When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Seized By Customs!

5th_group

Hey all! After many years in the Rep Game, I finally got pinched by customs....the rep was an upper end Richard Mille. I received a letter from The Department Of Homeland Security (Customs) stating illegal import of counterfeit goods Yada Yada. I'm not sure if there is a connection, but I just moved to a new address. In short, I can stomach losing the watch; but my real concern is; am I now on a watch list?

( Blacklist)? Anybody have any advice? Similar Experience? Anyway to Recover The Watch?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Best, 5th

Well....I have read a lot of similar posts online regarding customs seizures of rep watches. The majority of the post regard shipment of multiple pieces. I don't do a lot of overseas purchases, In fact, it was my only out of the Conus purchase in 2014.

Certainly not enough to catch anybody's attention. Lots of questions.......Anyway, again if anyone has any advice, please chime in!!!

Talked to a friend who used to work In customs In both netherlands and US and yes they Got lists of people alot say they dont because to much paperwork but its all computer work

Its Called a High risk list homeland Security and others use it to check people Like if someone ships drugs by mail they Can check if that adress and name have been used before so a adress Can be redflagged but

Will it affect your future buys who knows i seen some people talk about alot of people when caught they keep getting caught

But Also some seem never to have Any problems again yet

Should I call the number on the letter and inquire? I don't want to be on any list that includes individuals caught purchasing narcotics

Offshore!!!! Of course, I have no idea what the hell they are talking about!!! In this case: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter

Accusations"!!!!

I'm not sure about items coming through the mail and being seized. I doubt that they are going to keep up with you over one watch. I do think that when you fly, if they find "stuff" that isn't allowed when coming through customs, they note it in their computer. Several years ago, my wife was coming back from Europe through JFK, and had some home cured pork products that were not sealed in a package from some known company. Of course the Dept of Agriculture has dogs that are trained to sniff out plant and animal products. She got busted by a Beagle!! They confiscated the Pork, plus a lecture. Long story short, for the next two years, she got checked every time she went through customs. She didn't have anything at all that remotely resembled banned substances, but it was a real PINA for her, and always made her have to run like crazy to get her connecting flight. After those checks, for the past 3-4 years, she hasn't gotten a second look. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I it's hard to believe that she would have been checked 4 or 5 times unless her name was flagged. 

If it were me, I believe I would stick to M2M sales for a while. Possibly if you order another, after a break to let things cool off, maybe use a different address for the next shipment. Just don't know, it's such a crap shoot with customs, and I don't think that anyone except those who happen to work in customs know the whole story.

Hey all! After many years in the Rep Game, I finally got pinched by customs....the rep was an upper end Richard Mille. I received a letter from The Department Of Homeland Security (Customs) stating illegal import of counterfeit goods Yada Yada. I'm not sure if there is a connection, but I just moved to a new address. In short, I can stomach losing the watch; but my real concern is; am I now on a watch list?

( Blacklist)? Anybody have any advice? Similar Experience? Anyway to Recover The Watch?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Best, 5th

Did the letter require you to do anything like report in person, make a declaration or anything?

If not, then do not respond to it... simply ignore. In most cases, such cases are routine and the watch will be held and I do not think that it would have dire ramifications. You should of course categorically deny all connections with this watch, that your friend in China sent it to you as a gift and you have no knowledge of it, that there was a mistake in your order, or whatever excuse you could concoct. Like you mentioned, it is just a single watch, and not an entire pallet of watches. The customs would not pay too much attention to you or the watch, is my guess. Also, I doubt that you would be on any "list" at all. Reason being, there could be any number of reasons that the watch was shipped to your address. Unless facts are established, I seriously doubt that you will get into any trouble at all over this. 

I would like to think that the Homeland Security has more serious concerns to see to than this (and many many other) minor replica purchase in the country. :)

You should also inform the TD involved regarding this customs confiscation and see if they declared it as anything out of the ordinary.  

This topic has been covered on RWG many times over the years & there are no definitive answers. Until/unless Homeland Security (HS) publicly posts an official answer, I would assume that once contacted by HS like this, you are on a list & should act accordingly. To act otherwise is to tempt fate. I would also NOT respond unless through an attorney or mandated by law to do so, or make any attempt to acquire the confiscated goods.

I wouldn't sweat it, OP. You're still innocent until proven otherwise. As the letter suggests, they just want to hear from you within the time stated. If you don't respond, the item is destroyed. Do you get entered on some database? Well, I imagine that stands to reason since there has to be some CYA documentation/record whether you call them or not. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "watch list", though. Pun not intended.

By the way, did your package come through Chicago?

Hey Guys! In answering a question, My watch was boosted in Chicago. The letter I got stated that I would receive a form within 30 days, and it would let me know what my options are. Here is a scan:

IMG_20150120_083752279_zpsvppnrys8.jpg

Kindest Thanks To Everyone For Their Input!!!!

• Like 1

you really have no options.

that watch is gone. not a thing you can do about it.

its not like youre gonna talk them in to sending you your counterfeit watch. its not a misunderstanding. you ordered illegal items through the mail.

just let you TD know. most will send a replacement.

Hey Guys! In answering a question, My watch was boosted in Chicago. The letter I got stated that I would receive a form within 30 days, and it would let me know what my options are. Here is a scan:

IMG_20150120_083752279_zpsvppnrys8.jpg

Kindest Thanks To Everyone For Their Input!!!!

Just tried to PM you, but can't. Could you try and PM me?