When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage tutorial?

martijnp

Hi guys,

Lately i'm really into vintage watches, especially vintage Rolex. Now i'm wondering how you mod/edit/create a vintage look. I've looked at the forum and on internet but there is not a "tutorial/DIY" for vintage a watch.

I really want to make a vintage look on a Rolex, but I have no idea how i'm going to do that. So if you guy's know what to do or can give me an internet link, that would be very helpfull!

And if it's to difficult to do it myself, my hunt for a vintage rolex goes on  :partytime:

Thanks in advance!

The best tip I can give is build it new to start with and wear it hard, don't artificiality age it to start with you will always go to far and it will look artificial, once you have built it then you can re build it as your skills improve you will learn more but artificial aging always looks just that!

There's a fine line between well-used and abused. And it's really easy to go too far. Figure out first what you want... too much is usually not a good thing and it can't be undone. Coarse sand paper, rock tumblers, a Tupperware full of coins, they all give different results. Honestly the best results come from initial edge softening (I use coarse sandpaper) then wear the hell out of it and polish it a lot with your tshirt. Like I did with this one:

post-32-138059400771.jpg

Thanks guys! A while back I saw a (DIY) topic about bleaching the bezel. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. But for the bezel and dial would that be a good solution or is like Nanuq said sand paper a "better" way? 

@Nanuq that is a beauty my friend! How did you get the lume like that? 

I've got to agree with you B, its a very fine line between something that looks naturally aged and just right rather than 'too yellow' lume with a half destroyed dial. I'll be posting some additional pictures of Big Daz's handy work on Thursday when my 6538 returns from his Spa! A 1 day turn around build God Bless him. Better grab an appointment before he jets off on his travels.

DH

I agree with fxrandy.  Too many people go for the overly aged look and it never looks right.  You can put a case in a can of abusive articles and shake it up, but that's what the end result looks like too.  It looks artificial because the details are wrong - the lugs are still fat as are the crown guards, there are still bevels on the edges, etc.

Get a can of mag wheel polish available at any auto parts dept or store. I like Mother's.  Also get some super fine grit Emory cloth.  Then wear your watch doing every nasty job and project you can were you might normally think "oh, I should take off my watch or it'll get scratched".  Work on your vehicle, clean your furnace, build something, clear brush, dig a ditch, etc.  Then, when you are done, use the emory cloth to sand out the scratches and the mag wheel polish to buff it up.  Both of these are aggressive and you'll get the desired look without the artificial look in no time!

I'm not really into vintagising watches but I can certainly appreciate the work that goes into them.

Seeing the gen vintage watches on here and WUS and comparing them to the artificially aged watches I haven't seen any that look 100% (which will be because I haven't been taking much notice, not that they don't exist :) )

I can see that it's something that could take you a lifetime to perfect, I bet you could order 500 identical dials and come up with 500 different ways of ageing them, and most of them would look horrible and a few look great. As has been mentioned, it's not something you can undo so I'd practise on an old dead watch first. And second, and third :D

Good luck with it.

Enhanced patination (artificial aging & patina) is definitely more art than science, which is why there is no single book or guide (what works on 1 piece may not work on the next). Also, as others have suggested, correctly in my experience, most artificial aging goes way overboard, ending up with a franken that looks (suspiciously) like a caricature of a old watch. Spend some time reviewing alot of genuinely old watches & compare those to artificially aged reps & I think you will see what I mean.