When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are Reps Right For Me?

Marsellus

What is the goal of a rep? To resemble the gen at all costs? To look similar to the gen and but to also have good quality?

I'm wondering if a rep is right for me, since I am interested in quality item that also happens to be stylish, at an affordable price.  

I'm interested in seeing your thoughts on this, as well as your opinions on other reps (belt, suit, shoes, purses, etc.).

Not sure on the other stuff but rep watches are great (the super reps anyway), think about them this way,you can get 98% of the watch you want for a lot less than the Gen but...................a Gen will always be a Gen, don't confuse the two and you will love em  :inverted:   

You mentioned "quality" and if this is your goal then buy a gen. No reps will have great quality. You will have heart ache when things fall off, break, stop working etc. on reps. I have had all sorts of problems with reps but part of the fun is finding the solutions and fixes. It's like a game. So gens for you. 

Reps might be ok for you if you can accept the fact that they will lack that last little bit that separates them from the gen. Both in looks and fit/finish. Some of the various makers will get a rep that is maybe not perfect in the looks like gen but have a good fit/finish and some others will have it the other way around. If you can handle the roll of the dice on the rep ge then you'll be ok with reps.

I certainly cannot afford a Gen, and I question whether I ever will. I've been looking into getting a rep for myself a s a "gift" for graduating university.

The question, my good sir, ought to be: "Am I right for reps?". It takes a certain je ne sais quoi to appreciate and pull off reps. Stick around, read a lot, and hopefully you'll soon be able to answer the question for yourself.

Might I ask what you mean by pull it off? I am 22, do you perhaps mean I am not established enough to sport a "high-end" watch?

You mentioned "quality" and if this is your goal then buy a gen. No reps will have great quality. You will have heart ache when things fall off, break, stop working etc. on reps. I have had all sorts of problems with reps but part of the fun is finding the solutions and fixes. It's like a game. So gens for you. 

I died a little inside when you said they do not have great quality and "die" often :( When I think about getting a rep, my hope is that I can get a product better than an alternative gen product of the same price. I mean, it seems like a lot of effort and careful work goes into reps, surely there must some quality present. I do love to fix [censored] though.

I certainly cannot afford a Gen, and I question whether I ever will....

Might I ask what you mean by pull it off? I am 22, do you perhaps mean I am not established enough to sport a "high-end" watch?

Think that it would look out of place for you to be sporting a $10,000 watch given your previous statement?

In other words story of two guys both wearing a watch with "Rolex" on the dial.

1 - guy is wearing a nice suit, tie, drives a nice car, lives in a nice neighborhood and works in a respected professional type job (lawyer, physician, banker etc)

2 - guy is wearing average outfit, rides his bike to work because he can't afford a car or even the bus for that matter, lives in an apartment with three roommates and works in the mail room.

Which would you believe had a gen rolex vs the rep?

You can get a decent quality rep that will probably last several years or longer for about $3-500 but if you don't want people to wonder if it's a rep make sure you fit the picture. Otherwise for the same price you can probably get a "gen" for about the same price. Likely a Steinhart or similar, great quality for about the price of a rep.

Hi and welcome Marsellus. It is quite easy to answer Your question: Invest between 360 and 460 usd shipping included once for an automatic super-rep, wait about 3 weeks and You will know. You deserve it and You will be amazed. Save a fortune on not-bought-gens all Your life. Always have the watch others only dream off .... Buy a car, build a home:)))

You will have to look not only for good looks but overall quality of the rep.... and have some luck as the quality is not standardized. There are several that not only look but also "feel" 90% gen.

So You will need to look for a nice watch with hours-minute and seconds hand with date and for the time being exclude all other complications as chronographs, moonwatches, dual times etc. for this first purchase. Try to look for good lume as this will be an impressive feature and go.

What are the brands You are looking for?

I died a little inside when you said they do not have great quality and "die" often :( When I think about getting a rep, my hope is that I can get a product better than an alternative gen product of the same price. I mean, it seems like a lot of effort and careful work goes into reps, surely there must some quality present. I do love to fix [censored] though.

flyr says

Reps are not anything like the Gens they are attempting to copy, most of them are not even close in durability and reliability to gens in the $200-$400 price range they are competing in. 95% of a reps engineering went into how it looks not how it works. They come with basically no guarantee so the manufacturer has no reason to make them function better(in fact they are able sell more to replace the broken ones) This being said you may be lucky and get one that runs like a charm and keeps time well(I have a bunch). It's the luck of the draw (it also helps if you are handy at fixing tiny machines and have the tools to do it) They can be a lot of fun and a good rep is a thing to behold.  But like Nightwatch said the only way to find out is to take the plunge.(it's only money right?)

Good luck and welcome to the Forum

I certainly cannot afford a Gen, and I question whether I ever will. I've been looking into getting a rep for myself a s a "gift" for graduating university.

Look I'm just talking from experience, where I had lots of quality problems with reps. Not that gens won't have such problems but you probably can rely on warranty and that all watchmakers are willing to work on them. With reps, some watchmakers will not work on them and give you dirty look if you bring one to them. So it depends on your luck, and like I said if you are after quality then these reps will not cut it. The movements they use are usually not serviced or oiled properly, screws can come loose inside, clasp break. If you know of good watchmaker that is willing to work on reps then it's ok.

Ill admit, most of the watches I've seen on here and are beautiful. Some styles aren't to my liking, but I really enjoy the look of the Seamaster, the Sea Dweller and above all else, the Submariner. I really want to make a purchase, I should probably stick to $250 max for the beginning (which seems like I might be getting a subpar movement), but haven't set my mind yet, but I might have to go for the Seamaster, because I can't pull of a Rolex, and Omega is probably less well known (just my opinion; I had never heard of them before RWG).  I guess I just have to ask myself If I want a watch that will tell time forever, or a watch that looks damn awesome. I am going into professional school, so its only a matter of time before I would be able to sport a Rolex though.  :lol:

Edited by Marsellus

Just re-read the posts here and there are high quality reps too. If You need precision of time, shockproof movement and gen-like feeling this is one for You I can highly recommend in white or black. It´s got the same Swiss Ronda Quartz movement as the gen too with same functions of 1/10 seconds accuracy and 12 hours stop-timing. No problem pulling it off either. Looks gen and feels gen - just fine. Just posted this in another thread so it was available:)

tag1024IMG_1813-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

If you are a watch nut who loves designs of certain very expensive models and is willing to put extra money to have them modded to be more reliable then yes.

If you are a guy who just want one great looking watch who does not care about very specific out of reach luxury model then - no!

A friend of mine loves my reps but he is not a watch nut, he just wants a nice kick ass watch.

In the end I advised him on a gen within his budget.

That said, there definitely are few reps that I believe can stand in for a gen really well, making a gen not worth getting.

@marsellus the goal of a rep is to

wear a watch which looks 75-85% same as gen

If u want more than that you have two choice

1-buy a gen

2-franken

You cannot and should not be very picky.

There is a saying which states you stretch your leg as far as you can go

If you can buy a gen then by all means go ahead

If not buy a rep

If u r soo picky then franken it

That's it

Simple answer

And these new reps quality is light years ahead compared to even just a few years back

Be thankful you have TDs and somewhere like this which is full of information and people who are willing to help

As I said before if u can afford a gen go buy one. If not stick with reps. And don't be soo picky

"Can't seem to find this how much is it?"    

From Tusty:

TAG0198A - Aquaracer 300m SS/SS White Swiss Qtz 1/10 Chrono $268.00

MOVEMENT: Swiss Ronda Working Chronograph Quartz Movement, 1/10 Accuracy
CASE DIAMETER: 43mm
THICKNESS: 12.5mm 
DIAL COLOR: White Dial, Silver Sticks Markers
CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel 316F
BRACELET: Stainless Steel Bracelet With Single Fold Clasp 
FRONT GLASS: Sapphire Crystal
BACK GLASS: Close Caseback with Insignia and Serial Engraving
BEZEL: Uni-directional Rotating Diver bezel
HACK MOVEMENT: Yes 
CLASP TYPE: Deployant Clasp
DATE INDICATOR: At 12:00 (Set via crown, 31-01 Perpetual)

--------

One word if you want quality & affordability : Microbrands!

+1