When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This 6538 Worth It?

Guest REPPIN

Guest REPPIN

So is this vintage watchmaker (Phong Presumably) worth it?

I have been looking at doing a 6538 franken with a 5k budget. But hes got this thing for sale for $5,500 and I just don't know if I can spend all the time and energy building and sourcing parts for a franken when he's got a complete watch for only about $500 more...and thats IF I could find all the parts for 5k. 

Here it is here: http://www.vintagewatchmaker.com/product-p/w-01.htm

What do you guys think???

If you click on complete watches it then takes you to the menu for all of the complete builds. You can even buy complete watch kits that are only missing the movement. My guess is they show out of stock because it is a build to order deal. They aren't going to assemble one and have it sit there, although they do have one Tudor already assembled.

I'd be curious to find out opinions because I'm certainly no expert in this area, but my uneducated thought is this is a lot of money for nothing gen except a movement. Every part is Phong. Our brethren who build these super gen parts frankens are only using a couple of Phong parts - the mid case and sometimes bezel, so in the end you'd still be on the hunt for a better crown, a better dial, a better insert, hands, etc.

If that's the case, and you are going all rep with only a gen movement, then why not go Yuki and save a few grand?

Edited by Mendota Explorer

^ yup

Ideally for the lowest cost but good build it should be phong case, genuine fat font insert (really helps but phong's red triangle insert is acceptable), 1030 movement, minh dial at the very least, Michael young hands, genuine 8mm brevet crown, genuine t17 (extremely important) and a rep rivet band is ok.

That's 5000$ in parts without a genuine insert. Does not include the cost of putting it together and having the movement serviced. So imo You have to be committed to spending that.

^ yup

Ideally for the lowest cost but good build it should be phong case, genuine fat font insert (really helps but phong's red triangle insert is acceptable), 1030 movement, minh dial at the very least, Michael young hands, genuine 8mm brevet crown, genuine t17 (extremely important) and a rep rivet band is ok.

That's 5000$ in parts without a genuine insert. Does not include the cost of putting it together and having the movement serviced. So imo You have to be committed to spending that.

I really need a big crown  :__(

Edited by quaresma7

I looked at Phongs complete builds when researching build plans on my 6538.  Nice, but I knew a few of the parts I would want genuine.  For that kind of money total satisfaction should be the goal.  So while a nice piece, my thought was that I would have to replace the crystal, crown, insert and bracelet with gen so decided to do it from scratch.  Not to mention there is a much better dial and hands option.  As CC stated, plan on 5K for a starting point and if you add a genuine bracelet and insert that increases quickly...Good luck

• Like 1

total satisfaction should be the goal ... would have to replace the crystal, crown, insert and bracelet with gen so decided to do it from scratch.

Precisely.  You can build a very nice little Big Crown for very little money.  But if this is more than just an itch you want to scratch this month, if it's something you want to keep a couple decades, then you need a GOOD case, dial, crown, crystal, bezel and insert.  Buying what Phong interprets as "good" parts isn't really the right way to do it.  What looks right to YOU?

This means you need to do your homework and figure out what's "right" in your eye.  Then you painstakingly assemble that watch.

It's kinda like the kid at high school and his parents bought him a Vette, and he knows absolutely nothing about it.  I'd rather be the kid that brought an old beater back from the brink, rebuilt the engine, painted it, got some blood on the parts, and can tell you EVERYTHING about that car.

• Like 5

Precisely.  You can build a very nice little Big Crown for very little money.  But if this is more than just an itch you want to scratch this month, if it's something you want to keep a couple decades, then you need a GOOD case, dial, crown, crystal, bezel and insert.  Buying what Phong interprets as "good" parts isn't really the right way to do it.  What looks right to YOU?

This means you need to do your homework and figure out what's "right" in your eye.  Then you painstakingly assemble that watch.

It's kinda like the kid at high school and his parents bought him a Vette, and he knows absolutely nothing about it.  I'd rather be the kid that brought an old beater back from the brink, rebuilt the engine, painted it, got some blood on the parts, and can tell you EVERYTHING about that car.

^ This!  :clap2:

just posted in another thread but Phongs got a case right now with exceptional lugs. this came a few days ago.

this is without any work done by him because I am having the "masterbeveler" rework the case. I also only bought the case/caseback/bezel set from him, since I had everything else, which he gave me a good price on (just ask). there are good deals to be found on the correct gen parts, just gotta look...

post-2625-0-02337500-1430327941_thumb.jp

@lionsandtigers - that is beautiful.  Between his case and our Chamfer King, it will be perfect!  B)  :)  Is there a way you can brass the edges of the bezel to reproduce that worn, brass showing through look?

thanks. special dial as well from another esteemed member :)

yes, the brass is beneath the nickle plating which is being taken off.

Edited by lionsandtigers

thanks. special dial as well from another esteemed member :)

yes, the brass is beneath the nickle plating which is being taken off.

Fantastic!  That is awesome that the bezel is produced in a similar fashion so that you can "wear through" the top layer like that.  You should post a build thread when you have more of your parts back so we can admire the progress.  Great inspiration for us young, padawans. I'm itching to take on one of these super builds, but it is not going to be for a while.  I have to get my feet wet with some budget builds, first.

Fantastic!  That is awesome that the bezel is produced in a similar fashion so that you can "wear through" the top layer like that.  You should post a build thread when you have more of your parts back so we can admire the progress.  Great inspiration for us young, padawans. I'm itching to take on one of these super builds, but it is not going to be for a while.  I have to get my feet wet with some budget builds, first.

all parts are collected and build is happening now. here's the case with the gen long 5 insert. the rest of the parts arent really that interesting other then being gen, except the dial, which I have no shots of.

post-2625-0-39602400-1430332183_thumb.jp

• Like 1

all parts are collected and build is happening now. here's the case with the gen long 5 insert. the rest of the parts arent really that interesting other then being gen, except the dial, which I have no shots of.

Looks like yours may get completed before mine.  My fault decided I wanted custom engravings so that took another few weeks......looking forward to seeing yours completed.    

By the ways guys, this is simply phong in disguise

DH

FWIW, vintagewatchmaker is actually Phong's son Jensen.  Starting a 6263 project with one of his mid cases I just picked up, and would have to agree with most insomuch that Phong/Jensen mid cases are as good as its gets without going gen (for mid cases specifically).  Once you start getting into the thousands of dollars area, the way to go is Phong mid case and gen everything else, IMVHO.  It's a long road to travel, but well worth it in the end I think.  And also, Jensen is a SUPEr nice person with fantastic communication and customer service.  I'll do business with him again no question and recomemnd him highly to anyone looking to build a near-completely gen vintage piece

Looks like yours may get completed before mine.  My fault decided I wanted custom engravings so that took another few weeks......looking forward to seeing yours completed.    

I got the custom engravings. had the case 4 days from when I ordered. guess because I have bought a few cases from him before?? unless you specifically had him send the case somewhere else for the engravings