When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When will we see decent gator or croc straps on reps?

gasebah

It always strikes me that this problem is so overlooked. When it comes to the watch itself we are talking about details which can only be identified with a loupe, but the straps of even the superreps scream fake from a mile away. It is almost ridiculous.

I was lucky and found a gen gator strap at a decent price for my new Rad but I still paid almost as much as for the watch itself. There must be a solution for this from the rep makers, or not?

-Alwx 

Only if we are all prepared to pay an additional $100 or more on the initial cost!

I always go to OEM on reps of great quality and sometimes aftermarket such as Orloff and Peter who are both brilliant. The attached is an Orloff on my modded Fiddy and it is simply awesome and as I have said many times before, a good watch becomes a great watch with the right strap :-)

Regards

AJ

post-48021-0-76316400-1427530756_thumb.j

It always strikes me that this problem is so overlooked. When it comes to the watch itself we are talking about details which can only be identified with a loupe, but the straps of even the superreps scream fake from a mile away. It is almost ridiculous.

I was lucky and found a gen gator strap at a decent price for my new Rad but I still paid almost as much as for the watch itself. There must be a solution for this from the rep makers, or not?

-Alwx

Have you looked at the prices of anything with genuine Alligator hide? Caiman is a little cheaper, but they are both expensive. One problem is because watch straps are so small, the scales have to be small, which means they have to come from hides from small gators. the yield is small because not only are the hides small, but the part of the hide that straps are made from are even smaller. I doubt that you will find a quality American Alligator strap for less than 100.00 USD, and usually they are much more.Don't expect great straps on reps anytime soon. And as tony said, I would prefer they concentrate on the watch head, I can supply the strap. 

I am actually waiting for a couple of these.

Around 30$ for real croc is a great price. Shall see how they looks when they'll be here :)

They all are from Vietnam, regardless what the seller declares.http://m.ebay.com/sch/vydzua/m.html?isRefine=true

Andhttp://m.ebay.com/sch/vnhandcraftart/m.html?isRefine=true

That's what I am talking about. This is what should come with the reps in the first place. I appreciate that a lot of guys are into aftermarket straps. But if I buy a watch I at least want to be able to wear it out of the box. No can do with the ugly stuff they are equipped with. Also there are already so many options it wouldn't hurt to supply a decent strap with 50-90 USD uplift.

Also: Many of the guys here are into Panerai and you have an endless selection here. But when it comes to AP, Patek or special deployment buckles it's another story. You can search the net like forever and more often then not you end up with a pretty pricy solution.

Edited by gasebah

Also: Many of the guys here are into Panerai and you have an endless selection here. But when it comes to AP, Patek or special deployment buckles it's another story. You can search the net like forever and more often then not you end up with a pretty pricy solution.

True one of the reasons I stay away from those , I need to buy custom all the time as good or bad to short for me.

Panerai has always been in the forefront AFA strap changes. With the simple screw in lug screws, it's just so simple to change, as opposed to AP's that at times would try the patience of a saint!! I suppose because of this, there are so many PAM straps for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk