When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Re/luming a 1016 (gen) service dial

Lo'

Hello all,

Following this thread [http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/174211-im-trying-to-establish-a-period-correct-list-of-parts/], I have been reading all the material I could find on the subject of reluming dials, especially some very interesting things about JoeyB. Now I know that I am not going to put my hands on my 1016 service dial ever :nono:

I would therefore need the good services of one of the community's excellent modders. Can you recommend someone which will do lume and is not fully booked till 2033?

Personally, I would leave that dial alone. Reluming a gen dial is blasphemy IMO.

If you're in the states, you can try cwzy or pbdad.

Thanks for this opinion BC because it gives me the occasion of adding this fundamental info: This dial has never been lumed.

And unfortunatey no, I'm not in the USA but in the good ole EU. ;)

Edited by Lo'

I have used both PBdad and Cwazy for Rolex dials, and Vac did my 3717. All did excellent work.

Thanks Tom. I've heard lots about these mods. If I can't find anyone closer to where I live I'll surely get in touch with one of them.

Yep! salute-usa-flag.gif

Gotta love the USA... :)

If you're in Europe, rolex addict does amazing vintage lume work from the pics I've seen.

That's who I would use

Thanks again BC. I've been PM'ing the modder. Let's see if and when (and what) he answers back. :D

You might try to look up some of the threads on Rolexaddict's builds, get in touch with the guy who started the threads, give him your email and ask him to email RA and have him respond. Most folks here are pretty reluctant to give out email addresses, never know how the email address owner will react. I know back when Ziggy was doing work, he made it clear that if you gave out his information, you were off the list!! No problems with emailing him and giving him someone's email address, then it's up to him as to whether or not he responds.

You could check in with Akira in Germany. He's getting better and better at luming, and modding in general.

Hi M

Akira ' the first modder I have tried to reach since 99% of this watch is the fruit of his work. He replied that he's too busy elsewhere.

RA has his email addy posted on both rwi and rwg bz. I doubt he'd mind. I just don't remember it. :lol:

Should be fairly easy to find though.

Got it. Since I've just been sending him a PM on here I'm going to wait for a couple of say before emailing, just to avoid redundancy

morning gents,

So far RA has been squarely ignoring my PM and my email :lol: . Time to move on I guess...

Domi would be the next on my list but if I remember well he does not do lume; am I right?

I don't know about anyone else in europe. Can you recommend someone?

Edited by Lo'

I wish I had the nerve to try and do that by myself...

Get the lume you want. Both RA and I use a water base acrylic glow paint, and thin it a bit further with water. Then take a picture of your dial or off the net and print up a few. Then practice on them. I've used everything imaginable to apply, from toothpicks to oilers, and tiny artists brush. I'm too old and shaky to make a straight line. Fortunately, many of the old gen gilt dials I have seen were done by someone with the same affliction!  For me, a nib (the calligraphy pen) works best. It gives me the control and comfort I need at my advanced age! I use that on the 6 and 9 straight markers, and the coronet at 12. For the hour markers on gilt dials I use a round toothpick, or one of those skinny bamboo skewers for shish-ka-bobs, flatten the tip to about the size of the marker inside the surround, lightly dip in the lume and lightly touch as close to center as I can. A little practice makes almost a perfect circle every time. 

Be brave! If you think of something that makes sense to you, try it. If it works tell the rest of us! If it doesn't work tell us anyway so we don't!  

• Like 1

Get the lume you want. Both RA and I use a water base acrylic glow paint, and thin it a bit further with water. Then take a picture of your dial or off the net and print up a few. Then practice on them. I've used everything imaginable to apply, from toothpicks to oilers, and tiny artists brush. I'm too old and shaky to make a straight line. Fortunately, many of the old gen gilt dials I have seen were done by someone with the same affliction!  For me, a nib (the calligraphy pen) works best. It gives me the control and comfort I need at my advanced age! I use that on the 6 and 9 straight markers, and the coronet at 12. For the hour markers on gilt dials I use a round toothpick, or one of those skinny bamboo skewers for shish-ka-bobs, flatten the tip to about the size of the marker inside the surround, lightly dip in the lume and lightly touch as close to center as I can. A little practice makes almost a perfect circle every time. 

Be brave! If you think of something that makes sense to you, try it. If it works tell the rest of us! If it doesn't work tell us anyway so we don't!  

Hi Joey,

I have read... no! I have studied all the posts in which you explain your luming technique; but knowledge cannot replace practice and so far I have generally been unable to extract a movement from its case without breaking something.... I'm biased but I'll give your suggestions a thought. Thanks a lot for the tips and advices. :clap2: