if I were you.

I've had a couple watches so far that I should have kept hold of, dare I say 'Grail' pieces  ;)  I'm such a whore when it comes to watches, I'm destined to be a serial flipper ! 

Oh yes my Ingy, and a Tag Link that I sold recently, a Gen Omega SmP too, if only we could keep them all......  :whistling:

The only times I've said the words "This one's a keeper" were...

• When I proposed to Ms. Nanuq
  • When my kids were born

Everything else is just "things."  The people are the lifetime connections.

• Like 1

I never say any of my watches are keepers or grails unless I mean it. Only two pieces have been kept in my collection for over a year and they aren't even that great. A classic G-Shock with screw down caseback and a ginault that I plan on having my family crest printed on the dial. The ginault will end up being the pass down watch, not some fancy smancy Rolex (seriously be original people).

I've learned that you end up eating crow at the end whenever you bought your "grail". Especially if you are part of any watch forum.

The forums are the reason we have the urge to buy and sell so often.