When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sometime Homage/Look a like watches are the best choice

Guest kingfrog

Guest kingfrog

I was looking for a Rep of the Breitling blue face avenger Chrono when I read the 7750 movements are hit and  miss and have specific "rules" not to bust the movement. At over $350 I was not going to roll the dice. So I Then I was looking for a gen but decided I did not want o spend thousands on another watch (one is enough) So I found this which looks like the Breitling I wanted. CITIZEN BL5370-51L ECO-DRIVE STAINLESS STEEL

Not a dead ringer but close enough in style for $230 Pus a $29 Blue Leather deployment band. $230 does not even buy me a Bretiling REP of a watch like this. Sometimes one has to choose quality over Brand trade marking. I think having one great rep and the best value (Rolex) is enough. Although I do like my Hulblot Rep for $160. Have not found a look a like in the Citizen/Seiko basket that looks close

post-68669-0-39208300-1420653839_thumb.j

Edited by kingfrog

Honestly, I have to agree - to some degree, in the fight for trying to get something right on you can wind up with headache and heartache unless you engage those that are masters in the craft... 

I think probably the best vintage sub-homage I've seen, feel free to disagree, is the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage

I will be buying one of these!

post-67250-0-51240300-1420657497_thumb.j

post-67250-0-35246800-1420657505_thumb.j

• Like 3

If you like the watch and are only having a few reps then you could actually get into this hobby and buy the rep and when it goes wrong have it fitted with an ETA 7750. That would solve your problems and give you the watch that you desire.

At the moment you're unhappily sitting on the rep fence. Maybe you'd be better off on a homage forum?

• Like 2

Guest kingfrog

If you like the watch and are only having a few reps then you could actually get into this hobby and buy the rep and when it goes wrong have it fitted with an ETA 7750. That would solve your problems and give you the watch that you desire.

At the moment you're unhappily sitting on the rep fence. Maybe you'd be better off on a homage forum?

I am on a couple Homage forums. But two watches I wanted gens of were the Breit and Rolex. I am looking for a Hublot Homage as I love the rep. 

Guest kingfrog

Honestly, I have to agree - to some degree, in the fight for trying to get something right on you can wind up with headache and heartache unless you engage those that are masters in the craft... 

I think probably the best vintage sub-homage I've seen, feel free to disagree, is the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage

I think Steinhardt makes the best reps of many brands. I wanted a gen Rolex and a gen Breitling and am still hoping for the Breitling to show up at Costco. They have the B01s but I don't want that complicated Chrono I will never use. My local AD offered 25% off but on watches I did not like. 

If I wanted a older Vintage Sub and did not want to pay for a gen I would buy that Steinhart in a NY second before dropping thousands on an old Rolex.. Its a beauty and no worries about quality there. I bought the Citizen because it was only $238. I have not given up on a gen Breit yet,  

That is a beauty and you don;t have to make excuses for that watch. Only a handful of the more snooty Rolex owners  hate Homages. Most like them and have them.

Edited by kingfrog

I'm debating selling mine. I'm unsure because I like it and it keeps the best time out of my three watches. But I kind of want a Gevril Tribeca.

I was looking for a Rep of the Breitling blue face avenger Chrono when I read the 7750 movements are hit and  miss and have specific "rules" not to bust the movement. At over $350 I was not going to roll the dice. So I Then I was looking for a gen but decided I did not want o spend thousands on another watch (one is enough) So I found this which looks like the Breitling I wanted. CITIZEN BL5370-51L ECO-DRIVE STAINLESS STEEL

Not a dead ringer but close enough in style for $230 Pus a $29 Blue Leather deployment band. $230 does not even buy me a Bretiling REP of a watch like this. Sometimes one has to choose quality over Brand trade marking. I think having one great rep and the best value (Rolex) is enough. Although I do like my Hulblot Rep for $160. Have not found a look a like in the Citizen/Seiko basket that looks close

The problem with even comparing the Eco-drive to a breitling rep is that the movements are in completely different fields and comparing a glorified quartz movement to a mechanical movement is completely apples and oranges.

Steinhart doesnt make reps.. they make homages.

They do use recently invented words like the rep community though, and their copy skills are at the old '80s 'quartz sub' end of the scale.

However, their tragically over-sized vintage sub is better than their DSSD knockoff.

Instead of paying $10.000 for a genuine 1/2 real swiss watch maybe worth some $2.000 without the marketing and mark-up, it´s really better for the average guy to start looking into alternatives. Here are some more suggestions for smaller pockets to look into.

Maybe the times when gen watches start reflecting their real value, like that other product called oil (fair market value $35-$42/barrel) are not too far away, so there´s still some hope left to someday get the real deal at a fair price.

brietling-navitimer-01-vs-sinn-903-st-ge

want-this-get-this-panerai-magrette-gear

iwc-flieger-chronograph-alpina-startimer

The Stowa Antea for some Euro 830,- below is "the real thing" already produced by Stowa since 1919 and rightfully they won the lawsuit instated by the almighty Swatch Group regarding the Nomos Tangente which goes for the double.

Antea_KS_logoneu_croco_lbsc.jpg

I'm just not that much into buying homage watches. Yesterday during the GTG I spoke with a homage builder/collector who has over 100 homage builds. But he said the building part is the most fun of it, and if a watch is finished he starts a new project.

So in my opinion, i wouldn't buy a homage unless I can build it myself.

I am not getting why all these brands call with specific names movements that are just ETA with a different surface finiture...

The Steinhart ST 5 looks to be based on the 2824, but the "anthracite galvanized" finish is definitely unique, and was done by some other Swiss company, probably with Chinese manufacture and final assembly in Switzerland.

I would guess the same on assembly. My Ocean One Vintage runs at about +5sec/day out of the box.

Yes, I'm a bigger fan of homage rather than reps. IMO homage watches like Steinhart, dievas, prs, mkii, etc are honest fakes rather than reps which just seem to be fake fakes if that makes any sense. I usually hang on to my homage watches but I can't keep a rep more than a month or so, just bugs me.

Guest kingfrog

Yes, I'm a bigger fan of homage rather than reps. IMO homage watches like Steinhart, dievas, prs, mkii, etc are honest fakes rather than reps which just seem to be fake fakes if that makes any sense. I usually hang on to my homage watches but I can't keep a rep more than a month or so, just bugs me.

Yep Me too. I tried the rep thing. Felt "dirty" and fake no matter how much it cost. I prefer the Homage at least it is not trying to be anything but what it is and s accepted conversation in legitimate serious  watch Forums like WatchUseek and Rolex from both of which do not allow discussion of counterfeit goods. No one who plays in this muddy sandbox is welcome there to discuss their "hobby".

I am selling a Citizen on Ebay and was asked if it was a knockoff. I could not believe anyone would make a knock off a $300 watch. So I took it to two jewelers and ran the serial number past Citizen USA. All said there was no evidence it was anything but an Echo Drive. Even the movement was the same as other Echo Drives. 

But where a buck can be made the Chinese will make a counterfeit and there are no shortage of those who want to project a false image.. Hell I am not even wealthy by some standards and I won't wear anything but a Genuine going forward. I thought I would like the replica world. But at the end of the day, Fake people wear fake watches, 

Yeah I will order a fake watch to test drive before buying the real thing as I have done. But I would not wear one and have to admit it's fake if someone asks or try to pull of the "yeah it's real" line either.  I have evolved and seen the light. People  I know who can afford the real thing and have $50K cars and $3000 suits would NEVER wear a $300 fake watch. It is too visual and  makes too loud a statement and who wants to claim they are wearing a fake Rolex or AP?  and WHY? If I can afford $3000 suits I can afford a $10K watch,

Since you obviously do not wish to invest any time in really knowing the hobby, or to get your hands dirty, it is probably best you don't continue your tenuous membership within the community to avoid having your true nature revealed.

You've not evolved... and obviously know less every time you dip your toe.

Guest kingfrog

Since you obviously do not wish to invest any time in really knowing the hobby, or to get your hands dirty, it is probably best you don't continue your tenuous membership within the community to avoid having your true nature revealed.

You've not evolved... and obviously know less every time you dip your toe.

I have to laugh every time I read the word "hobby" or worse "invest" LOL    Since when is sloshing around with counterfeit products a "hobby" IT is what it is. Fake as hell and nothing to be proud of. They can ban me if they choose. I don't miss the other forums who did so, I doubt I will miss this one. The more I get involved with the real hobby on real forums dealing with genuine watches whether Rolex, Patek or Timex, the lower on the scale of respect these hideout places become.  Fake people do wear fake watches, indeed/.

"Hey look at me I am a multi-millionaire with $3000 suits rocking a $400 Patek".......Do you even know how ridiculous that sounds?

I know enough to know this is not a hobby but an exercise  in " Hey look at me I can afford an AP Royal Oak"  

"Oh but it's fake".....

"Well silly  That's the "hobby" part!!! Ooh Just Look how good they can make my  counterfeit watch and ...yeah I paid $700 for it."....

Who would not think anyone who says (or does) that is not  a complete whack job?    

Except others who are in the mud with them.

Or those gleefully taking your money whether its the websites offering "DIAMOND memberships"  for your money or the TDs. Its all about taking your money for a false image you want to project..... Sad really. Unless you are on the sell side.  I am not the rube  here. I learned early not to throw good money after bad crap. Earlier than most, Some will never learn.....The Chinese hope not ...

you

Edited by kingfrog

Yes.

So intelligent that you invent new ways to [censored] up quotes.

So observant that the only thing you see are overpriced $800 reps that are crap, and crappier $200 reps what you will choose to "test drive" to decide if you like a gen.

How about a look under the hood of your definitely not a base model 2006 Vette?

Or a pic of you actually riding your Harley, not parked in 'your' garage?

I love how you managed to use the same name on the gen forums AND a rep forum, and suppose that there are not other people that are on all the same, already talking about you.

There is more horological knowledge concentrated around here than anywhere else on the planet outside of Switzerland and Lilitz. And the gen owner club members come here to learn what they don't know, if they are wise.

But you'll never know who are seated highly in both worlds,

who might be at Basel every year, which watchmakers that work in the industry build their own homage watches, and how many of those cottage homage companies (and bespoke strap makers) got started right in this neighborhood of RWG.

I can't remember how many VIP subscriptions I paid for for promising noobs to help elevate them on their ways, I am saddened at the loss of members that have disappeared (like myself), and was humbled many years ago when the entire rep (and gen) forum community came together to support me when I had an incredible crisis.

Donations came from all over the planet, even from under the ocean, and even from almost every Trusted Dealer throughout the forums. All these people which you call fake.

You are a [censored] idiot.

Edited by POTR