When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another scammer in our midst?

danielv2000

Does he have your home address?

I would think he would need that to attempt to steal your identity.

It's a bit of an unknown who you should inform that someone may be trying to create a fake identity based on your details, the bank - tell them not to act on anyone trying to change any of your details. Paypal - I know if you tell them anything they'll just change your password which as this person doesn't know it will just inconvenience you, I don't think they bother to do anything else, completely relying on their automated systems.

Keep an eye on your email account(s) - if you cannot log onto it at any time that would be immediately very suspicious - I'd also change the email password every few days for a few weeks - if someone has cracked the password they may leave it as it is so you never know, and they just keep logging in and trying to intercept any "password reset" emails. Changing the password yourself would stop this.

Fraggle, already changed my PP email account password and blocked my PP account temporarily.

Also, the good news is that my PP account and that bank account are not linked (ie via Paypal). Either way, bank account has been closed.

The "gentleman" has yet to log in here or on RWI - at least under the username he used to correspond with me.

Just got a PM here and on RWI with an apology. I cannot validate his explanation but he claims to have been in a car accident and hospitalized.

He offered to complete the deal but as the great George W Bush once said, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me, you can't get fooled again!"

Appreciate you all having my back and banning him. I leave it your discretion if his story is plausible.

daniel no offense but could it be that you are being abit too paranoid here? maybe he simply just changed his mind? or wasnt comfortable with gift payment. people constantly change minds. just my thoughts

I don't think you can be overly paranoid when you have a very keen buyer asking for your private info and the moment it's supplied, he disappears. He was very quick on the communication up until he got the info. If you change your mind, great, say so. It's happened to me often and I send a PM " I think I will pass. Good luck with the sale" Takes 30 seconds and no need feeling bad as we are all behind a keyboard.

Either way, I've done all I can do, willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but he's on my personal "ban list".

The dial has been sold to a long-time member.

I believe that buyers put us in a real dilemma at times. You put up a watch,parts, strap, whatever in the sales forum. Someone PM's you "I'll take it. send me your PayPal info" And like in your case, the buyer suddenly disappears. Is he just someone who is trolling through the sales forums, wants  something, but can't afford it, wife will divorce him if he buys another watch, or just a 16 year old kid having fun at other folks expense. or is he a real scammer who is "Pfishing" for PayPal info hoping to crack into your account and either get the cash out, or use it as a backdoor into your bank accounts? Most of these transactions are built on trust, and unfortunately, there are a lot of untrustworthy folks out there who are aware of this and are more than happy to take advantage of out trusting relationships. It makes me a little uneasy, especially in light of all of the news about credit card information being stolen. The thieves and hackers are always trying to get something for nothing. We just don't want that "something" to be ours!!

• Like 1