When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking of selling all my watches for a Rolex Explorer

Big Dazza

Hey guys. As some might know I've already started selling a lot of my collection to fund a nice gen. I'm getting attracted more and more to the 36mm Explorer 14270 and would be leaning towards the version with the Tritium dial. 

I prefer the 36mm version due to the dial configuration but the thing I hate is the non lug hole case and also its hard to find a local one in a complete set.

Vintage 1016 Explorers are fantastic looking but unfortunately out of my price range.

What do you guys think of the 14270 and do you think its a good or bad choice?

post-24551-0-45521200-1394710463_thumb.j

Love the watch Big D if you can wear something that petite. As to selling all and going Gen I was thinking that last week (even went to ADs to try on) but couldn't do it, I love watches plural I would really like a high end gen because I love watches to give up all or most to get one ,can't do it.

Hmmm I'd probably end up keeping 2 low end cheap gens. 

After some quick searching there was an early version with lug holes! Only problem now is finding one with lug holes in a complete set with papers etc.

This might be the winner if I find one at a reasonable price :)

Well I'm unloading a few of my watches to fund my gen purchase, so I'd say there's nothing wrong with that. I also like the idea of multiple watches but I noticed that the more watches I have the more that I want..... :partytime: I figure that I'll sell down to about three watches and then work up to get a nice dress watch.

As far as the 14720 if you like it get it. However it seems like you have some reservations due to the lug holes. Spending that kind of money for something that your not in love with is silly in my mind. Thing with spending several thousand dollars is I expect perfection, heck I want perfection when I'm only spending a few hundred dollars. Maybe if one small thing bugs me I'd still go for it but if it's something bigger or more than one thing I'd say skip it. Get a rep and mod it to a fantasy of exactly what you want and save a bunch of cash. Could buy the 14720 and drill lug holes and be happy. But with a Rolex you have to wonder how much longer you can get parts to service it independently or send it to a RSC. And if you send it to a RSC with lug holes what are they going to do? Refuse to service it? Make you get a new mid case as part of the service? If lug holes are the deciding factor then I'd say skip it, you'd buy it and not be happy, there's no need to chase water down the drain....

Big D, as hard as it is, try to be patient.  Keep searching until you find exactly what you want.  Any kind of compromise tends to lead to less satisfaction. Have more experience with the situation you are in with classic cars.  Knew exactly what I wanted and was looking every day for that particular model.  At times have had patience to wait it out for the "one" which lead to great enjoyment, other times compromised and bought something close--inevitably the one i really wanted shows up after buying something close and I am stuck trying to sell off the one that was close to get the one I really wanted.  You know how that works take a loss trying to sell quick........Good luck on the hunt.

The long search begins

Isn't that alway the case with a "vintage" piece? We want it in decent condition so we have to search high and low... Have you considered using a broker to find it for you? They'd likely be able to scoop one out of thin air in the condition that you want.

Hmmm broker eh? Never used one before. Who's out there that offers this kind of service?

In the mood for a 14270 because of the heritage / cost ratio. For around £3000 the other options would be maybe a Tudor 7928. Only thing is there are so many franken 7928s out there that puts me off. 

Love the watch Big D if you can wear something that petite.

36mm, for a Rolex, unless you're a trend-conscious fashionista (as opposed to a gentleman with classic style), is not petite.

While I prefer more vintage models, there is nothing wrong with that Explorer. I say sate your desires.

36mm, for a Rolex, unless you're a trend-conscious fashionista (as opposed to a gentleman with classic style), is not petite.

While I prefer more vintage models, there is nothing wrong with that Explorer. I say sate your desires.

Thanks Freddy, I think 36mm is ok, not too small for modern wrists and with a more straight forward design of the datejusts / explorers they wear quite well. I think the plain bezel and no date or cyclops of the explorer helps make it wear bigger.

I actually have an old gen Seamaster 34mm and it wears just as big as a Datejust because of the dial size and the thin case profile.

Hmmm broker eh? Never used one before. Who's out there that offers this kind of service?

In the mood for a 14270 because of the heritage / cost ratio. For around £3000 the other options would be maybe a Tudor 7928. Only thing is there are so many franken 7928s out there that puts me off. 

The Tudor Black Bay is a fine Gen and it's in that price range as well if you are into that kind of thing. I love the 14270, I have the rep with no case holes and I wear it all the time. 36mm is a fine size for a watch and like you said, no-dates with smooth bezels seem to wear larger.

Mike on a bike, on 13 Mar 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:snapback.png

Love the watch Big D if you can wear something that petite.

"36mm, for a Rolex, unless you're a trend-conscious fashionista (as opposed to a gentleman with classic style), is not petite.

While I prefer more vintage models, there is nothing wrong with that Explorer. I say sate your desires."

I would love to wear that one prefer vintage Rolex also but even the 40mm get swallowed up by my 8.5in wrist, now a 36 is just a joke on me ( I own a collection of 36mm 1950-70 manual winds wish they wore well on me). As far as being a "gentlemen with classic style", a gentlemen would not infer that I am not, but a pompous person might. 

Big D, I would keep looking. One that you want will come your way sooner or later. I'm a firm believer in that if you don't like something when it's brand new to you and the "honeymoon" is in full bloom, it's not going to get any better. I just don't believe that watches will "grow on you" maybe they do for some folks but not for me. It's just like clothes, shoes, and just about everything else, if you don't really like it in the store when you try it on, it will definitely be a closet queen until you give it away, sell it or toss it in the Goodwill bin.

If you don't like non lughole Explorers, I would definitely wait for one that fits what you want.

As atated bellow, sometimes one would sell the gen to buy another gen.   Although I never thought of it until I did this six weeks ago.  I sold my gen 1016 so as to buy myself a MINI Cooper. I'm totally happy with my decision, even knowing that I may never have such a classic on my wrist again.

As atated bellow, sometimes one would sell the gen to buy another gen. Although I never thought of it until I did this six weeks ago. I sold my gen 1016 so as to buy myself a MINI Cooper. I'm totally happy with my decision, even knowing that I may never have such a classic on my wrist again.

But was it a gen Mini Cooper?

And as I was just taking a look at Steinharts once again as those are well built watches thought I might as well suggest these vintage looks at a reasonable price:

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-One-Vintage,817.html (available April onwards)

146267679O1Vintage_01.jpg