When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Sub Died/Franken 16613?

droptopman

Good morning all,

Like to get some thoughts from some of the members.  My TC Sub movement died after just 3 months :bangin:  I am seriously thinking about taking the TC case set and my old 16613 rep and making one franken 16613 out of the two watches.  The 16613 is over 10 years old with the solid gold bezel and bracelet and gen crown and a good old Swiss ETA that runs great; however, the case is not very good and crystal is off.  I was stupid and polished the bracelet and case a long time ago, but could easily do a brush and polish on the bracelet to bring it back to the original gen look.  We think we can fit the bracelet and bezel on the TC case and I have a good source for gen 16613 dial, crystal, and insert.  

Or do I just put an new Swiss ETA in the TC sub and keep my 16613 beater the way it is?????   

Couple pics of the old 16613

post-60288-0-53074800-1406224029_thumb.j

post-60288-0-69507900-1406224064_thumb.j

post-60288-0-76070000-1406224120_thumb.j

what do you think am I crazy?

Assuming the 16613 would be in your regular rotation, if the bracelet and bezel fit the TC case well enough, I'd go franken.

It's hard to find a quality TT rep bracelet these days, so it belongs on something better than just a "beater". You could either sell off the non-used TC parts, or find another movement and have a decent 16610 be your "beater".

Are you sure the movement is kaput?   I used a TC2824 recently and it stopped working after a few days and I was [censored].  But as it turned out, the hands were a little too close together because the lume on the hands I was using was applied really thick.   

Maybe take a close look to see that hands are not caught on each other.

db, I have had that happen before with the hands, but did not think to check it this time.  Over the last month it ran OK on the wrist but would stop running while on my winder.  Once I gave her a shake she would start up.  This morning gave her a shake and she would run for a few seconds then nothing.  Manually wound her and still nothing.  When I get home I will grab the loupe and take a look.

Thanks 

For the gold bezel to fit on the TC sub, it has to be gen like. 10 years ago the bezels weren't gen like on the reps.

Yes, that is one of my fears.  And a gen gold bezel assembly is crazy money.  Just go buy a gen for what the parts would cost.  It will only work if I can use the bracelet and bezel I have so that may be the starting point.  Maybe just pack it all up and send it to Matt to evaluate.  

Yes, that is one of my fears.  And a gen gold bezel assembly is crazy money.  Just go buy a gen for what the parts would cost.  It will only work if I can use the bracelet and bezel I have so that may be the starting point.  Maybe just pack it all up and send it to Matt to evaluate.  

try an aftermarket one? search ebay.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and the input.  TC is going to fix/replace the movement, so that is great.  Excellent service by TC :clap2:   I am evaluating just buying a TC case and case back and building a nice franken 16613 from scratch.  When I get some time this weekend I will mess with my old 11613 bracelet/bezel and my TC case to see if anything fits.     

Talk to Matt about the case choice for your 16613. I used a ST case for mine. Matt told me that he didn't particularly like those cases, but mine turned out great. Only problem they are sterile cases, no engraving at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talk to Matt about the case choice for your 16613. I used a ST case for mine. Matt told me that he didn't particularly like those cases, but mine turned out great. Only problem they are sterile cases, no engraving at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ST is no longer stocking those cases anyways.

Ok update: old tt bracelet fits. Popped right on TC case. Sel is not the best but acceptable for a 10+ year old watch. Now need to perform surgery to restore the bracelet back to polished gold and brushed SS. Spent a few minutes on one side and think with some time i can get it back. See first pic. Another question. Is TC case same size as old lug hole case? As in could I drill lug holes in TC case and turn this into older 80-90's model??????

Some pics.

ady8ymuj.jpg

hupyqu2u.jpg

a9uma5u8.jpg

7azyraze.jpg

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.