When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got offered another Rolex 16610 - need some second opinions!

marrickvilleboy

Hey guys,

thanks for replies -

I got offered another watch yesterday!

Its a 16610 Submariner from 2006, I have been told. Comes with box and papers.

Question for you guys - and I know this isn't the best picture but wanted to get your thoughts. I asked him to show the watch at the current time to prove it exists.

However, I noticed it has a flat "s" which indicates a D-serial (which sets this to 2005 model)? 

Any experts can chime in here and let me know if this looks good?

Price is just under U$4.8K

IMG_3066_zps5a3743f1.jpg

$4,500 tops with no papers...must be authenticated at an AD and checked against AD database for stolen watches.As well, may need a service and refinishing depending on condition.If all checks out and it's been serviced/refinished..$4,500.00 is fair....receipts for service are essential.If it needs servicing...$4,000.00 is fair.

Wow....

I kind of agree with all of you guys but who is selling a M-serial 2008 submariner for $4K?

I have scoured TRF eveything is north of $5K with ones with box and papers selling for $6K...

i'm not sure if you guys are half dreaming regarding the "fair" price - seems unrealistic to be honest....

appreciate the replies of course!

Hey what's up man? Long time no see.

Why would you want one with the ugly engraved rehaut? I think it was a real downgrade to perfection that was 16610.

Go for an older example. That's my advice.

You still busy collecting now?

I haven't bought anything since 2010. Pretty happy with my gens & reps and no plans to buy anything new. At least not for now.

Cheers.

I just wholesaled the exact same watch with box and papers for 5k. 4.9k is really not a bad deal if the watch is in good shape.

Papers and box does not matter very much to the average dealer. Obviously the watch is no longer under warranty so papers wont do much for you.

Now to guys like us, papers & box might matter a little more, but honestly it doesnt really add much hard value to the watch.

I say buy it. Its a good investment at that price. Obviously see if you can get him down on the price a little. But I know of a hand full of dealers here in the dallas are that would give me 4.8-4.9k on that watch wothout box and papers right now.

Here is the M Serial with engraved rehaut that I just sold for 5k (the dealer I sold it to has it in his case for $6,100.00)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

post-58187-139018617812.jpg

I would prefer to have the box and papers, but unfortunalely most of the folks who buy Rolex watches are not collectors, they are not watch savvy, and they are only interested in the watch. Folks move around, wives girlfriends ,cleaning people clean out closets, things get lost or thrown away. Honestly back when  I started buying watches in the early 1970's, I didn't realize the importance of keeping the boxes and papers. Only after trading a submariner for a SeaDweller in the mid 70's, was  told by a dealer, that if  I was going to trade watches I needed to keep everything that came with the watch, from the box all the original paperwork including the sales receipt.

I believe that you can look at recent sales, and se where the prices are. As Alligoat said, that watch is definitely getting very close to needing a service, so that needs to figure in somewhat in the pricing. Prices keep going up so putting off buying is only going to mean a higher price later. You can always try to do a little bargaining with the seller, but unless he is desperate to sell, probably isn't going to budge much.

I also much prefer the older models with the non engraved rehaut. Any way you go, if you treat it nice, you can get your money back down the line if you decide to sell. Good luck

thanks for replies -

I got offered another watch yesterday!

Its a 16610 Submariner from 2006, I have been told. Comes with box and papers.

Question for you guys - and I know this isn't the best picture but wanted to get your thoughts. I asked him to show the watch at the current time to prove it exists.

However, I noticed it has a flat "s" which indicates a D-serial (which sets this to 2005 model)? 

Any experts can chime in here and let me know if this looks good?

Price is just under U$4.8K

IMG_3066_zps5a3743f1.jpg