When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rent to buy gen watches

rails

For those who can't afford a gen, or simply want to test drive a watch before buying might want to check out D and C Watch Co.

For $49+ / mo you can rent from a selection of ~16 watches, so check out a gen Rollie sub or a Breitling Chronomat or my personal favorite the Speedmaster Pro (I want to be an astronaut).

They do also offer a pseudo rent-to-own service, where about half of the money spent on renting can be applied to the purchase price of a watch...

If you choose to try this service, please treat it as if you're leasing a Benz take very good care of it, and do not run for the border.

They don't tell you how you qualify or not, also no credit check usually...odd?

"D&C Watch Co. has a proprietary risk management process to determine a customer's eligibility, and we can't make any exceptions to our process no matter how creditworthy the customer may be. We respectfully ask that customers don't inquire about our risk management procedures - if we shared the details of our policies, it obviously defeats the purpose of having those policies in place."

300$ a month to rent a 16610? that's a lot of cash...at least to me... to just wear a watch :)

Here's another company doing it, but with more watches

http://hautevault.com/watches-mens-sport

and another

http://borrowedtimewatches.com/how_it_works

Found a link to a watch forum from 2005 talking about this.

Seems  you actually end up getting your credit card charged full amount of the watch as deposit, minus rental fee on return.  :partytime:

There's also situations out there that are really like buying timeshares, they call them watch clubs.

The idea ...I like ...

The practicalities I am hesitant of...

T&Cs, deposits, events of loss, damage etc...I mean it aint hard to scratch these up without abuse...so do you get stung on rebrushing etc etc then issues that mayb e more warrnty related could end up being held over you...like garages try to do if you aint savvy..

Then those sorts of issues if you end up with a watch thats already had a few users...etc etc...

I think try before you buy is better suited for reps ..... thats really the best way to try it out...

Its also a great way to scam punters...I have thought of a few while typing this :)

Interesting! Maybe M2M rent of replicas is the way to go to keep our costs down???

Or that same thing you do with homes for holidays.... swap for a few weeks.. :)

I swap with established members on HF. Keeps our costs down and we don't have to build new watches. Our VIP status is invite only so it's pretty well vetted and I just reade with other VIP folks. Obviously in country only to avoid customs issues and always ship priority and always insured.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I swap with established members on HF. Keeps our costs down and we don't have to build new watches. Our VIP status is invite only so it's pretty well vetted and I just reade with other VIP folks. Obviously in country only to avoid customs issues and always ship priority and always insured.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Texas is a big country and quite hot so probably hard on the leather....do you send the watches with or without the leather straps?

You rent a watch for 10 months at 400 a month. after 10 months you want to buy the watch. The watch is 10k. You get 50% equity which equals 2k towards the watch you pay out of your pocket the other 8k. Now you own the supposed 10k watch for 12k. By the way i have a very shiny bridge were i live called the Verrazano bridge. I have it for real cheap. You can buy the bridge from me or i can rent it to u for when you jump off of it for beign a sucker when u buy that 10k watch for 12k off that stupid company.

Edited by Tonyyammine

You rent a watch for 10 months at 400 a month. after 10 months you want to buy the watch. The watch is 10k. You get 50% equity which equals 2k towards the watch you pay out of your pocket the other 8k. Now you own the supposed 10k watch for 12k. By the way i have a very shiny bridge were i live called the Verrazano bridge. I have it for real cheap. You can buy the bridge from me or i can rent it to u for when you jump off of it for beign a sucker when u buy that 10k watch for 12k off that stupid company.

Yep, just like buying a used car off one of those seedy lots using their note.

You buy a cheap junker for 10k and end up paying 20K for it. Or rent to own refrigerators..same scam in a bigger scale.

Texas is a big country and quite hot so probably hard on the leather....do you send the watches with or without the leather straps?

For hygiene purposes the guys provide their own straps and I use my own.

Gives me a good reason to have a few lying around in different styles and sizes.

Since I'm a Pam guy we get obsessed over our straps ;)

For hygiene purposes the guys provide their own straps and I use my own.

Gives me a good reason to have a few lying around in different styles and sizes.

Since I'm a Pam guy we get obsessed over our straps ;)

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:  sounds great

Well, I can certainly appreciate the adversity to trying it, because for folks like me it rules out the likelihood of abuse... if it's not for you, that's ok.

Anyhow, for the record, I will never post something that requires payment unless I try it myself first and can actually recommend the service. And, since it worked... so I figured I'd share a little secret from my book... but I'm not going to spend the time trying to refute all of the hubbub bc it would be pointless, you have every right to be skeptical.

Think of it as the bagborroworsteal.com for us, but much lesser known.

Obviously going into it with as much skepticism as anyone, I figured if I used a cc and they shipped me a rep, it would be easy enough to back out. They're based in Chicago, and with a little Internet savvy you can find the owners. Low enough risk to give it a try.

The buying process was fairly straightforward; find a watch you want, select the timeframe you want it, and checkout.

The watches all range in price, presumably based on actual value or popularity. Some watches are available weekly, many are available monthly/quarterly.

I really wanted the 42mm Speedy pro, but they had rented all, so I ended up getting the 37mm.

They have a promo code for 20% off your first rental, so I opted for 3 mos.

37mm Speedy Pro - $95/mo or $245/3mo. I selected overnight shipping for ~$30 and saved roughly that with the promo.

Shortly after check out, I received an email from customer service thanking me for, and confirming the watch in the order. I was asked to submit a copy of my ID for verification. I was told I'd receive the watch next day via FedEx.

When the box came in, it was stamped with their logo, opened up to find a packing slip, invoice, and a lovely red box. Opened her up to find the magnificent moonie.

I doubled checked the chrono movement to make sure all was in proper order.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Not a bad idea. The only problem I see with it is that the way iit goes in this hobby, once you rent the gen, you'll be limited in your "choice" range for future trial watches - rented or not - thus freezing the number of watches you can "own,"  as the  cost of the gen(s) - let's say 4/8 K - will definitely deplete the  funds you spend today in the always generous rep options available in the market. .

Unless, of course, that  you have so many reps,  and you are so bored with them, that you feel you are ready for the real "one thing," that you know you want to keep for life.

I'd be worried about people renting these and replacing parts with after market parts...some of our parts are so good they wouldn't know so how can they prevent this kind of evil deed from happening. Crystals, bezels, crowns, buckles can be swapped if these ended up in the wrong hands. Plus theft I'm sure is a big one. I'm interested in how they protect them selves