When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ouch very disappointed !

Paulza

Went to the SA post office to pick up my Rollie from aTD (not cheap one!) today. This is what I found. I wish I could say that it was a complete surprise but it's not. Given the corruption in our postal service and the strikes over the last couple of months it would have given any thief that works there plenty of opportunity to do this. So I was kinda hoping that this would not happen. Of course the parcel 'value' is not even close to what I paid so probably a complete write off. I guess for me here this is going to be an ongoing hazard to collecting replicas :-( . Don't know how to avoid this in future except perhaps just buy from TD that ship DHL/Fedex etc. What has been your experience with TD's when this happens, ( not that I am expecting anything - certainly not any fault on there side)

post-66375-0-86706300-1419857961_thumb.j

post-66375-0-46842900-1419857990_thumb.j

South Africa I'm embarrassed to say. We have had ongoing problems with the state run postal service for awhile. For me it's not so much about the money just the disappointment of not receiving my replica and what will happen the next time. I am currently 1 from 2. One arrived, one stolen and have one on the way - by courier this time so hopefully will arrive safe.

Thanks for the support guys. Wanted to vent a bit and do feel a bit better - does help :-). Outside package was damaged in retrospect but had been retaped quite well. Did not even think to check the weight, but knew there was no watch as soon as I picked it up without opening. I suppose if I did not sign it would be sent back to the TD? What happens then?

If this is a risk where you are, ALWAYS take the parcel, open it and check the contents (briefly, there's no need for a half hour - using a loupe check) BEFORE signing.

If the postal worker tries to demand that you sign first, ignore them and insist you check the parcel and contents.

If they refuse to hand it over before signature, get the delivery drivers name, the registration of the delivery van, and then phone the postal company right there in front of the driver and complain like hell. Whatever you do, do not sign anything or accept anything, even if it ends up that you don't sign and don't get the parcel. You've already complained, so the postal worker can't forge the signature and pretend it was delivered, so it'll have to be returned to the TD who can resend it via DHL or similar.

That would suck, and take ages to get back to the TD and cost another $40 or so to be sent via DHL, but you'd still get the watch eventually.

That is what I would do, but Toro deals with these things all the time and is better placed than I am to advise, Toro, is this correct or is some other way a quicker way of resolving it?

Yep, thanks for the advice. Next time will be different - in fact probably only going to order by courier in future. Interestingly this is my second rep by post - the first with no issues. I receive a slip notification that the parcel is at my local post office awaiting collection. The tellers are behind counters. If I think about in retrospect the teller was very careful not to let me have the parcel before I signed. I was a bit excited at the time so did not even think to check first :-(. She probably felt that the parcel was empty when she collected it from the back.

"Don't know how to avoid this in future except perhaps just buy from TD that ship DHL/Fedex etc. What has been your experience with"

Fed ex is no guarantee you will get the watch. I bought a white dial Chrono-matic and had it shipped from China using Fed Ex in December a few years ago. All was fine, parcel hit Anchorage and was then scanned in at its arrival in Memphis hub. Then the parcel disappeared. Not a trace and Fed Ex while they supposedly check into it could never find it.

TimeShare

Edited by TmeShare

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All. A big punt goes to Tony from www.asian7750.com. He is offered to refund 50% of the value of the watch. This is an unbelievable gesture as the watch went 'missing' while in the custody of the post office. Certainly no fault of his own. I get the sense that Tony is not the biggest TD around which makes this even more impressive. What an honorable man! Can't recommend these guys highly enough. Cheers!

Hi All. A big punt goes to Tony from www.asian7750.com. He is offered to refund 50% of the value of the watch. This is an unbelievable gesture as the watch went 'missing' while in the custody of the post office. Certainly no fault of his own. I get the sense that Tony is not the biggest TD around which makes this even more impressive. What an honorable man! Can't recommend these guys highly enough. Cheers!

I've already dealt with him a couple of times: good guy indeed. And when he does his "crazy sales" the pieces he has with huge discounts are great!