When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Archer Watches, Handmade in Canada

icoopernicus

Hey guys, I just thought I would share this. I stumbled across a local watchmaker right in my backyard, making hand assembled watches in Canada. The movements are mostly ETA handwind 6498 that are disassembled and reassembled by the solo employee of Archer Watches in what I can only guess is a spare bedroom in his home. The cases come from Germany and the Crystals are Sapphire with double AR coating. Most of his models seem to go for around $1000CAD and are quite simple. Check it out, you might see something you like.

http://www.archerwatches.ca/index.html

post-44290-0-92048000-1381933416_thumb.j

post-44290-0-27368700-1381933440_thumb.j

post-44290-0-11990800-1381933468_thumb.j

I like the simplicity of the design, very nice.

$1,000CAD is actually fairly reasonable for a reworked ETA timepiece from a smaller watchmaker.

The maple leaf is a nice touch as well. All he needs is some marketing to get Kessel or someone similar for the Maple Leafs to wear his watch in a post NHL game interview and that should be his sales sorted for the foreseeable future.

The dial on the Sterling is apparently 925 Sterling Silver, I thought that was a pretty nice touch. I would personally make a couple of changes if it was me designing the dials but that's a very fair price for a nice looking watch. I'm thinking Panerai style strap swapping to create a personalized watch.

I think I'll be contacting him, might be possible to take a drive down and check out the shop in person, maybe place an order.

Reminds me of Kemmner's pieces on eBay (or something put togther using his parts which he also sells).

The 'customized' work done puts them in the same arena as Tourby's pieces, but they are way overpriced compared to the parts prices of what goes into them.

Kemmner - $472.64

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kemmner-Flieger-Typ-A-matt-mit-Unitas-6498-1-swiss-/300990858622?pt=DE_Kleidung_Schmuck_Accessoires_Uhren_Armbanduhren&hash=item461474057e

Aero 45 - $1,045.00

http://www.archerwatches.ca/aero45.html

Granted the movement is finished better, but over double the price?

Edited by tomhorn

The sum of the parts, for me to make one myself (without the customizing), would be about $400 

Movement : $200+

Case : $130+ on sale 

Dial : $20

Strap : $20 cheap, up to $100 done right, I think the strap is very important, I'm sure I'm not alone.

Then factor in the service that gets done on the movement <$100

The watches should probably sell fro around $700 unless he is running a watch building charity  ;), so overpriced, I think slightly at $1000. But considering the number of Quartz watches that can fetch up to $1000 with a $35 movement and a mineral crystal from a large scale watch company i think his pricing is still fair.