When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A lot of gen have misalignment Date

Erict719

I was planning to redo my Dwo since of the misalignment after a dial change.

as I review pics of gen, I found that many of them have misalign date too. Most are low position, some are left just.

It happen most of SSD.

Any gen owner here have this issue?

I wonder how that happen since they use a real date wheel instead of overlay.

It can happen on a gen Rolex, but it's not that common. The datewheel is a wear item and is sometimes changed when serviced by Rolex. My gen 16800 came with a newer datewheel and the font was smaller than the original DW and it had closed 6s and 9s. Luckily I was able to find and NOS DW and have it installed- now I'm back to the larger font and open 6/9s. My 16800 is 30 yrs old and doing fine- testament to the fact that the gens are well built watches and when serviced regularly, they will last indefinitely.

The first thing to check is see if the dial center hole is centered on the hour wheel tube. The dial feet might be bent or not exactly in the right location and this will cause the dial center hole to be too far left, right, up, or down causing the date window to be off. Correct this if possible and go from there...

To correct:

The dial feet can usually be bent slightly to correct this but be careful not to break one off. If the dial feet are a tight fit in the movement plate you might not be able to bend them because if the dial feet had to be bent away from the 'straight up' position to center the date they will just bend back like they were. You might hog the holes out a bit with a file but then tightening the the dial screws or clamps might just move them the wrong way etc, etc. It's always something...

Some rolex date jumpers can be adjusted to center the date in the window (1525/75 etc) but 28xx Etas can not. The best way to adjust an Eta date jumper spring (p/n 2784 on 2836-2) is to slot the locating screw and dowel holes with a needle file but it is not a super easy job. You will also have to reshape the base and locating tab on the jumper spring where it mounts to the plate to allow it to be moved (the spring and base are all made in one piece).

I have also seen date wheels where the numbers are just right on some numbers and off on others...no fix except a new dw or live with it.

Something else...sometimes the date does not end up in exactly the same position in the window when using the quick set as when it changes over at midnight while running.

There is a lot to be said for watches without the date.  :pimp:

Thanks guys!

Now I need help to do my Dwo.

as if I use tc v3 Dwo, I need to make space between dial and Dwo. I see tc use tape on the movement holder ring and then put on the dial.

but isn't the ring separate from the movement?

Or is there screw to lock the ring to the movement before I put on the dial.

then how do I clip lock the dial fret

The sheet metal calendar spacer ring lightly snaps over the front of the movement and the tape was probably used to provide more space between the date wheel and dial. Eta 28xx have two small swivel clamps that turn in against the dial feet to hold the dial in place. Pressure from the case clamps/screws holds it all together and keeps the dial/movement pressed against the front of the case.

Tape aka 'dial dots' are also used when there are no dial feet on the dial.

If the dial moves back and forth when pulling the crown out to setting position and pushing it in to screw it down...the dial and/or movement are too loose in the case and the case clamps need to be bent to provide more forward pressure or need to be thicker as thin clamps will sometimes not provide enough forward pressure.

What works best is when the metal movement spacer is made so the case clamp touches the spacer and the outer end of the clamp fits into the groove or notch in the case and has tension on it when the clamp screws are tightened.

Another problem on many watches is that the dial is too small for the dial seat inside the case and there is room for the dial to slide around. A couple ways to overcome this is to have a precision fit between the movement spacer and the case and/or have a custom spacer made with a dial seat machined in the front of it like 'Stilty's Spacers' did.

Stilty had some spacers cnc machined to adapt Eta movements to various genuine/genuine spec rolex cases and some had the dial spacer made into the movement spacer. I made a few out of brass flat washers but it was time consuming because the od of the spacer has to be a precision fit in the case, the id of the spacer has to be a precision fit on the movement, it has to have the dial spacer made in it etc.

I just installed my TC DWO yesterday. It was my first one and it took a lot of patience. You have to place it and check alignment, and repeat. I got it lined up what I thought was perfect but a small group of dates were left justified. I took it all apart and split the difference by nudging the overlay over and nudging the dial over relative to the movement. Date is centered perfectly now.

One thing to think about is how you are going to attach the DWO to the DW. I used four small dots of that sticky putty. It worked great because it is never permanent and allows continuous adjustment but holds strong enough to prevent any slip during normal use. I know others have used slow drying silicon but you better get that one right the first time.

erugudy7.jpg

Just make sure you go in with lots of patience.

Please elaborate on what you mean by "mass produced," as that is a common misconception that is thrown around out there.  Are you referring to their process of producing the cases?  You know that each watch is assembled by hand, right?  So while there are components of the watch that are indeed produced using large scale manufacturing processes, the actual time piece itself is assembled by hand.  I'm not making that up.  You can go to their website and watch their library of videos documenting the entire process from producing the case at their own foundry all the way to installing the hands and regulating the movement.

A rolex is not mass produced?

My BS detector just went off.  :Jumpy:

A friendly AD gave me a VHS video made in the Aegler movement factory in the mid 1980s that showed production of the now discontinued rolex cal 3035 and most of it was automated down to a robot device placing the hands on the watch, then a drone aka 'technician' spinning the hands around to be sure the date flipped around 12. Oiling was done by tiny tubes that came down to the movement (mounted on an assembly pad where the train wheels were installed...by hand!) and automatically oiled 6 or 8 spots at a time. Train wheels and balances complete were put in the movement by hand of course and the dial was mounted by hand but not much more.

These things are not lovingly assembled by 'little old watchmakers'...they are spit out by the thousands by machines and people who must make a quota or they are kicked out on their ear. Just like any other mass manufacturing/assembly business in the real world.

I think maybe rolex has 'Gone Hollywood'...advertising ballyhoo movies for the masses. 

If Seiko can make a Seiko 5 and not touch it with a human hand (I have seen claims of this), then it stands to reason that a high profit, high tech, high production outfit like rolex will use the absolute least amount of human hand work possible, especially when building a brand new set of factories. How else are they going to crank out 800,000 'chronometers' a year plus all the cellini and tooter stuff? Not by hand I bet. I know there is some hand work, but not much and they are milking it for all it is worth (see the ballyhoo comment above).

They did not spend a $billion on new factories to fill them with live assembly drones...robots maybe.

Q..."Ah-Ha Mr Know-it-all, where is the proof? Where is the precious 1980s video now?"

A...Right here in my grubby little hands.

"It takes a year to make a rolex watch."

...but there is a rolex buyer born every minute.  :pimp:

LOL. :) We agree to disagree, though. You've read the same articles as I have, so you know there are writers in the watch world who have first hand experience contradicting what you wrote. Check this out and you'll see what I mean. The R&D budget you referenced is not for what you think it is, and yes they employ a sh*tload of watchmakers. Personally, I have never visited their headquarters so I cannot comment, but since this author was invited there to personally witness the production, I tend to believe him.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/10-things-know-rolex-makes-watches/

Yeah, my intense dislike for rolex the company (not the watch), leaked out on that one! Ha!

Anyway, I see hand work as a small percentage of overall production as my guess is most parts of the watches are machine made and most of the labor is confined to operations that can not be performed by robots...yet.

as shown, one is left justius, one is low position

I've been away for several months; good to know you're still posting the same old craziness.

Nothing wrong with either of those, BTW. The date disc and the top of the dial don't sit in the same plane, you do get a tiny parallax effect depending on the viewing angle.