When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Im convinced........

tframo

everyone i meet that has a nice watch, its a rep.......

Anyone else feel the same way?

I mean Ive owned gen breits, and I cant tell the difference from arms length. I wear reps and always get compliments.  Whats the point of buying a $10,000 gen when you can get a $500 (or $300) rep that looks and performs almost as good?

Thoughts?

I asked him...

He just told me to get out of his bathroom....

He was pretty rude actually....and he made me leave the underwear >>>>

:)

Edited by petem
  • Like 2

If I do buy a gen, it's for me, not for anyone else, the level of quality is far greater and it's something I can notice while wearing the watch. Any Reps I wear are indistinguishable at arms length and give me a much greater variety when waking up in the morning and selecting the watch that I am going to wear.

For the record, I think Archie needs a personal invite to RWG, this would be wildly entertaining.

• Like 2

Well someone has to buy the gens or we will have nothing to rep :)

I wonder if the gen makers ever saw a fantasy rep and then decided to gen it...???

:)

The last guy I checked with was wearing a Rolex 1680 and I thought I gotta take a look.........so he says his wife bought it for him for his 20th wedding anniversary..... for 5k.................I'm thinking holy shit mate this is a rep and a bad one at that, I'm not telling him his wife has bought a cheapie! He then goes on to tell me it's a rep and what do I reckon for 35$ ........he was robbed that's what I reckon!

I buy watches...reps and Gens for me, that's it :inverted:  

I am 50/50 on this topic... my problem is that I cant just buy a rep and leave it... I have to buy a rep and then franken it out.... which at that point I start getting to gen prices by the time I am done. At the end of the day a rep might LOOK as good and a rep might run ALMOST as good but we all know that a gen really does have better quality parts and at the end of the day every rep I have owned has some sort of "offness" that I can see and I am someone that wants perfection. haha.... BUT...... I cant stop buying reps and franken them.

I know, I have a problem.

I am 50/50 on this topic... my problem is that I cant just buy a rep and leave it... I have to buy a rep and then franken it out.... which at that point I start getting to gen prices by the time I am done. At the end of the day a rep might LOOK as good and a rep might run ALMOST as good but we all know that a gen really does have better quality parts and at the end of the day every rep I have owned has some sort of "offness" that I can see and I am someone that wants perfection. haha.... BUT...... I cant stop buying reps and franken them.

Out of interest..

Which 50 is which?

but a good problem. enjoy. my mod is usually to buy a new strap ;)

Who is Archie?

Hey.... give me a break. We get our news by dogsled here and by the time it reaches us, it's not "news" anymore, it's "olds".

Best I can tell Archie is the pant less (literally) guy that reviewed the watches of that guy that posted his watch collection on WUS a few weeks back. Thing is, some of them were dodgey at best and might have had a ringer in the group with another "vouching" that one of them was real. Most felt that they were reps....

Archie, literally wearing no pants, did a video were he said some hilarious stuff and got to love his screen presence.

Someone still have a link to the video? Repost it please, I could use a great laugh! No wait, on second thought it was to painful to watch.....

Edit: thanks fraggle

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat with the same problem... Lol. I'm just itching to pull the trigger on a gen. Just looking for any reason to buy!

Now that depends on the gen...

Just spend some time on any gen forum and you will see they have similar problem to us..... especially with certain brands and models...

So yes buy a gen.... it does make such a difference.... and its nice to have both.... but be careful what you buy... like rep makers and thier QC...gen makers have reputations too... some which int good..

You can see that in comments about AR being poor, being weak to scratch easy, Lume poor, DOA movemnets, crap straps, weak crown stems, etc etc he lists go on and on...

I can get better AR after market than most gens give you....

Indeed many watchinista do aftermarket modding to gens for that exact same reason..be it lume/AR..etc etc

So yes buy one ///   but buy right :)

And if its of interest... there plenty of gen makers out there that are keen to get a foothold in the market and so their prices are very very competitive...for the quality etc... and if you buy right it could be a good investment...

All high brands started somewhere... just look at say PAMs.... those first models released in 1993 are now worth 30K plus going up to $100K... that is an extreme but you get the idea :)

For a start have a look at this link for ideas against budgets...   click 'Watch buying guide' to start

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/

Edited by petem

Who is Archie?

Hey.... give me a break.  We get our news by dogsled here and by the time it reaches us, it's not "news" anymore, it's "olds".

Remember Robin Leech?

The know-it-all guy from the 70'-80's....english accent......"Rich and Famous"

Fat guy...annoying voice?

Same deal....but for luxury watches an stuff.    :partytime: