When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg And Me

Pugwash

How did RWG change my life?

When I first joined the replica community, I came by way of TRC and joined RWG and RWI a short time afterwards. In the early days, I saw this forum described as stepping off the pavement into moving traffic and this echoed my sentiment perfectly.

158288-13095.jpg

However, at some point, you need to take the bullet by the horns, bite the bull, or whatever, and jump in. It took a while to get past the cliques and in-jokes that people brought with them from the failing old site, but once the barriers were broken down, I got to see that most of these people were as bewildered and as lost as I was.

"No offense but nothing in your photo indicates to me that you are qualified to put together a guide to photographing watches for anybody" - Kaner1, TRC, Feb 2006

I learned a lot. Here, more than any other forum, I learned the technical side of the hobby from reading The Zigmeister's work and following people like Ubiquitous, By-Tor, TTK, V and the moderators and admins of this place. I got into taking wristshots and posted my photo tutorials here and people actually read them and I started feeling like I was part of a community. Slowly but surely, I started posting more and more here, instead of restricting myself to the more sedate and easier to digest RWI. My confidence grew and the research got easier and easier.

158288-13096.png

People started recognising my posts and I realised that I had accumulated quite a lot of knowledge, thanks to my odd memory, and I just couldn't keep my views to myself. I've made a lot of friends and rubbed a few people up the wrong way as well. I've improved my skills as a photographer and helped a few people withb theirs as well. I've met some genuinely decent people, both online and in person, and had my eyes opened on a few things. I've seen watches I didn't know I'd love, and seen ones I knew I'd hate. I've clarified and distilled my tastes and surprised myself along the way. I've invented new words that are now part of the landscape and introduced long forgotten ones. I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of ... no, wait, that wasn't me. I've marvelled at FrankenTonas and giggled at blade-crowned Urinors. I discovered IWC on this very forum and ranted about Panerai to the same readers that are reading this. I've seen Alaska, China, New York, Hong Kong, Central Europe and more, all through the eyes of other RepHounds, without leaving my browser. I've won PoMs, lost arguments, challenged members and been challenged. I've designed T-Shirts, garden signs and Miss Understood in bondage and robots.

158288-13097.jpg

Most importantly, RWG has taught me a little about myself I would never otherwise have learned, and for that I am most grateful.

I've also learned the importance of brevity, and because of that, I'm sparing my dear readers more of my catharticism and ending here. :1a:

Well, we're patiently awaiting more posts about how much you love RWG and how it has change your life (usually for the worse, economically :lol:.) There is still time to write that PoM winning post.

As much as I'd love to breeze this PoM unchallenged, I would like to read other peoples' stories. :Jumpy:

So, how about everyone enters just after the deadline, eh?