When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Point of diminishing return

PGWDaddy

Is there one in this hobby?

I have my projects, but I'm noticing that upgrades will exceed the price I paid. Logic says to 1) sell what I have to, 2) fund the purchase of better pieces.

Although it takes the fun out of upgrading and repairs, if I purchase the right pieces from the right trusted dealers, my odd of getting a better quality piece increase greatly.

What are your thoughts?

With anything, there is a PDR. However, one of the things to remember, especially in this hobby is that most of the builds are emotional. So, when that comes into play, logic takes a time out.

Especially, because these have no resale, besides in the community, so really it's just for fun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

I actually prefer doing the builds now. Wasn't always that way. I treat it more like a hobby now, instead of just wanting to buy the latest and greatest version of something.

While I spend more in some cases, I now keep fewer in the watch box. I get to wear them more often and enjoy them more this way.

The main thing you have to be careful of is don't spend more (as a % of the gen price) to make the watch completely unsellable.

Edited by tomhorn

I think it is very individualized. Each member here has their own reasons for getting into reps. Building or modding a rep to be more accurate is getting into  advanced hobbying. Building a franken, or a build using all gen parts is going all out. We all have those options, and can do more, or not, at any time we want. 

I try to use as few gen parts as possible. If I can build a watch that only those here can tell is a rep, then that speaks to my accomplishment. 

+1 what he said...although considering the price of some gens these days I might drop that threshold to 25%

I tend to stop at 50% the cost of an actual GEN in doing builds/mods. However, if the build contains GEN parts that could be parted back out, and resold, if need be, I might go higher.

However, one of the things to remember, especially in this hobby is that most of the builds are emotional. 

This is so true, and can relate to it completely regarding my Carrera franken build, even though I have made a mistake of spending just under the price of a used gen of the same model.  To me, its not the $, but I understand the advice above from tomhorn, and will factor this in with my next build.

Edited by SSTEEL

"Each member here has their own reasons for getting into reps."

I bought some run of the mill replicas 20+ years ago just to see what was what and turned them into a hobby 10 or 12 years ago when rolex USA started cutting genuine parts off. I stuck with rolex because I was familiar with them and had a few crowns etc. I stay with acrylic crystal no date or slow set vintage model Frankensteins plus 36mm sapphire DJ with swiss Etas.

I also kept a few nooby type swisseta F520117 etc 16610 and a few swisseta whs GMT/XII with sapphire crystals...all 'nos collector items' now...Ha!

On Frankenstein projects I try to keep the cost down to what it will sell for as parts...no $500 to $1000 cases etc.

The most expensive replica I ever bought was a new MBK 1680.

The most expensive Frankenstein mess I ever got into was a Phong case/dial 1655 with genuine 1575 converted to GMT with new genuine parts.

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

(Attributed to Mark Twain)

The general rule is that the initial purchase cost is usually outweighed (often many times over) by the costs to improve it.

Very true.  My Carrera cost $284 delivered, and my gen parts to date stand at $1500.

Almost every rep I own is a franken. Most have a bunch of gen parts, a couple are all gen except the case and movement. My old rule of thumb was to spend around 20% of the gen price. This has been knocked into a cocked hat the past couple of years, as vintage Rolex parts have gotten so expensive. For me, it's all about the journey. Planning a build, doing the research,finding the parts, working with one of our great modders to put together a watch that I can be proud of. Several of mine would have to be parted out to get most of my money back, but that's pretty much the norm after you get to a certain price level with reps. Personally, I would rather have a small watch box filled with nicely modded reps rather than a boatload of "factory fresh" unmodded watches.

Yeah, you'll have that with any hobby. High-end Audio gear is WAY worse. I've spent $800 on a power-cable for some stupid reason.

To avoid this, only 2-3 of the 15 "rep" watches I own aren't what most would consider "super-franken" so that I can always part them out if I need to.

I have about $5K into my 16520. Now, I did it "right" and have a watch that would have cost $10K on a good day. If I lose interest, I can ALWAYS sell off the Dial, Hands, Movement, Bracelet, Pushers, and Crown/Tube on eBay and break even. Hell, I may make some $, as I got good deals on everything.

It's all about your pain threshold.

My reason for frankening, is that I absolutely love working with something that is imperfect, sourcing gen parts, and then rebuilding the watch to be near as damn perfect.  I guess I have a passion for the hobby, as working with something so small, and intricate, I now have a understanding on the love, and passion that watchsmiths have in this hobby/profession. 

No, but I've been in contact with MD2020. Once I make my mind up, he's been gracious enough to help me out. From what I've been reading, I'm in good hands.

How about you? Any solid contacts in the area?

Up here with 'da folks' in Montgomery Co. Germantown, MD

Have u identified any rep friendly watchmakers in the area?