When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 1002 for the wife

droptopman

Here is the story. I wanted to get my wife a watch for our anniversary this summer. Over the years, I have bought her a couple Gucci’s, a few Movado’s, and a Cartier. All gens. She does not wear any of them. In fact hardly ever wears a watch unless we are going out for something formal. So I took her to the AD and was planning on buying her a new Rolex. I thought she would like the floral dial 31mm with diamonds. She hated it…actually she really did not like the modern Rolex’s much.

So the next weekend we looked at hundreds of pictures on line and it was interesting. She likes watches from the 50’s and 60’s. She does not care for date windows or cyclops and prefers domed plexi’s and Oyster bracelets. Really quite funny as that is also what I prefer…so it narrows down what models to pick from. She liked the 34mm size so we looked at a bunch of 5500’s and 1002’s. She did not care for the Air King text on the dial so in the end—out of all the watches she looked at, she likes a 1002 all SS with silver dial, dome plexi and oyster band. After I figured out what she wanted, I dropped it so I could surprise her.

I started looking at gens and found plenty for very reasonable prices. Around this time Matt had sent me pictures of a beautiful 1500 franken with black dial. So I told Matt the story about getting a watch for Trish and what she wanted and a couple days later he sends me a picture of a perfect genuine late 60’s 1002 silver dial. Then Matt sends me a picture of a complete 1002 that is exactly like the watch my wife picked out in our search. Matt has done many builds for me, but as many of you know doing a build for your wife is a whole another level and quite honestly it seemed more important than my builds…well except maybe my 6538.

Cannot thank Matt enough, he is a first class gentleman and one of my favorite people on the planet. Thank you my friend.

Specs:
Gen case set (mid case, back, bezel, crown, tube)
Gen dial
Gen hands
Gen crystal
Italian made Oyster bracelet and Matt’s buckle. Was going to get a gen bracelet, but Matt recommended this one and it is really nice.
ETA 2824

Was going to surprise her with this before we go on vacation in the middle of May, but I could not wait and gave it to her a couple of days ago. She absolutely loves it and is wearing it daily now.
A couple of pics from my phone.

aaf1f5aa67f74cbf4a252e50781cc752.jpg
63e0c694ae133c2022e1048a9e315b52.jpg
bb4faf837fd01a114bb19172a42c124e.jpg
00e29a99978712d3b5a94c184963903e.jpg
1f21223c3ff7e2ca41a14f52286b5fa4.jpg

• Like 3

I can't say enough good things about Matt. He is a truly great guy, and he has really good sources for vintage parts. He has done a bunch of watches for me, builds and repairs. True Southern gentleman.

Droptopman, that's a beautiful watch, and I'm sure your wife is going to love it and wear it! You have the same problem I do, I buy my wife something nice for Anniversary, Birthday or Christmas, and end up giving it to her before the date, then guess what? Gotta get something else for "the day"!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Very nice! Congratulations on your anniversary!

My wife is just like yours.... Barely ever wears a watch. Her last Rolex sat around for 10 years!

Question, how does that movement fit in the gen car? Have any pictures?

Thank you for the kind words.  I did not get any pictures of the movement on this one.  I will ask Matt, but I believe the crown position and size on the 2824 matches up to this case perfectly and is an easy install.  I assume since these dials are not that hard to come by that he cut the feet and used dial dots, but I know in some cases he will drill the main plate to accept the genuine feet positions.  He used genuine Tudor hands which fit the ETA without modification.   

• 2 months later...

Wow, that's a beauty! I was looking to do something like that for my wife...not sure I want her that interested. We can only afford one of us with a watch obsession.

LMAO, i got the GF now fiance into fast cars, and shes always loved watches has many cheap ones, so after she kept taking my Gens I have had to buy some Reps to give her....as a hairdresser she was getting Chemicals and $hit all over things not realiziing sentiments or costs lol....too many costly hobbies, as engagement present I threw in nice new TISSOT she wears daily now, matches the rings well