When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can someone help me to fix it?

dvn

It is an ETA 2824 supposed to be fully serviced. Yes I tried but nothing happen so the watch is not running.

It came from an member vibramute64

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/163367-cr-rolex-datejust-16200-super-franken/

who purchased from wiseguy1481

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/160059-withdrawn-superfranken-rolex-datejust-16200-conus/

It looks like the Stem retainer screw has loosened or was not tight enough.

Simple fix!

You will need to remove the case back and using a eyeglass and very fine screwdriver, identify the stem retaining screw which will be near where the stem enters into the movement, I suggest you undo it 1/2 turn, insert the stem fully and tighten the screw making a note of how many turns you go past the original position you found it in. That way you will know the screw is tighter than before and thus hopefully not having it happen again. Carefully refit the caseback, however try pulling the stem and adjusting to check all is in order.

With the right tools it is a ten/fifteen minute job.

Regards

AJ

Don't try it if you're not sure. You may ruin the keyless which just compounds to the problem.

If this was just purchased, I believe the seller should be responsible for the fix. Unless it was already disclosed.

I would take the watch to a local watchmaker. It is an easy fix that can probably be done while you wait. While open, he can figure out why the stem fell out in the 1st place.

Otherwise, you will need to remove the caseback & press the stem retaining button (near to the stem opening) while inserting the stem

post-3175-0-38545000-1381429477_thumb.jp

You have to be careful because pressing too hard will dislodge/deform the locking components, causing additional (& more serious) problems.

Don't try it if you're not sure. You may ruin the keyless which just compounds to the problem. If this was just purchased, I believe the seller should be responsible for the fix. Unless it was already disclosed.

I appreciate your opinion, however, I beg to differ. I did not pull the stem out. When I wore the watch I had no problem with the stem or setting date/time. I can't disclose a problem it never had while in my possession.

Edited by vibramute64

Took a short drive to town but the watch repair person refused to work on rep because of company policy.

I did not put any blame on anyone. Just trying to see if can get help or to be helped.

Just posted some pictures what should I do?

Okay see the little hole/slot and its button?  A screwdriver fits in there.  Gently press the button with your screwdriver while you insert the stem.  You might have to pull it back out, turn it slightly, and try again.  It takes me many tries to get it, but eventually the stem goes all the way in.  Then release the button (remove the screwdriver) and give it a try.

I used to booger my keyless works EVERY TIME  I did this, so be prepared for that.  It's a bit of a pain to get it completely reinserted correctly, but keep at it.  You'll get it.

post-32-0-59010800-1381436151_thumb.jpg

Yeah I really struggle getting the stem back in too.  I always push harder and harder on the button, and that's not the problem.  Along the way I booger up the works under the button.

Try pulling out the stem, rotating it slightly, pushing the "button" and putting the stem in.  Do it several times... the last one I did, I had to try probably 10 - 15 times until it went in.  I even pushed a little (cough) harder than I should have.  :whistling:

I don't know HOW the watch pros do it right every time.

I hate to say it, but, from your description, it sounds like the locking components may have been bent/dislodged before you received the watch.

Your only option at this point is to remove the hands/dial & scope out the condition of the keyless works (I would recommend telephoning some local watchmakers & asking if they work on an ETA in a rep before making the trip).

As has been said, the problem is in the 'keyless works'. As Nanuk said, sometimes you can fiddle with the stem and gently pushing the button and it will re-seat itself. It is worth the effort to try it more than a few times. 

If that doesn't work, Sneed posted a tutorial on re-setting the keyless works, and as your luck has it, it is an ETA2824 in his tutorial. 

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/132392-eta-keyless-tutorial/?p=987221&hl=sneed12&fromsearch=1

As many as I have done, I still pull up sneed's thread and go step by step. It might look difficult at first, but it is not real hard to do. The worst thing that can happen is that you mess it up, and have to take the parts you removed and the movement to a watchsmith. And you plan on doing that anyway. You just might fix it yourself. Then that will lead you to what many of us have been led to, doing more of your own repairs.

As has been said, the problem is in the 'keyless works'. As Nanuk said, sometimes you can fiddle with the stem and gently pushing the button and it will re-seat itself. It is worth the effort to try it more than a few times.

If that doesn't work, Sneed posted a tutorial on re-setting the keyless works, and as your luck has it, it is an ETA2824 in his tutorial.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/132392-eta-keyless-tutorial/?p=987221&hl=sneed12&fromsearch=1

As many as I have done, I still pull up sneed's thread and go step by step. It might look difficult at first, but it is not real hard to do. The worst thing that can happen is that you mess it up, and have to take the parts you removed and the movement to a watchsmith. And you plan on doing that anyway. You just might fix it yourself. Then that will lead you to what many of us have been led to, doing more of your own repairs.

On a rolex though, he's gonna have to deal with the dwo, because you can't screw the cover plate for the time set gears back on with the overlay in place.

Lining dwo back up is a major pain, and I'm not sure I'd recommend the "push the spring in and slot the datewheel in with the cover in place" method to a newbie either because if you use just the littlest too much pressure doing that you end up mashing teeth on the calendar gear.

He's probably better off just sending off to someone and learning on spare mvmt

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

For people that work on watches, it IS a simple repair. However, trying to repair it yourself can complicate the repair. What has happened is, someone has disloged the set lever. The movement needs to come out so the repair can be done from the top. Takes around ten minutes. Look for another repair shop.

Found the Jeweler in downtown Boston  and he is very easy to deal with. He did not care whether it is a rep. To do it right so it won't happen agian in the future it is going to take some time so i dropped it off and come back at 3 pm to pick it up.

He loved the way the Tag 2824 movement fitted in the case with the movement holder. it is going to cost me $75 so it is not a good investment from the start.