When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a good price for this Rolex?

Berto504

Thinking about purchasing this watch,would like to know if the price is right.....the price is 5000.00. The model number is 15233 and watch has 25 carats of diamonds. What is your estimate on value of this watch? Thanks!

post-60021-0-17902100-1387213491_thumb.j

post-60021-0-85075900-1387213508_thumb.j

post-60021-0-53427000-1387213525_thumb.j

Edited by Berto504

I was thinking the same thing! I searched the model number and dont see that model with date day anywhere. The guy has a appraisal and i will get it checked out b4 i purchase.Why will someone bling out a fake rolex,though?

Edited by Berto504

I was thinking the same thing! I searched the model number and dont see that model with date day anywhere. The guy has a appraisal and i will get it checked out b4 i purchase.Why will someone bling out a fake rolex,though?

I can't imagine that would ever happen .... ;)

Best to pop the caseback and check the movement and have an independant appraisal of the diamonds. My guess is they are fake too. The watch itself definitely is.

Only other plausible explanaition is the original owner didn't know it was fake before having it blinged out.

Regardless, the price alone screams fake. No way adding 25 carats of diamonds on a watch that would cost that without them is going to add up to a pricetag of $5,000 unless there is a divorce going on and one of the spouses is pi$$ed at the other.

Edited by tomhorn

Just talked to my friend, a well respected jeweler in Houston,Tx. He told me alot of times people mix parts.... which isn't a good thing because it hurts the value! He told me to get it opened up and see if it checks out

I can save you the time and effort by telling you it's fake. The lure of a great deal at a low price is what scammers count on to bait people in. If you can get a picture of the movement I'd love to see what it has in it. I'm guessing a dg2813.

Just talked to my friend, a well respected jeweler in Houston,Tx. He told me alot of times people mix parts.... which isn't a good thing because it hurts the value! He told me to get it opened up and see if it checks out

With these (and DateJusts) he is correct. If you want to bling one out, it's easier (and cheaper) to get an aftermarket dial and/or bezel where the diamonds have already been set, and just replace the originals. It can hurt the value (depending on the quality of the work) but one can always put the gen parts back in when it comes time to sell.

As I said before, cracking the caseback will tell you alot, but I'd also have the stones independantly appraised. They are probably fake too. Your jeweler friend should be able to help you sort it out.

Edited by tomhorn

Tom ,the big problem here is they didn't convert a regular DJ to a blinged out model with a diamond dial and bezel, they made it into a completely different watch, they made a DJ into a DD, and that's not easily convertible back to a DJ. 

I would run as fast as  I could from this one. No telling what movement is in the watch, but it's not a genuine Day/Date Rolex movement. First off, the Day/Date was only made in gold, except for a few +/- 6 that were made in SS, but they are rarer and more desirable than any Gold D/D. the bracelet on this one is a fake SS President bracelet with stones. I would doubt that they are genuine diamonds. You aren't going to find anything with 25 carats of genuine diamonds for 5K. As said before this was a TT Datejust case that someone used to build a Day/Date.

I don't care what the seller says about appraisals, they aren't worth the paper they are printed on unless they are from a certified appraiser. Some entity like GIA. Look at EBay, they sell jewelry all the time with inflated appraisals, that's a sucker hook!!  

Tom ,the big problem here is they didn't convert a regular DJ to a blinged out model with a diamond dial and bezel, they made it into a completely different watch, they made a DJ into a DD, and that's not easily convertible back to a DJ.

I wasn't speaking about this piece specifically, I was referencing the comment made by his jeweler friend.

You really should consider buying a Rolex that's reference correct in all aspects. Dial, case, movement all match the reference number. IMHO you will not be taken very serious wearing that watch. You will appear to be over conpensating while wearing a genuine appropriate watch will you gain you the respect you are seeking. Plus with that much "bling" you could draw the wrong kind of people to you. On this specific watch pictured I'm gonna agree with what everyone is saying. This is most likely a fake at that price point. Anyways good luck and I hope you stay away from that particular watch. A few more thousand and you can find a nice used 18038 president with diamond dial and it will be very nice.