When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's The Most You Would Spend On A Daily Beater?

crystalcranium

I want to know if I'm nuts or not...

If I wear any of my precious collection to the grocery store, I take it off prior to removing the items from my cart for fear of scratching or banging it on anything metalic.

I was depressed for several hours one day when I realized my GT caseback had been scratched by the speed bracelet.

I already have re-plating options prioritized for my rose gold FA Jones ......that I wear for 2 hours a week to church.

OK, I don't need any opinions on the nuts part...I think I just made an easy self diagnosis. Felix Unger lives!

My question is where is the dividing line in genuine watches for you in terms of buying performance vs buying for the sake of having? I omit replicas from this question because the performance/collection aspects are skewed. I know, for me, having an SMP chrono diver genuine does not mean I'm ready for any underwater activity, it means I have a watch I always wanted. $200 for a dive watch I can play in the waves with or jump into the pool wearing is about all I'm willing to risk on performance. Has anyone paid thousands of dollars for a watch because you knew you could take it into battle and rely on it? Would anyone in their right mind pay $10,000 for a solid gold dive watch and wear it into the water when the only thing between the watch and the bottom of the ocean is a $0.20 springbar?????

My wife bought me a gen Seamaster Pro for around $AU2k... I just bought a Sinn U1 for around $US1k...

They are both great watches; Although I don't consider the SMP Pro as a 'beater', I think it will taks a beating just fine.

I *do* consider the Sinn a beater and I know it will take anything I would put it through, although I did break the springbar while adjusting the strap :lol::(

Your comment on springbars is disturbing :Jumpy:

I am with you. No watches I would lose sleep over go in the water. I find that many folks who wear expensive gens (other than dedicated dive watches) are folks with no idea what they are wearing. In effect they treat it as jewelry. It used to drive me crazy when my significant other would routinely wear very expensive (too me) gen to the beach and everywhere else. Her comment was "what is the point of having a watch if you have to worry about it". She had no appreciation for the watch value - only the jewelry value. She will wear jewelry in any circumstance and not worry about it. Needless to say I quickly bought her a lower priced gen. The guys I know that are walking around with $10,000 or more on their wrist tend to own them because they are prestigious or they like the way they look. Obviously, if the watch is on a leather band they do take them off in environmentally hazardous conditions (to protect the leather - :lol: ). But if the watch is on a metal bracelet they think it is automatically bulletproof. Maybe we know too much. ;)

Of course the funniest part is that I lose more sleep over my modded reps than the gens. :bangin:

I wore a £1200 (so about $2300) Tag for five years continuously, except when I was sleeping and thought nothing of it. It was a real beater, got knocked about and scratched up and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

I feel the same about my reps. I'm a bit more careful about them getting wet but that's mainly because the majority are on leather but I didn't treat the gen any differently than I do to the reps really.

Here's my daily beater -- can't seem to take it off. $399.00 directly from Steinhart. Swiss Eta 2824 - 1,000 Ft/300 M - feels great on the wrist. To me it feels better than the James Bond SMP I had. The only thing I have that is more comfotable is my Railmaster w/ leather strap.

Best of all, don't have to worry about scratching it, or getting it wet.

http://www.steinhartwatches.com/store/ocea...-42mm-p-83.html

155364-13881.jpg

Edited by johnboy777

I have a number of watches that I wear on a daily basis and when I dive, etc. My favorite is this one:

155376-13876.jpg

Solid, military reliability, and just a beauty! It has some really cool features such as the tritium gas filled markers and 1000ft rating. I wouldn't have ANY concern with diving deep with this watch. If you are really concerned about the watch coming off, you can get the Maratac Zulu 4 buckle strap.

155376-13877.jpg

Edited by M5Man

When it's time for something tough but expendable, I have this one:

155385-13875.jpg

Yes, that pic was taken today just for this post. Yes, it's based on the professional shot of the Steinhart. Yes, it's a better shot all round.

ps. I'm seeing a trend of people relying on gen Tool watches instead of reps...

When it's time for something tough but expendable, I have this one:

155390-13872.jpg

Yes, that pic was taken today just for this post. Yes, it's based on the professional shot of the Steinhart. Yes, it's a better shot all round.

Here's my beach watch, pool watch .

155390-13873.jpg

Borrowed from PMWF

For general work where scratches and abrasions are the norm, anything under $20 that tells time is the norm.

Who you callin' a "tool"? :D

I have a Tissot diver that I bought, it leaked once but has been replaced by the company. Use that for diving, the gym, etc. I've been pretty good about not beating my watches too much, but I wear one all the time for almost everything except sleep. Gens and reps, they all get a bunch of wrist time, they're all holding up well. Having some wear on them lets people know that I do wear them and tends to convey the love I have for them, not the overprotectiveness.

Watches are made for wearing. Enjoy them.

I generally rotate my daily watch between a gen SS submariner, a gen Tag Monico and a gen PAM 24. I do not wear these watches to the beach or while buulding somehting or anything liek that. for that I generally just use a cheapo Nike watch or something liek that (I have several).

I generally reserve wearing fake watches for times that I particularly feel they will work well with what I am wearing etc.... but never for anything tough.

I have a seiko pilots chrono that i wear for wars and the like. I bought my first when i was left some moneywhen i was 15 for about £15 in 1985 just before i joined up, 5 years later i lost that one claimed on my insurance, got a new one, later that got stolen, claimed and got a new one, it is sort of a good luck thing. It only sees daylight when i go away though. I have a cheep seadweller for gardening but my railmaster gets the most wear. My wife wears here gen AT @ £1400 for washing the pots but not her 217 !

My previous gen. 111 has been put through the abuse. I wear it to sleep, wear it while washing dishes and working on house chores, etc. These activities has def. contributed a fair amount of swirls on the watch - thank god no dings. Now, my gen. 112 has replaced the 111 and I still do the same stuff except that I do not wear it to sleep. I rotate my other gens as well..... you can say I use them as my daily beaters.

My reps, on the other hand, are put through hell. I use them for physical activities whereby the probability of getting dings and scratches are much higher. Gym use, moving stuff, etc. Funny that my reps hardly suffered any dings- just minor scuffs and small surface scratches - nothing major surprisingly.

I like to enjoy my watches so I tend to wear them as often as I can. For genuines, a conscious effort not to ding them is something I can't run away from but by wearing them as much as I can, I can safely say that I am putting my watches into good use and with much enjoyment and satisfaction. I am not the type for safe-queens (used to be) but once I got over it wearing on a daily basis, I find myself appreciating the watch like it should be in the first place.

I want to know if I'm nuts or not...

If I wear any of my precious collection to the grocery store, I take it off prior to removing the items from my cart for fear of scratching or banging it on anything metalic.

I was depressed for several hours one day when I realized my GT caseback had been scratched by the speed bracelet.

I already have re-plating options prioritized for my rose gold FA Jones ......that I wear for 2 hours a week to church.

OK, I don't need any opinions on the nuts part...I think I just made an easy self diagnosis. Felix Unger lives!

My question is where is the dividing line in genuine watches for you in terms of buying performance vs buying for the sake of having? I omit replicas from this question because the performance/collection aspects are skewed. I know, for me, having an SMP chrono diver genuine does not mean I'm ready for any underwater activity, it means I have a watch I always wanted. $200 for a dive watch I can play in the waves with or jump into the pool wearing is about all I'm willing to risk on performance. Has anyone paid thousands of dollars for a watch because you knew you could take it into battle and rely on it? Would anyone in their right mind pay $10,000 for a solid gold dive watch and wear it into the water when the only thing between the watch and the bottom of the ocean is a $0.20 springbar?????

you don't have to worry about loosing that 10,000.00 dive watch, that's what your homeowners insurance is for. srcrew it, that's why i pay them.

The concept of the moderately priced (between rep and higher end gen) do-it-all tool watch that one wears most of the time is an attractive one. Unfortunately I would guess that many of us are just too far down the rep and gen road and already have too many watches crying out for wrist time to really be able to do justice to the concept.

In any case IMO there is no right price for daily beaters because the "daily beater" itself, once you get past a few bucks for a Casio, is just another lifestyle luxury item. For, most of us desk jockey types the specific need for a daily "beater" is highly overrated. What exactly is going to happen to me in the process of going to work, working, and coming home from work that I have to select a trusty, bulletproof companion watch as if I am James Bond or Indiana Jones?

The concept of the moderately priced (between rep and higher end gen) do-it-all tool watch that one wears most of the time is an attractive one. Unfortunately I would guess that many of us are just too far down the rep and gen road and already have too many watches crying out for wrist time to really be able to do justice to the concept.

In any case IMO there is no right price for daily beaters because the "daily beater" itself, once you get past a few bucks for a Casio, is just another lifestyle luxury item. For, most of us desk jockey types the specific need for a daily "beater" is highly overrated. What exactly is going to happen to me in the process of going to work, working, and coming home from work that I have to select a trusty, bulletproof companion watch as if I am James Bond or Indiana Jones?

Daily beaters are a must for anyone but a couch potato,.. :whistling:

I work a white collar job, but still do alot of hiking, working on hobbies and my home,.. fixing my kids

bikes, yard work, exercise, playing sports,... ect. ect. ect...

My choice, that came around by random chance is Narikaa's $125 Jlc memovox w/ alarm,.. on croc..

A Highly under-rated piece that has function, style, elegance, but it's also a rugged, heavy, hearty and

happy piece of 316L that takes a knocking but keeps on clocking.... ^_^

I get more envious looks from men, and inquisical glances from women, when sporting this, than

any other watch I own.... and now never wear any other....

Hmmm... I just realized this fact..

I think a yard sale is in order..... -_-

Daily beaters are a must for anyone but a couch potato,.. :whistling:

I work a white collar job, but still do alot of hiking, working on hobbies and my home,.. fixing my kids

bikes, yard work, exercise, playing sports,... ect. ect. ect...

My choice, that came around by random chance is Narikaa's $125 Jlc memovox w/ alarm,.. on croc..

A Highly under-rated piece that has function, style, elegance, but it's also a rugged, heavy, hearty and

happy piece of 316L that takes a knocking but keeps on clocking.... ^_^

I get more envious looks from men, and inquisical glances from women, when sporting this, than

any other watch I own.... and now never wear any other....

Hmmm... I just realized this fact..

I think a yard sale is in order..... -_-

Yes, this is why the "daily beater" concept is so profitable for watch companies. So many wannabe James Bonds and Indiana Joneses in the world.