When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Important Announcement - Final Reminder

Finepics

Well no responses to e-mails and his PM box being full doesn't allow one to know if they were in the first mailing or am suppose to be waiting. I was told March 1st it would be going out the next week. :rolleyes:

How many people are still waiting for their DW's from Mark? Anyone receive one recently? Anyone heard anything new from Mark? I can be patient when things are communicated.

I'm still patiently waiting for mine to arrive. A few members have reported receiving theirs 3 weeks ago. Hopefully mine will arrive soon.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my watch as a house guest of The Zigmeister's for months...Rob hasn't heard from Mark either. Anyword would be great. I just want an update to find out if I should have The Zigmeister just send back my watch at this point. I'm glad Brian(Chieftang) got his but has anyone else?

Hey Brian:

Did you install one of your cyclops with the new datewheel or just the datewheel? hoping mine shows up so that The Zigmeister can send my lost son home. also, does the 063 genuine have a single sided AR or NO AR?

:victory:

Hey Brian:

Did you install one of your cyclops with the new datewheel or just the datewheel? hoping mine shows up so that The Zigmeister can send my lost son home. also, does the 063 genuine have a single sided AR or NO AR?

:victory:

No AR. But to be honest, I really want to put a single coat of AR on this thing anyhow... AR is addictive!! The 063 that I bought a while ago had already been modded by The Zigmeister with a watchmen cyclops. I left it alone.

The Zigmeister could not install the datewheel on my 2893 Pam 29. He said that they will only work with 2836 based movements. I hope everyone else has better luck.

Regards.

Hi, all, I spoke to The Zigmeister about this, and it appears as though my particular 2893 datewheel is different than any he has seen. Typically he says the 289X variants have flat datewheels with the teeth on the same plane as the numbers. The 2836 wheels, however, have recessed teeth.

Well, as luck would have it, my original 2893 datewheel had recessed teeth also. And so Mark's wheel fits. Here are pics of my original 2893 datewheel if you want to compare with yours:

233388-11757.jpg

233388-11758.jpg

The Chieftand one is the first I have seen of the 2892 series that is not a flat datewheel.

All the ones I have in house (genuine 2892 movements) as well as every one sent to me, including the 2893-2 models, have flat datewheels, and the ones being sent out have the lip on them...

So far my success rate installing them is 0. I have another one in house now (2893-2), and will try it over the weekend to see if it fits.

RG

The Chieftand one is the first I have seen of the 2892 series that is not a flat datewheel.

All the ones I have in house (genuine 2892 movements) as well as every one sent to me, including the 2893-2 models, have flat datewheels, and the ones being sent out have the lip on them...

So far my success rate installing them is 0. I have another one in house now (2893-2), and will try it over the weekend to see if it fits.

RG

That's a little discouraging. I bought a datewheel specifically for the 2893-2 GMT movement. Oh well.......

RG

OMG......This is the 2nd blow after the 7753 datewheel...lots of $$$ spent for nothing :angry:

I don't have my watch in hand to compare. Its been sitting with a modder waiting. To say this is a bit disturbing is putting it mildly.

Chieftang - did you pick up your 2893 during the GB with EL about 7-8 months ago?

Nope. Bought it used from a forum member about 6 months ago. I was under the impression that it was an older watch, probably well over a year by now.

My 2892-A2 (PR movement) datewheel from Finepics fits perfectly.

I would tell it is flat.

I exchanged several PMs about the DW with Finepics months ago (too bad I deleted them), and I can assure you that he was more than aware of each and any differences between 2893 and 2892-A2 DWs.

I believed to understand that the 2892-A2 DW was flat, while the 2893 DW had recessed teeth. I know nothing about the 2836.

Perhaps there has been some mix-up between DWs when Finepics shipped them?

Or might this problem come from genuine-ETA vs ETA-copy issues?

Perhaps there has been some mix-up between DWs when Finepics shipped them?

Or might this problem come from genuine-ETA vs ETA-copy issues?

That was the possibility I assumed. But when I tried to install one last week (with the recess), and the one in the watch was flat (2893-2) I informed the owner.

He wrote to Finepics, who said that I did not know what I was talking about, and added this:

The 2893 and 2836 wheels are identical. I already have ..one of them fitted in my 2893 PAM 063 - the same wheel as you have.

So from that quote, I would be lead to believe that 2836 datewheels are being sent out for 2893's, after all they are identical...

Since I was told that I was not correct, I took pictures of my 2893-2 wheel which is as flat as can be, with no recessed teeth, and showed it next to the Finepics one which had recessed teeth. If you read the above quote, there lies the problem as far as I am concerned, misinformation. Which is why I said earlier that he's sending out 2836 datewheels for the 2893, because he claims that they are the same...other than the Chieftang one pictured above, I have never seen a 2892 or 2893 with a recessed wheel, they are all flat in my experience...

I do have a new 2893-2 in house now, that I will open and look at soon, and maybe it's got the recessed one, but based on what I have seen so far, it's probably flat.

This is not a mix up, or a gen vs copy issue, it's the fact that there are many variants in these movements, and you can't assume that everything is the same just from looking at one or two watches. If I order a 2892 or 2893 datewheel from my supplier, I get a flat one, there are no options for others...and each and every 2892 series I have seen, or have in my spares bins is flat. So it would appear the recessed ones are not the norm, but the exception.

What should have been done, was to find out what style the owner had in his watch, and send the correct one, flat or recessed.

RG

This is not a mix up, or a gen vs copy issue, it's the fact that there are many variants in these movements, and you can't assume that everything is the same just from looking at one or two watches. If I order a 2892 or 2893 datewheel from my supplier, I get a flat one, there are no options for others...and each and every 2892 series I have seen, or have in my spares bins is flat. So it would appear the recessed ones are not the norm, but the exception.

What should have been done, was to find out what style the owner had in his watch, and send the correct one, flat or recessed.

From what I am reading, it seems that the recessed ones 'may' fit in any of the movements, but the movements that require the recess could not take the flat one, as the recess is there for clearance to another component of the watch... Is this correct?

From what I am reading, it seems that the recessed ones 'may' fit in any of the movements, but the movements that require the recess could not take the flat one, as the recess is there for clearance to another component of the watch... Is this correct?

The recessed ones won't work in watches that require the flat because when you install the dial, it'll rub.

So really, you need the right date wheel, flat or recessed, based on what's already in there and not necessarily based on movement type since there seems to be variance from movement to movement. My 2893 with recessed tooth wheel happens to be on its way to The Zigmeister right now so he can take a look at it.

The recessed ones won't work in watches that require the flat because when you install the dial, it'll rub.

So really, you need the right date wheel, flat or recessed, based on what's already in there and not necessarily based on movement type since there seems to be variance from movement to movement. My 2893 with recessed tooth wheel happens to be on its way to Ziggy right now so he can take a look at it.

That's how I see it as well.

If you want to maintain the correct dial to datewheel spacing etc, then the simple solution is to see what type of wheel you have, and have the correct one sent in for that particular watch.

RG