When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sometime Homage/Look a like watches are the best choice

Guest kingfrog

As far as discussions over here go... I remember a time when an in depth discussion about certain topics over here would usually be rapidly followed by "authoritative" articles on the "bright side" on the very same models, or subjects with nearly similar talking points.

I remember a couple such discussions in particular when the new models had been out for a little while with the 'new and improved', tacky as hell, engraved crystal f-l-a-n-g-e was the focus... The Gen guys were all about "why are the retarded fake guys making up words like réhaut?

And around the same time where Zig was doing a service on a special, rare old milgauss, doing the slow reveal and 'does anyone know' trivia thing with the pics where he eventually concluded that I was the only one who had ever seen a vintage milgauss because of the details I knew (me having the advantage of actually owning one before) and it wasn't but a few weeks that focus shifted from the green crystal and engraving on the new version, to articles about the original with all the details (previously almost lost to history through obscurity) we had been playfully discussing over here.

The noobs around here always remind me of the gen side, flash over substance, gotta have the latest, etc... Just without the cash of the gen side. It is easy to make a target of them, but their approach to watches is all about style just like the majority of the 'real' owners.

The more that they stick around here, the more they seem to learn, and mature.

It's always a shame when some can't seem to see past the veneer which is simply a reflection of the rest of the world at large.

* why is flan-ge censored?

Edited by POTR
  • Like 1

I remember reading somewhere that the SS Sub costs somewhere like 1500 usd to produce-including movement-it's SS for god's sake. I understand vintage and the collectibility of their rarer pieces, but for the most part it the margin is huge on gens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why you often see 3135 movement's for sale on eBay and elsewhere for $2,000.... where'd the other $8,000 to $10,000 go?????

• Like 1

Guest kingfrog

Absolutely.

The the difference between this side and that side often comes down to the need to be seen as conspicuously consuming over there, over here we do more preservation work than Rolex ever did themselves.

Who is a big fan of Rolex service policy?

Oh, we can't service that 6541 unless we replace that irreplaceable dial, hand set and bezel with something new that doesn't really look right and ruins the collector value of your 57 year old watch we don't make parts for anymore.

If you cannot play with the big boys You buy fake watches and rationalize that they are better and oh yeah you really DON'T NEED the trademarks and names of the genuine watches on your fake because you do not subscribe to the notion of "conspicuous consumption" ......RIGHT. DO you realize how silly that sounds?

you wear a phony $400 watch with a $10,000 watch's trademark on it and you don't think that is conspicuous consumption.....Its the WORST KIND You are projecting an image you cannot afford and won't play in the big boys sandbox because you don't think its worth it.......but it is worth it to by a Chinese counterfeit to make sure people see the name brand you flash around....

Otherwise why not just buy the great homages? You want the NAME and LOGO....You NEED the name and Logo....You cannot afford the name and logo...so you claim counterfeit watch making is a "hobby"   NO unmmmmm Its a crime in China and the US.

Guest kingfrog

That's why you often see 3135 movement's for sale on eBay and elsewhere for $2,000.... where'd the other $8,000 to $10,000 go?????

So Don't buy one.........But yet the name has value to you because you would not buy a homage Instead of pending $400 on a great homage , you choose to blow $400 for a counterfeit watch....Because you need to float the name brand around and hopefully convince people you could afford the waste of money Genuine watch...... $3000 suit and Phony watch.....What's wrong with this picture?

I stopped wearing fakes because who wants to tell someone they are a fake person wearing a fake watch "because the real thing costs to much" and they are smart for buying a fake.....  Only people who wear counterfeit watches accept each other, The rest of the population will just chuckle. Unless they need to project and image they cannot afford , Then they are your buddy.

Wearing a fake watch= Bad Hair piece.

Guest kingfrog

POTR, I had a very refreshing conversation over on WUS with some gen owners who admitted the movements in their "Swiss" watches, or their components, likely came from the same factories that supply movements for reps. To be "Swiss made" often means a few parts were added to the base ébauche in a Swiss facility. This certainly blurs the line between rep and gen, eh?

Post a link to that discussion on WUS......I don't believe you. They do not allow counterfeit  discussions.....OH it was all PM...UM Right,

Edited by kingfrog

Guest kingfrog

Advertising and it is working because no watch is faked more than a Rolex because there are a whole lot of people who want to be seen rocking a Rolex and cannot freely afford or justify the real thing so they buy counterfeit goods.....and play pretend......... I don't know how people don't feel a little dirty and shifty wearing a fake watch. I did........they rationalize it as an honorable "hobby"

How many of you will wear and display your watches to Basil? It's not brain surgury to copy and steal someone's earned  trademark. It's criminal

Edited by kingfrog

Guest kingfrog

And is Parnis still the Canal St version of "private label?"

IT is far more honorable buying a Parnis of a similar watch one might like to buy the gen of than a fake for three times the cost. 

Guys, we are wasting our breath and time answering this idiot. no matter what anyone says, he has some smart ass retort. I feel sure that I have way more genuine watches in my watch boxes than this fool has or ever will have. I probably have more good quality homage watches than he has or ever will have, and AFA replicas, counterfeits, fakes, whatever you chose to call them, I have a bunch, I wear them everywhere, and I'm certainly  not trying to be anyone that I'm not. I'm pretty damn comfortable in my own skin, I'm successful and I don't really care what some internet troll  thinks. :troll2vk:

The way I really feel about people like you, you are a waste to the human race, obviously someone who has sidled through life making nary a contribution and now sitting at  home bored to tears, not enough money to get out and really enjoy life, and because you are a miserable  fragment of protoplasm, you are only happy when you are trying your feeble best to make everyone else miserable as well. Well good luck, troll on. I'm sure you get some perverse pleasure from "calling out" all of  us poor fake people and since this is probably the only entertainment you can afford, rave on. I believe that in your peas size brain you have cast this concept that everyone who wears these horrid fake watches is some poor miserable soul, no money, driving a rusted out ten year old Honda Civic and wearing a fake Rolex Submariner or some pimply faced kid working as a delivery driver for Domino's and sporting a counterfeit AP ROO LeBron James!! Well sir, I hate to burst your bubble, but your misconceptions are as far from factual as they could possibly be. Most of the folks that I know here who are regular contributors to this forum are successful people who have a very comfortable lifestyle, and can afford the fake watches they sport in their genuine form., and not just one, but a watch box full of them.

So, if you want to spend the rest of your life here making derisive remarks about the fake watches and fake people who frequent this and other rep forums, feel free. I do believe that very soon one of two things will happen, either the rest of us will tire of your stupid inane remarks and let your threads die, which is what threads do when people refuse to post in them, or the mods will tire of your abusive rhetoric and send you on your way along with a note to the other forum's mods that should you happen by, don't waste time, ban you straightaway and be done with another "useful idiot" :ban:

• Like 2

If you cannot play with the big boys You buy fake watches and rationalize that they are better and oh yeah you really DON'T NEED the trademarks and names of the genuine watches on your fake because you do not subscribe to the notion of "conspicuous consumption" ......RIGHT. DO you realize how silly that sounds?

you wear a phony $400 watch with a $10,000 watch's trademark on it and you don't think that is conspicuous consumption.....Its the WORST KIND You are projecting an image you cannot afford and won't play in the big boys sandbox because you don't think its worth it.......but it is worth it to by a Chinese counterfeit to make sure people see the name brand you flash around....

Otherwise why not just buy the great homages? You want the NAME and LOGO....You NEED the name and Logo....You cannot afford the name and logo...so you claim counterfeit watch making is a "hobby" NO unmmmmm Its a crime in China and the US.

Sorry son, but I for one, am glad you never were successful in breeding. You are the tike kicking sand on the beach of life.

No one around here rationalizes that fake watches are better than real around here, it's simply you who can't be anything without a label.

My daily beater is a $300, 7 year old Invicta. I don't own a single replica at the moment, and haven't for at least 6 years. I have owned plenty of unique vintage time pieces, most of which you'd never comprehend, all rather unique, and all rebuilt and serviced by me, before I started having health issues.

No one thinks much of most "ugly," too small, old watches in the consumer society of which you need to prove your worth, they are generally dismissed with "if it's old, they must not be able to afford a new one."

My 100 year old, original tropic cased Mimo fits that bill just perfectly. It's case construction is Rolex, the movement is Gerard Perregaux, and produced by Mimo, an international producer of watches in precious metals, which later bought GP outright.

It's old, it's "ugly", it's rare as hen's teeth, and a twin cousin to the upstart RWCs first waterproof, tropic watch.

99.9% of people have never heard of Mimo, know the history, or will recognize that the small, ugly, old watch on my wrist is the great uncle (with the real money) of that bloated wanna be one of the big kids, entry level poseur watch on your wrist.

• Like 1

So Don't buy one.........But yet the name has value to you because you would not buy a homage Instead of pending $400 on a great homage , you choose to blow $400 for a counterfeit watch....Because you need to float the name brand around and hopefully convince people you could afford the waste of money Genuine watch...... $3000 suit and Phony watch.....What's wrong with this picture?

I stopped wearing fakes because who wants to tell someone they are a fake person wearing a fake watch "because the real thing costs to much" and they are smart for buying a fake..... Only people who wear counterfeit watches accept each other, The rest of the population will just chuckle. Unless they need to project and image they cannot afford , Then they are your buddy.

Wearing a fake watch= Bad Hair piece.

You're the one using the value of a cheap watch to justify your existence, not us.

Ever wonder what The Big Boys in your preferred sandbox, with their collections of $50,000+ watches, really think about you and your one used, cheap, tool watch?

Post a link to that discussion on WUS......I don't believe you. They do not allow counterfeit discussions.....OH it was all PM...UM Right,

Nuqi's collection was well into high six figures ages ago... with inflation since, I am sure just one of his watches in particular could buy your McMansion with change left over.

IT is far more honorable buying a Parnis of a similar watch one might like to buy the gen of than a fake for three times the cost.

Dude. Almost all of those homage brands are "rep" watches... all it takes is a dial swap, a polish. That's why most of them started.

You really are behind the curve, aren't you?