When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New GMT incorrect hand stack

lillo

I have seen the ultimate best GMT from Noob

http://pure-time.com/product/gmt-master-ii-116710-ln-black-ceramic-11-noob-best-edition-a2836-v2/

I love this watch but also this  GMT have incorrect hand stack. The old correct hand stack was a bad movement , this IHS is affordable, ok. But is not similar to gen.

If you have a GMT, in  your experience, this is a bad and visible defect, or is very difficult to see ?

Thanks for help.

In MHO, the hand stack is not very noticeable. The bezel was a bigger tell. Haven't seen the new one on the V2 yet. But if it's as good as the new Sub, your gonna love the GMT V2. Even in these close up pics you can barely see the difference unless you know what you are looking at.

post-60916-0-19082500-1425539756_thumb.j

post-60916-0-12353900-1425539770_thumb.j

Like most have said, the ICHS is pretty much not and issue, unless you happen to meet someone who knows what to look for and it happens that it's right when the hour hand is covering up the GMT hand. If a person who happens to know about the GMT hand stack, they can see this from several feet away. Instant tell. However I would bet that about 90% of GMT owners could not tell you the hand stack order without looking at their watches!! Only a WIS would know.
I believe much more apparent tells(and maybe all of these have been corrected by later versions) are
1. Bezel- size and depth of numbers, plus the platinum finish has not been duplicated
2. Crystal - early models did not have the AR'ed crystal
3. Dial - some models have almost perfect dials, but some were not so good, dial surrounds are too thick, colors off

Here is a down and dirty photo taken a while ago this graphically illustrates the "instant tell" with the ICHS movement. As you can see the hour hand is covering the GMT hand which is incorrect. However while it will be apparent for around 30 minutes, only someone who happens to see your watch close up and actually knows  how it's supposed to look would be able to tell.

this watch has a genuine dial, genuine bezel and insert as well as a genuine crystal, so pretty much everything has been done except for the CHS movement. When Sneed12 built mine, he told me that the gen dial is thicker than the rep, and since the CHS movement is a little taller, he wasn't sure that it was even possible to use a gen dial and CHS movement.

post-327-0-47196600-1425672177_thumb.jpg

Here's a great thread over on RWI in which a member is showing side by side pics of his gen parts compared to the new V2.  He lays the insert on top of the gen insert and you cannot see any difference.  He said the only difference is in the right lighting at the right angle, the gen turns a sort of brownish hue.  but my gosh, you cannot tell the difference at all in most lighting situations.  He said, and his pics prove, that it is that freaking good.  Seriously.  The dial and bezel insert are fan-freeking-tastic.  

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/212145-Noob-Released-GMT-Master-II-v2

It would be nice to have a really good one right out the box, because I'm here to tell you, the parts to build one of these aren't cheap!! I built mine a couple of years ago, and the parts weren't cheap then, and I can imagine they are much higher now.

Here's a great thread over on RWI in which a member is showing side by side pics of his gen parts compared to the new V2. He lays the insert on top of the gen insert and you cannot see any difference. He said the only difference is in the right lighting at the right angle, the gen turns a sort of brownish hue. but my gosh, you cannot tell the difference at all in most lighting situations. He said, and his pics prove, that it is that freaking good. Seriously. The dial and bezel insert are fan-freeking-tastic.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/212145-Noob-Released-GMT-Master-II-v2

the hour hand still looks a bit fat to me..

If that's all you got, then it's pretty good.

Seriously, we could nitpick the shape of the GMT hand's shaft. The rep shaft is a long, flat rectangle but the gen is skinnier and has curvature to it. That's more apparent but nobody will ever notice those details.

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Mine has gen bezel, gen insert and gen dial. Where can i get a chs movement and gen hands (chromalight)? Thanks

Before you invest in a CHS movement, which come up for sale on the forums every once in a while, I would check with some of the guys who have built these frankens. The ones that come to mind are steed12 and misiekped. Steed built mine, and he had a really nice thread with lots of photos here in this forum. If you read my post above, I stated that when I was building mine, I asked steed about putting a CHS movement in at the time. His answer was he wasn't sure that it would work with a gen dial, as the gen dials are thicker than the rep dials, and the CHS movement is taller than the ICHS movement. He felt like there would be issues getting everything to work properly. Just like back a few years ago, there were a few of us who were interested in using an ETA 2893-2 movement in place of the 2836. A few folks were able to get the movement to work, but it took a lot of doing an every one of the folks who did it said " never again"!!

So my advice would be to do your homework before you shell out the money on a movement, which probably would have to come from a new watch you purchase and cannibalize for the movement.

AFA the hands, they probably come up for dale occasionally on some of the gen forums, and possibly some of the guys here that have access to genuine parts could get the hands for you. check the parts for sale forum and PM some of the folks who are selling genuine parts.