When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pocketwatches: Will they make a comeback?

dbane883

Anyone use a pocketwatch routinely?

I guess I just havent noticed how cheap vintage pocket watches are until recently.    Browsing through the upcoming Antiquorum catalog, I see that there are several pocket watches up for auction and one can pick up a 18k Patek for about $1500.  Heck, I've spent more on a single bezel insert than that.

http://www.antiquorum.com/catalog/lots/patek-philippe-lot-289-135?brand_facet=PATEK+PHILIPPE&page=1

medium_135.jpg

I guess at these prices, the comeback is not happening anytime soon.   Or pocket watches are severely undervalued and/or wristwatches are severely overvalued. 

They might make vary limited comeback, but I don't see a big surge in pocket watch sales or use, except as a source for movements to build beautiful wristwatches  like the ones AJ builds. My primary reason is folks today dress for comfort and even when guys have a suit on at work, I seriously doubt that they are going to be sporting a pocket watch on a gold chain, and definitely not guys in jeans and T shirts. Unfortunately, I believe the pocket watch being used in it's true form as a pocket watch has seen it's day, it is relegated to history, along with steam engines, Model T's and buggy whips. Sort of sad, because their are some beautiful examples from very famous makers that can be had for a fraction of the price of wristwatches from the same makers. Brutal example of supply and demand. Too many watches, not enough buyers. 

No not unless you have somewhere to put it, most do not wear a vest even if in a suit which they are perfect for. Unless the majority of males start dressing up in suits with vests how can they.

I've never owned a pair of jeans that did not have a watch pocket.

Most of my suit pants have an inside watch pocket as well.

I wear when whenever I wear black tie, but otherwise I can't see myself ever doing so in general wear.

Too bad...

I've never owned a pair of jeans that did not have a watch pocket.

Too bad...

I'm a young guy and unfortunately I live in one of the hipster capitals of the world and the wearing of something like a pocket watch come come off very inauthentic, that being said most hipsters don't carry a pocket-watch from 1899 they carry a crappy quartz thing. Also I find a wristwatch easier for general use, and I can't wear both :p

With the smart phone the pocket watch has indeed made a comeback.

Unfortunately this is kind of true.. 

But I really do like pocket watches, not sure if I would ever wear one but it's a great piece of watchmaking and that's what I love about it :)

Dont ever see it Coming even mechanical wristwatches are a dying breed In my opinion

It will be interesting to see what impact the Apple watch has on low to mid range watch sales.  I see lots of young people wearing watches, but since I work in a hospital setting, I suppose they feel that a watch is necessary. Seems like more women than men wear watches, but I'm not sure it's for utility or a fashion statement!!

Apple plans on selling 1 million of the gold watch edition.....per month!

To relate these figures: by March 2014 somewhere on earth the 500 millionth Iphone was sold.

And the pocketwatch until recently still could be used as a fashionable dress accessoire, but to me it just has become antiquated fast. Still was happy in catching a cal 616 Cortébert Speciale and I´m quite impressed how it simply winds with a solid, smooth&agreeable touch and works with total reliability after all these Years.

C616G_2898_zpsb58ba0c7.jpg

C616G_2901c_zpsebd6f87b.jpg

and there is an inherent charme and def. beauty in pocket-watches:)

Breguet_2839_zps5b722384.jpg

Breguet_2841_zpsffdeb2d5.jpg

Breguet_2847_zps2527b688.jpg

Breguet_2844_zps8e3bceb0.jpg

Breguet_2843_zps87de44a6.jpg

Breguet_2848_zps713c7810.jpg

Well... If steampunk fashion will spread we will see more of them (together with more titanic steel wristwatch by Romain Gerome for the rich ones):

480a44b047391c8842b24133052cf7db.jpg

steampunk_pirate.jpg

5482784_f520.jpg

Ah, and if you find it too extravagant, well these are the SP girls:

sexy-steampunk-woman.jpg

steampunk_fashion_by_directionsforpest-d

steampunk_upskirt.jpg

I wouldn't regret seeing them around :D

• 2 weeks later...